Apollo's Raven, The War Against Fate?

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Apollo's Raven, The War Against Fate?

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Catrin and Marcellus are in love and they both should try their best to create the circumstances favorable between their countries as well as their parents. Do you think the protagonist characters have done this in the story?
Do you think, Apollo's Raven is a war against fate?
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

War against fate is a really good description of Apollo's Raven. After all, they are trying to stop a prophecy from turning into reality.

But as to your first question, I think this is where Marcellus differs from Catrin. As the book progresses, he becomes enamored with the Celtic way of life and sees it as superior to the Roman one. Also, Rome isn't threatened like Catrin's home is, so he doesn't have as much at stake. My prediction is that in the future he might betray the Romans.
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

That's a really great description of the book because it's true Catrin and Marcellus are fighting against fate. This becomes especially true near the end of the book. I can't wait to read the next one to see what happens next.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

AliceofX wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 11:08 War against fate is a really good description of Apollo's Raven. After all, they are trying to stop a prophecy from turning into reality.

But as to your first question, I think this is where Marcellus differs from Catrin. As the book progresses, he becomes enamored with the Celtic way of life and sees it as superior to the Roman one. Also, Rome isn't threatened like Catrin's home is, so he doesn't have as much at stake. My prediction is that in the future he might betray the Romans.
I think Marcellus was feeling the effects of being besotted by Catrin. I expect as he recovers from his wounds he will realize he has missed the comforts of home. Their Civilization was superior in some respects - they had baths! Unfortunate for the Iron Age people in those times but the Romans made a lot of improvements during the time until about 410AD. At which time England fell back to separate warring tribes. They provided the foundation for major roads, plants, animals and a new religion. Some of those roads were converted into Motorways (highways) in more modern times.
Bon0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bon0.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Bon0 »

Well, I don't believe in fate, so I'd go with no. I think that they should fight for what they believe in.
Angelique Bahormal
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelique-bahormal.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Angelique Bahormal »

War against fate is a really good description the book. Trying to stop prophecy from turning into reality.

As Catrin and Marcellus are in love, I don’t think their parents would allow them to live their story as they have to put the people and countries first.
Personally, I think that they should fight for what they believe in.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Britty01 wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 23:34 I think Marcellus was feeling the effects of being besotted by Catrin. I expect as he recovers from his wounds he will realize he has missed the comforts of home. Their Civilization was superior in some respects - they had baths! Unfortunate for the Iron Age people in those times but the Romans made a lot of improvements during the time until about 410AD. At which time England fell back to separate warring tribes. They provided the foundation for major roads, plants, animals and a new religion. Some of those roads were converted into Motorways (highways) in more modern times.
I agree with your way of thinking. Seems to me that Marcellus was never really that interested in Catrin. Sure, he wants her to come home with him, but I think he sees this mostly as a measure to ensure she is not harmed in coming invasions. I'm still not convinced that he truly loves her.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

CommMayo wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 16:58
I agree with your way of thinking. Seems to me that Marcellus was never really that interested in Catrin. Sure, he wants her to come home with him, but I think he sees this mostly as a measure to ensure she is not harmed in coming invasions. I'm still not convinced that he truly loves her.
It seems that Catrin makes the greater sacrifices in this book. Marcellus seems more of a physical lover and physical protector. Catrin seems willing to risk much more including her white raven in order to preserve Marcellus's life. I wasn't so sure when I came to the end of the book whether she saw them together after she saved him or not.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

jgraney8 wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 20:05
CommMayo wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 16:58
It seems that Catrin makes the greater sacrifices in this book. Marcellus seems more of a physical lover and physical protector. Catrin seems willing to risk much more including her white raven in order to preserve Marcellus's life. I wasn't so sure when I came to the end of the book whether she saw them together after she saved him or not.
I got the feeling that there was going to be a big rift between them after the end of the first book.
Shalomsamuels1
Favorite Book: Worm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalomsamuels1.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Shalomsamuels1 »

Well, my issue is that fate is too broad. It seems anything can really change it making fate pointless. How did it not predict Catrin's reactions?
Linnea Tanner
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Shadow of the Raven (Book I of Sons of Kings trilogy)
Bookshelf Size: 352

Post by Linnea Tanner »

War against fate is a good way to describe one of the themes of the book as to whether life is predetermined or can someone change his or her fate by the decisions they make. The power of absolute love will be further explored in the series as Marcellus and Catrin must face the reality of the sacrifices they must make to stay together.
PoisonWhiteRose
Currently Reading: Lion Heart
Bookshelf Size: 1967
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poisonwhiterose.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by PoisonWhiteRose »

That sounds like a very accurate description of the book. The way the book ended also makes it easy to anticipate and look forward to the rest of the series and the manner in which absolute love can be further explored.
"I spent my life folded between the pages of books.My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together.”
― Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me"

Raquel M.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

Maybe not "war" against fate. Maybe "struggle" would be a better word. I don't feel like anyone is really fighting or battling fate. It seems more that they are struggling to escape its confines. So maybe "escape from fate" would be even better. Though, "war against fate" certain sounds better and paints a clear picture.
Stephenchileshe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Stephenchileshe »

I totally agree with "Apollo's Raven" being the war against fate. This comes in where we find the willingness to deviate the Prophecy or even stop it if possible.... My prediction is that, maybe as they are trying to fight against fate, they are taking themselves closer to it.
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

I truly agree its a war against fate but honestly its more of a war against betrayals. How do you right what's been done wrong type of thing. You honestly cant escape fate being that death is still the end but I think its the legacy of the journey to the end that they are fighting to change.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”