Vala, the least established princess

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Re: Vala, the least established princess

Post by amandathebibliophile »

I wonder if the author intended Vala as some kind of metaphor or symbol for the treatment of women in many cases during the time? Traded away...more of an object than a person. It’s terrible to think of it that way, but perhaps there’s some truth to it.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

CommMayo wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 13:26
DC Brown wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 00:22 Love this train of thought. When I read the book I felt the author had written Vala off as unimportant, nearly invisible. Now I wonder if she could hold her own against the Romans!??!
I think that Vala could totally hand those guys their butts. Perhaps she does end up with a love interest in the camps. Hopefully she will be fully explored in another book.
Maybe she will find a man or woman who thinks that strength of character is more important than looks.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

I feel like this happened to a lot of characters in the book. For instance, Catrin's twin sister is mentioned briefly, but never was expanded upon. It would have made sense for Vala to have appeared at the end of the book where Catrin rescues her father.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I agree - the author didn’t spend any time on vala except a superficial description. Since she went to the Roman camp I feel like she should have been given more time in the book.
GretchenLee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gretchenlee.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by GretchenLee »

I was a bit surprised by this as well. Wouldn't the middle princess usually be the least established? Vala is the oldest and yet the king just willingly lets her go as a hostage. Granted, she isn't his daughter but to the outsider's mind, she is.
CBCollinsReview
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbcollinsreview.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by CBCollinsReview »

I agree the Author could have explored this character in greater detail, however, the information provided does give us some insight. We know she is a warrior, which in and of itself gives us a small glimpse into her personality. It would also be nice to know the social perceptions of sexual preference. We know Vala prefers women but is this trait looked upon with disgust, indifference, or admiration from her peers? Hopefully, Vala will be fleshed out more in the coming books. Additionally, while less is said about Vala, It felt that little was mentioned about Mor past the first half of the novel.
ReadMe28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readme28.html

Post by ReadMe28 »

Quinto wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 08:41 Yes, I thought the author could at least have brought more favorable qualities about Vala, especially noting that she is truly the King's seed unlike Catrin. The author seems to bring her up to be a contrast to the more comely Catrin which I think is a bit unfair to her.
Maybe I'm mistaken, but aren't Vala and Mor Trystan's biological daughters, which Catrin being the only true biological daughter of the King?
ReadMe28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readme28.html

Post by ReadMe28 »

I agree, I'm disappointed in the lack of character development and involvement in the book with Vala, as well as virtually NOTHING ever mentioned about Catrin's twin sister aside from the fact that she died when she was 12! Where was she when Marrock took Catrin in the woods? What effect did she have on everyone's lives? She is only mentioned that ONE time, as well as Vala, when she is sent with the Romans. Very disappointing, but hopefully both will have more of a presence in the second book.
rubinelli
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubinelli.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by rubinelli »

Vala deserved so much better! She was basically a plot device. She wasn't even allowed to be a real character! When she was introduced, she was described as strong, tall, and ugly then she was given over to Romans as canon fodder. I wish we could have seen Vala interact with her sisters. I think Catrin would have appreciated an older sister to look up to. I want big-sis Vala.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

It did appear that she was overlooked as the eldest daughter and was shuffled about to wherever she was needed and could do the most good for the kingdom. However, that seemed to be the case with all three of the daughters- placed where they could do the most good.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html

Post by mamilla93 »

She may be the eldest daughter, but, has nothing to do the crux of the story, i.e, the curse of rhan ,etc. So, it made sense to me that she is a minor character in the book.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

Vala might have been the older daughter, but, has nothing to do the main part of the story, i.e, the curse of Rhan,etc. She is a minor character in the book.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

It frustrated me that literally no one cared about her. Because she was the queen's lover's daughter, it makes sense that the king would simply tolerate her presence, but you'd think her mother and sisters would fight for her! Especially since it doesn't appear that Catrin was privy to the knowledge that Vala was an illegitimate child.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

I hope her character is expanded in the second book. I guess it didn't make sense for Vala to be cast aside like that, after all, she is the eldest sister. But it could be something done on purpose though.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”