Shapeshifting

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Re: Shapeshifting

Post by Dusamae »

I thought it tied in perfectly with the story since the curse was that raven would rise and join with the wolf to overtake the kingdom.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

ViziVoir wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 15:06 I have no problem with shapeshifting, really, but having a man turn into a wolf seems at this point to be almost as overdone a trope as having a vampire turn into a bat.
My thoughts exactly. I love wolves, I think they're fascinating animals, but for crying out loud, can authors please pick a different 'cool' animal for their characters to shapeshift into? A spotted hyena would be neat... :lol:
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I think it´s well incorporated. The mythological and magical part of this book is fundamental for the ultimate development of the plot, and I think it all the shapeshifting and animals mentioned carry a lot of symbolism. Marrock as the predator, for example, or the white raven as defenseless and vulnerable.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

It felt like a gratitious addition that did not fit in the story. Catrin's power was explained clearly and tied into the story but her brother's was just sprung on us.
gfowle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gfowle.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by gfowle »

gali wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 13:15
I thought it was well done and properly tied into the story. It added to the aura of mysticism.

Spoiler
__
__
__
__
__
__
The one thing that didn't added up was the ability of Marrock to change others. It was a bit too much.
I agree that Marrock's ability to change others seemed to come from nowhere, and I don't know that it necessarily added to the story.

Overall, I felt like the shape-shifting element was not misplace, but it was also not as well developed as it could have been. I hope that the author will continue to develop this concept in the second book in the series, so that we can see the role that shape-shifting will play in the plot.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

CommMayo wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:00 Midway through the novel, we are introduced to Catrin's brother who can shapeshift into a wolf. Do you think this element of shapeshifting is properly tied into the story or does it detract from the overall novel? Does it support the aura of mysticism the author is trying to convey or does it make it too much like any other fantasy novel?
I didn't read it, but this was one thing that got me a little interested.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

I think that shapeshifting always adds an air of mystery and makes people rethink what they are reading. Personally I enjoy this element to a book even though I do not enjoy fantasy.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I was okay with the brother doing the shapeshifting because it expands the storyline. I feel like this author has tried to keep the plot moving in a manner that the reader cannot figure out what may happen next. Putting in supernatural abilities makes it possible for anything to happen. If this is book one, then this author has left the door open for anything to occur. I have not read a lot of this type of material, but I think she has woven a tale that has a lot of possibilities. It seems that the king has no powers what so ever. I have not finished the book, but this ability to shapeshift gives more power to the one who desires to overthrow the kingdom!
Everything happens for a reason...
MuthoniMuriithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muthonimuriithi.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MuthoniMuriithi »

I am yet to read the book but I believe its good and fun.
ROMANS 8:31
What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Marrock's ability to shapeshift into a wolf makes him seem even more dangerous and evil. It doesn't seem to stray from the story since Catrin can shapeshift into a raven.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

CommMayo wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 09:58
gen_g wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 03:40 I have yet to read the book, please correct me if I am wrong. Is it written like magical realism?
To me, it is written like "Oh, I know, I'll include someone who can shapeshift into a wolf." At the beginning, the book was like a historical fiction with some mysticism mixed in. It then got strange with the shapeshifting and then Catrin's ability to see the futures connected to individuals when she goes into another realm.
I agree with you. It felt like that.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I don't think shapeshifting is a bad thing actually I believe that it adds to a novel than take away from it.
Chelsea N. Hackett
PeaceLoveNature44
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Cows I Have Known
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peacelovenature44.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by PeaceLoveNature44 »

I felt that adding the shapeshifting helped it break off from just your normal rituals. It added more mystery and magic too it. It helps you see the character better as who he is and what he does. He is a beast, quite litterly. It goes with the Rhans curse, so it fits. :)
“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

I loved this idea of the shapeshifting, but it was weird. Marrock was evil enough-he didn't need to be a wolf to be awful.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I don't really get the complaints about shapeshifting. You're okay with Catrin seeing through the raven's eyes but Marrock turning into a wolf is going too far? Seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”