Why a Raven?

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Why a Raven?

Post by Jsovermyer »

Why do you think that Catrin was connected to a raven? Do you think that a raven is a good choice? Why not a dove or another bird? Why not an animal like a dog or a cat?
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

The raven had a dark side...it went on the attack when someone threatened Catrin and neither she nor anyone else could repel her attacker. A dove is an image of peace, so literarily, it wouldn't work in the role the raven filled. As far as any other animal, it needed to be a bird. A ground animal couldn't give her the bird's eye view she needed at times. Plus the flight of a bird was symbolic of the flight to the Otherworld.
fictaddict
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictaddict.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by fictaddict »

I thought it was a good choice! It worked as a druidic symbol, and it also matched Catrin's personality. Ravens are smart, lovely birds, but they can be dangerous and attack when threatened.
Uche B
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-b.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Uche B »

Ravens have a human-like intelligence and a high level of reasoning, so I think it was the perfect animal for Catrin.
"Life is more than unpainted fences" - Nomnso Mordi.
Ayisha M Ashruf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayisha-m-ashruf.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ayisha M Ashruf »

In folk legends and stories, raven has always been connected to magic. But often times the raven is portrayed as cunning and even evil. The raven is one of the most intelligent and perceptive in the bird species. So, I think it is perfect for Catrin.
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

I feel in my heart that her dead twin has something to do with the raven spirit she was born with, as her sister would have been born with the same spirit animal but her passing in my opinion only strengthened Catrin's bond with her guide. also as I type this I am reminded of my friend who recently lost her unborn child she has a tattoo of ravens wings near his name. in her ancestral culture the raven is a spirit guide just as it is stated in the book.
Sirlimu01
Currently Reading: Kaiserjaeger
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sirlimu01 »

The use of raven as stated in the book is for the guidance which I think cattered for protection. This is a sign of cultural spirit or spirt of the anceto set into use for guidance. Catrin use this as a bond for her spirit to cover or give couerage to herself
wairimu1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wairimu1.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler

Post by wairimu1 »

As others have said, the raven is a spirit guide. In 'A song of ice and fire', wasn't Brandon Stark guided by a raven too?
Linnea Tanner
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Shadow of the Raven (Book I of Sons of Kings trilogy)
Bookshelf Size: 352

Post by Linnea Tanner »

One of the reasons I selected the raven was because of its strong symbolic meanings in mythology. It is a messenger of the gods and is associated with Apollo. The raven is also associated with the Celtic warrior goddesses--seductresses who can shapeshift into ravens and can foretell which warrior will die in battle. Thus, ravens can easily travel between the physical and spiritual worlds. With Catrin, there is a darker and powerful side to her mystical powers she must sometimes use to survive, as she had to do to fight off Marrock. Her struggle to balance these dark forces within herself will be explored in the series.
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

I think the raven was actually the perfect choice. Ravens are more intelligent than most people know. They are strong, resourceful and loyal. Aside from being a well known symbol in mythology, they represent many traits that Catrin has to possess.
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

A raven lends more mystery. We may recall how Poe used his Raven to say Nevermore. And furthermore, the Raven seems ominous, unlike the Crow which may connote only something dark, or about witches, or the dove which is usually something for divinity. An Eagle would imply power, but not yet applicable to the current status of the protagonist.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

Ayisha M Ashruf wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 00:45 In folk legends and stories, raven has always been connected to magic. But often times the raven is portrayed as cunning and even evil. The raven is one of the most intelligent and perceptive in the bird species. So, I think it is perfect for Catrin.
I agree. It is a perfect fit for many reasons.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Ravens are full of symbolism. They have a strong protective mythology. Raven are kept at the Tower of London because it has been said that it will fall when there are no Ravens there. They are also surprisingly big and very intelligent.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I think the raven is an excellent choice. It can fly tot eh action to witness and the raven has symbolic significance. This no vel is very creative and enjoyable
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

Jsovermyer wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 22:03 Why do you think that Catrin was connected to a raven? Do you think that a raven is a good choice? Why not a dove or another bird? Why not an animal like a dog or a cat?
The raven is a prominent figure in most mythologies and ancient religions. There is often a light and a dark side to this creature. I think that's one of the reasons it was such a good choice for this story.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”