Do you think the raven magic in "Apollo's Raven" is an homage to George R.R. Martin's 3-Eyed Raven in ASOIAF Series?

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
KnightReader
Currently Reading: A Knight to Remember
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knightreader.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Icon Do you think the raven magic in "Apollo's Raven" is an homage to George R.R. Martin's 3-Eyed Raven in ASOIAF Series?

Post by KnightReader »

Apologies if I had accidentally ruffled feathers by the mere suggestion. (Sorry for the pun ^_^)

Such is not my intention, and I'm just honestly curious.

Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but you can't deny that the similarities are there... Like the physical connection with the raven and the seeing of the past and future.

What do you guys think? I'm interested in your opinion! :D
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

Both ASOIAF and Apollo's Raven are based (at least partially) from western myth and legend (British, Celtic, Greek, etc). If anything, Martin took the concept from the same traditions that Tanner did. Ravens have been a part of religious iconography and mythology for a very long time, as have the idea of seerers/oracles/mystics seeing into the past and future (see the mythological Norse stories of Odin and his ravens for that same kind of connection).
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I definitely see similarities between this novel and game of thrones. Even if it is an homage to game of thrones and the thre eyed raven I think it is unique and very well written
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

I definitely see similarities between this novel and game of thrones. Even if it is an homage to game of thrones and the thre eyed raven I think it is unique and very well written
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

I definitely saw similarities but I think the author made the book unique and her storylines were creative and well written.
CBCollinsReview
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbcollinsreview.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by CBCollinsReview »

No, I do not think this is a direct reference. Rather, I think the use of the bird in Apollo's Raven as well as Game of Thrones is to convey images of wisdom and prophecy. It is Ironic however that in both stories a mortal is mentally linked to a bird. I suspect there is some Celtic history behind this choice as well, but I am not certain.
princemichael612
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by princemichael612 »

definitely i also see similarities between this novel and game of thrones. Even if it is an homage to game of thrones and the the eyed raven I think it is unique and very well written,I would say
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I see similarities, but also differences between the raven in this novel and the three-eyed raven in GOT/ASOIAF.

It took Bran going through an accident and then going on a long journey to meet the Tree-Eyed Raven, before he could become his successor. IE, the next Three-eyed Raven.

With Catrin, she already has that gift at the beginning of the novel; and it is a magic that is forbidden by her father. Yet, she uses her gift to the benefit of her kingdom.

At the same time, when reading how she saw through the Raven's eyes, as it soared above the ships and she saw her exiled brother...it kind of reminded me of when Bran saw the Night King and his army.

I do agree with what others have said, that the Raven is a popular symbol in a lot of mythology. Perhaps GRRM and Linnea Tanner are inspired by the same mythology.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

I think there are enough differences in the plots that they are not related.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

I love Martin’s series, but I don’t think Tanner was writing the Raven because of Martin. I think the similarities are because both authors took inspiration from the same myths and cultures.

Around the world ravens are revered for their intelligence, and so the stories cloak them in magic and mystery. Humans have long sought answers for their future, so why wouldn’t they connect ravens with foretelling?
writestuff
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writestuff.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by writestuff »

Wow so interesting,i read amulets rapture and immediately thought of the three eyed crow. The crow is such a strong part of so many cultures that the connections are endless
Marsnikk
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsnikk.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Marsnikk »

I think both are from long standing Norse mythology, though I appreciated the sensory details provided in Apollo’s Raven more than in GOT.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I agree. I definitely feel that the raven is right out of ASOIAF. In fact, when I read the title of the book, I totally imagined the three-eyed raven shown in GOT.
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

It was only when I read this question that I noticed how much the 'raven magic' is similar. In both cases you have characters who are able to see the past, present and future, and can even take the form of that animal.
But the raven has always been considered a mystic animal in a lot of cultures. So I wouldn't say that this is a homage, but the authors taking inspiration from similar myths.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Considering the mythology, I don't think it was intentional. It is most likely a coincidence. Although, it is a possibility that the idea was brought about when reading/watching GOT. I guess it depends on what each author was hoping to perceive.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”