Overall rating and opinion of "McDowell"

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Aniza Butt
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Coopers Law by Wendy Blundell

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "McDowell"

Post by Aniza Butt » 06 Mar 2019, 10:46

My rating is 3 out of 4. I liked the character development of McDowell. The author seemed somewhat defending Hiram's crime of killing his nephew. Otherwise it was a great book.
I would recommend it to everyone who is trying to overcome his inner demons. The book might provide them a good direction but i think the end isn't satisfying. The outcome of virtuous acts can't so cruel.
"A Day May Come When The Courage of Men Fails.....
But It is Not This Day..This Day We FIGHT!!!"
~Aragorn~

Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 » 26 Mar 2019, 23:18

It's a great book. In this book, various aspects of human nature are depicted by different characters in a very convincing manner. It's impossible to not like Hiram's character with his numerous faults and the endearing qualities he develops in the latter part of the book. What I liked most about was the amazing character development of not only Hiram but also of Sophia. I didn't like over-descriptiveness. But, despite that I'd definitely, recommend it to others.

yeancha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yeancha.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by yeancha » 29 Mar 2019, 09:00

I haven't read it yet, but would really like to check it out

Kansas City Teacher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Conflict on the Yangtze by Greg Kater

Post by Kansas City Teacher » 15 May 2019, 15:52

I gave this story a good rating. You must read all the way through the book to fully appreciate it. As the story unfolds, the character must deal with the aftermath of the crime he committed and face the choices he has made. The issues of human nature and psychological concepts of conformity addressed in this novel are applicable to any culture, and any age group. What I liked most about the book was that there were no heroes - only normal people doing normal things.

Kansas City Teacher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Conflict on the Yangtze by Greg Kater

Post by Kansas City Teacher » 21 May 2019, 15:55

I found this book very interesting and thought it was well-written. To those who could not read it, I would say that you must read it to the very end. The book has a well-developed plot with many twists and turns. The character actually changes throughout the story, and although he is unlikable at first, but I could identify with him towards the middle and the end.

Kaylee123
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee123.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kaylee123 » 28 May 2019, 19:35

I wasn't sure I would like McDowell at first, but I ended up really enjoying it once things actually started to happen. The first chunk of the book was so boring to me!

I found Hiram McDowell to be such an unlikeable character the first part of the book giving background and talking about his accomplishments was very off-putting to me. I also disliked that it was hard to tell how much time went by in between chapters.

Once a key event happened I was shocked by the events that followed. I couldn't stop reading!

I would give McDowell a 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend others read it if they have the patience to get through the boring (yet necessary) beginning of the book. I find it amazing that I could hate the main character so much but still enjoy the book!

Shalu1707
Favorite Book: The Vampire Diaries
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalu1707.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Shalu1707 » 31 May 2019, 00:22

I think it was grasping one, the story holds you till the very last as to see what this man is capable of even in the end it was a good one and I ll give it 4 stars

kelseydwf
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 72
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelseydwf.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by kelseydwf » 04 Jun 2019, 18:47

Based on the official review of this book, it sounds intriguing! I love vibrant, realistic characters, flaws and all. I don't necessarily have to personally like a character to enjoy their presence in the book. I'd definitely be interested in reading more. Some editing errors would be distracted, but I can get past just a few.
"A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved." -Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”