Catrin's twin sister?

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Re: Catrin's twin sister?

Post by winecellarlibrary »

I came here hoping someone who has read the second book may have come back to provide some insight, but it seems no one has yet! This bothered me, too.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Marsnikk
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsnikk.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Marsnikk »

I thought maybe Seren is Catrin, she only emerged as Catrin after the woods.

This is likely my imagination filling the plot hole. It absolutely was a twist that could have had more of an impact if used differently.
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

I only read the first book, so that might be further explored in the other book. But it was random and unnecessary I'd say. She died at the age of twelve so she and Catrin should have grown together and her death should have left a huge impact on her. The loss of a sibling isn't something that is ignored and dismissed like that.
Brianna_MC_griffin97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brianna-mc-griffin97.html
Latest Review: Finding James by Nancy Blaha

Post by Brianna_MC_griffin97 »

In Rhan's curse, only one individual is supposed to join Marrock and overthrow the king. In my opinion, I thought that Rhan killed one of the twins because her curse only mentioned one person killing the king. It boils down to Rhan's revenge. She wanted the king to suffer, so she took away one of his daughters, one of his biological daughters. Also, I thought if Rhan wanted one of the twins dead, then she would have wanted the other one dead as well, but then she would not get her curse to work.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

It was definitely glossed over. So much in fact that I didn't even remember her until I saw this thread! Interesting that it might be foreshadowing and will have some importance in the next books.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

Returning after having read books two and three, I'm here to say that it really never was expanded upon as I had hoped.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Gena Ver
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gena-ver.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Gena Ver »

The revelation about Catrin’s twin sister, Seren, who appeared to have died just a few years ago, since she was only 12 years when she suffered from a deadly fever, did appear to be a bit random in regards to the timing that it was introduced in the story. Furthermore, I felt that this familial disclosure only added to the negative traits that I perceived from Queen Rhiannon. Throughout much of the story, I felt the way Rhiannon treated Catrin was my least favorite interaction, particularly as the plot progressed. After the truth of Catrin’s twin sister and was revealed, it seemed that Rhiannon viewed Catrin as even more of a burden to her life and threat to the family as she appeared to regret saving her before when she was younger, while her other daughter, Seren, she seemed nostalgic and remorseful of for her unexpected, and untimely death. The only perspective I could view Seren from was that of her mother Rhiannon. It would have also been nice to view how Catrin felt about her lost twin sister as well and from her father, King Amren. It is hard to say if Seren’s death had any impact on Catrin since from the story Catrin never really acknowledged or reminisced her past life, not sure if that is because it pains her to think or remember about her twin sister, or simply she had completely moved on from that event.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”