Shifting Point of View

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Re: Shifting Point of View

Post by Amy+++ »

Normally it would bother me, but in this case it doesn't. The shifts in point of view make the story seem like it is moving faster and keeps my attention longer. It also helps the story flow more smoothly in my opinion.
Bookcool123
Currently Reading: The Relik
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookcool123.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Bookcool123 »

It is a plus. The author is just giving an equal perspective on the characters. Giving the reader a chance to judge or think it over why the story went that way.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

It honestly depends on how well the author differentiates the different POV voices. If they don't, it can get confusing or pointless. If they do it adds to rounding out the novel, in my opinion.
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

I loved the different perspectives. I didn't find it confusing at all.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

I'm a big fan of shifting perspectives as it helps to relate to all the characters. There are only a couple of books where a fixed perspective would work better, and this isn't one of them ;)
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

Shifting point of view is fine as long as it is done right. I think this author did it right and I was able to distinguish who was speaking.
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jwalker73 »

I enjoy novels incorporating multiple perspectives, particularly when the POV's are from the main characters in the story. I generally find it easier to follow when the chapter has a heading giving the reader immediate knowledge of which character they are about to follow, however, this author achieved the same by opening each new chapter with a sentence that started with the person's name whose POV we were encountering. The author also dedicated more than one consecutive chapter to the characters instead of making every new chapter from a different POV. I sometimes find the latter more difficult to keep up with, whereas, I found this author's method provided the reader a more solid understanding about what was occurring with each character.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I feel that this narrative strategy added to a certain element of fluidity in the narrative, and it embellished the narrative quite intricately. I quite liked it. :D
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

To me it adds layers to the book, and I was not bothered. You got to see things from different points of view.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I really like the shifting points of view. Tanner did a great job of handling the shifts by separating them into different chapters and making them distinct. I find that when an author does this well, it usually makes the story more engaging and allows me to feel like I better understand all of the nuances of the story. Tanner definitely does this well in this book.
PeaceLoveNature44
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Cows I Have Known
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peacelovenature44.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by PeaceLoveNature44 »

I did not get confused by the shifting point of view. I loved how the author showed the different views, to help you understand and feel the character more. I loved getting into their minds to learn about them. If it didn't shift, I feel the book might of been more boring and harder to understand. It gave characters, their own story, that all added up into one big story. :)
“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Lizzie Robinson wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 10:57 While I tend to prefer a singular point of view (just a personal preference), if a shifting point of view is done right it can really add to the novel. I think, given what Tanner was going for, it was a smart choice in this circumstance.
I do support this too. Sometimes a single point of view would be more effective but when the shifting point of view is done well, it adds to the story.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

In my opinion, it is a plus. I have read many books where two characters go through the same situation but when they begin to express their views and feelings about it, you realize that they are so different. In the end, you get to comprehend something from their own perspective and not necessarily judging one based on the view of the other.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

PeaceLoveNature44 wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 22:01 I did not get confused by the shifting point of view. I loved how the author showed the different views, to help you understand and feel the character more. I loved getting into their minds to learn about them. If it didn't shift, I feel the book might of been more boring and harder to understand. It gave characters, their own story, that all added up into one big story. :)
Wow, this is great. I also think that the shift does not create any confusion. It makes the story more interesting.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Surakshita-11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surakshita-11.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by Surakshita-11 »

Shifting point of view makes stories more interesting as we get to know more about characters here this work was in proper way to add to the content of story.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”