Shifting Point of View

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Shifting Point of View

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Multiple perspectives or shifting point of view is the narrative strategy Linnea Tanner chooses to tell the story of the impossible love affair between Catrin and Marcellus. Such a strategy allows her to move from one perspective to another, including the one of the antagonist, Marrock, Catrin's half brother.

Do you think this startegy may create confusion or is it an effective way to give credibility to the story?
Is it a plus or a minus for the novel?
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I liked the Multiple perspectives and didn't find it confusing at all. I think it added to the story and added an interesting dimension to it. It allowed us to gather more information about the characters and the setting.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I think the multiple perspectives is something that the author really gets right in this novel. It is invaluable in gaining more understanding of the motives of the extraneous characters.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

Personally, I'm not a big fan of shifting point of views. They tend to confuse me a lot of the times. I prefer books to stick to one point of view. I guess for me, it would depend on how the author approaches this shift as to whether I like it or not. There have been some instances where I didn't mind it as much.
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

I really enjoy books that shift the point of view as I get to switch between thoughts and motivations of different characters. With only one point of view, you can't tell what other characters are thinking and feeling, except from a bias and unreliable point of view from the narrator of the book. I think the shifting point of views in this book works well due to these dynamic characters and their personal motivations.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Emilauren96 wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 16:10 I really enjoy books that shift the point of view as I get to switch between thoughts and motivations of different characters. With only one point of view, you can't tell what other characters are thinking and feeling, except from a bias and unreliable point of view from the narrator of the book. I think the shifting point of views in this book works well due to these dynamic characters and their personal motivations.
You hit the nail on the head with this comment. The book would be really confusing and flat if we were to only see it from the eyes of one character.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I think it depends on what the author is trying to accomplish. I like a single viewpoint. As long as shifting viewpoints don't create spoilers, I think it can be done well. This also gives a more intimate glimpse into the motives behind actions.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

The more, the merrier. I found the differing perspectives to be interested and added more value to the book. It is definitely a plus for the novel.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

I like shifting points of view as long as these are from the main characters only. It makes the reader dig in to their innermost thoughts and the reader appreciate the story in a deep sense.
Sydsalms
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydsalms.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Sydsalms »

I, personally, really like the shifting narratives. Not only does it give a new voice and perspective to the story, but it makes the storyline more interesting. It keeps me reading because I get anxious to get back to the other point of view and read what they are feeling or doing.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I think the shifting point of views added more credibility to the novel. It made the intentions behind the actions of the various character, be a protagonist or antagonist, more understandable.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I haven't yet read this book, but I figured I could weigh in on this topic. I don't like the jumping around. I just finished another book when it constantly goes back and forth in whose perspective I was reading from. I feel like it makes it hard to focus on what's going on when that happens. I prefer a story to be told from one perspective.
Mac :techie-reference:
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

mac83 wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 10:12 I haven't yet read this book, but I figured I could weigh in on this topic. I don't like the jumping around. I just finished another book when it constantly goes back and forth in whose perspective I was reading from. I feel like it makes it hard to focus on what's going on when that happens. I prefer a story to be told from one perspective.
I think a lot lies on how successful the author is at transitioning between the different characters' points of view. If they make smooth transitions and you know who is the new focus, I think it can work well. JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood is told from the POV of no less than twenty characters...but she does it really well and uses it as a tool to hook the reader.
Lizzie Robinson
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-robinson.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Lizzie Robinson »

While I tend to prefer a singular point of view (just a personal preference), if a shifting point of view is done right it can really add to the novel. I think, given what Tanner was going for, it was a smart choice in this circumstance.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I usually prefer it when books don't shift POVs all of the time, as it easily becomes confusing and annoying to read.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”