Shapeshifting

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Mee_maw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mee-maw.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Re: Shapeshifting

Post by Mee_maw »

I think the author may have had some inspiration from a Song of Ice and Fire.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

TessaC wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 18:40 I think the whole shape shifting makes it seem to "Twilight" like and too over the top for me. Maybe the half brother could just see with the wolves eyes instead of a total morph.
Somewhat like the Starks in A Game of Thrones right?
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

I thought that the shapeshifting element detracted from the novel. It made it seem like any other fantasy novel, and I didn't think it completely tied in with the author's other themes. It came as a bit of a surprise and was a little too much, in my opinion.
palmerNgozi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palmerngozi.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by palmerNgozi »

it seemed to be well done, actually I liked the concept of the shapeshifting.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

LV2R wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 08:32 Marrock's ability to shapeshift into a wolf makes him seem even more dangerous and evil. It doesn't seem to stray from the story since Catrin can shapeshift into a raven.
To be honest, she can't really shapeshift into a raven. All she can do is see through the eyes of her raven. For me, that was just enjoy mysticism -- I didn't need the whole wolf thing thrown in with the rest of it.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 19:57 I thought that the shapeshifting element detracted from the novel. It made it seem like any other fantasy novel, and I didn't think it completely tied in with the author's other themes. It came as a bit of a surprise and was a little too much, in my opinion.
I agree with your comment. If I knew I was getting into a novel about shapeshifting, I'm okay with it. But this just feels like it was thrown in because it was checking a box. That was when the story just really started going downhill for me and I couldn't wait for it to be over.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I think Marrok’s shapeshifting is used to help show his brutal nature. It might not have been completely necessary for the novel, except that it complements Catrin’s mystical abilities.
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html

Post by sharkyjen998 »

**POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

I really enjoyed this aspect of the novel, and it didn't surprise me one bit considering the book began with Catrin's Raven power. She was literally seeing through the eyes of the Raven, so I expected the book to have these themes. I know CommMayo mentioned in one of the comments that the wolf shapshifting put the novel over the top, but I read this as a side-effect of his use of dark magic. I imagine that his powers started similarly to Catrin's, but the constant merging of the mind eventually led to him literally shapeshifting. If you remember, Catrin at one point feels like she is shapeshifting and stuck in the raven's mind during her most powerful vision. I wonder if this happened to Marrock? You can also see the effects it has on his walking life such as craving meat constantly and being overly aggressive.
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Shapeshifting in novels is so common nowadays. Maybe authors could think of a different animal that a hero could turn into. Or, why not into a cloud or water? Just thinking.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

This is one of the reasons why this is more of a fantasy book than a historical fiction novel. Nevertheless, this shapeshifting skill is well incorporated into the story, since it makes it seem like part of the natural phase of the progression of the relationship between the characters and the creatures with whom they share a particular mystical connection. After all, Catrin is able to see through the raven's eyes at first, and later she is able to control the creature's movements.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

sharkyjen998 wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 20:08 **POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

I really enjoyed this aspect of the novel, and it didn't surprise me one bit considering the book began with Catrin's Raven power. She was literally seeing through the eyes of the Raven, so I expected the book to have these themes. I know CommMayo mentioned in one of the comments that the wolf shapshifting put the novel over the top, but I read this as a side-effect of his use of dark magic. I imagine that his powers started similarly to Catrin's, but the constant merging of the mind eventually led to him literally shapeshifting. If you remember, Catrin at one point feels like she is shapeshifting and stuck in the raven's mind during her most powerful vision. I wonder if this happened to Marrock? You can also see the effects it has on his walking life such as craving meat constantly and being overly aggressive.
That is a really interesting and insightful perspective. What are your thoughts about his ability to change other humans into wolves? I guess it kind of aligns with some other sci-fi descriptions of shapeshifters, but not a lot.
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html

Post by sharkyjen998 »

CommMayo wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 18:54
sharkyjen998 wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 20:08 **POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

That is a really interesting and insightful perspective. What are your thoughts about his ability to change other humans into wolves? I guess it kind of aligns with some other sci-fi descriptions of shapeshifters, but not a lot.
Aw thank you so much! I was hoping you'd read the comment :oops2: That was really creepy as well. I'd have to think those kids souls are literally trapped. I don't think they'd comply so much after he turned them into a wolf? Maybe so? That's a really great perspective that I didn't consider yet!! I'll have to think on that... :eusa-think:
KMSingh
Favorite Book: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmsingh.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by KMSingh »

CommMayo wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:00 Midway through the novel, we are introduced to Catrin's brother who can shapeshift into a wolf. Do you think this element of shapeshifting is properly tied into the story or does it detract from the overall novel? Does it support the aura of mysticism the author is trying to convey or does it make it too much like any other fantasy novel?
I think it was an interesting element, but, yes, it really should have been integrated better. I think Tanner actually tried to introduce it in the first scene, but it didn't work very well. If I recall, Catrin is on a hilltop watching her raven and sees through the raven's eyes, then there's something about her own arms being folded back or something like they're out of joint. I didn't understand what it meant until much later.
Kate S.

My only addiction is books.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

Shape-shifting wolf, sounds interesting. from your review, I'll love to check it out. I wish there were vampires too!
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

Shape-shifting wolf, sounds interesting. from your review, I'll love to check it out. I wish there were vampires too!
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”