Women's Roles

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Uche B
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-b.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Women's Roles

Post by Uche B »

The Celtic women were more powerful than the Roman women; they had more influence in society than their Roman counterparts, though I wouldn't say they were seen as equal to their men.
"Life is more than unpainted fences" - Nomnso Mordi.
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by A G Darr »

The Celtic women seemed to have it better off than Roman women, at least in certain Celtic tribes. Though it wasn't perfect for Celtic women. It was unfair that King Amren offered his daughters the ability to choose their own spouses, then took the choice away. It was kind of like just saying they had a choice to pacify them so they wouldn't complain, then last minute making the women someone else's problem.
Vitter Krane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vitter-krane.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Vitter Krane »

Unlike the oppressive Roman laws, equality was could be seen in the Ceultian laws. Women were not treated as second class citizens, a factor which enabled them to stand up for themselves. There women were empowered and strong.
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

The fact that this book is of historical fiction genre, the author had no choice but to portray women strongly since in Celt history, women were powerful members of society and even ruled as queens.
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

I haven't finished this book yet, but I think you can see the difference in how the two cultures treat women right from the start. Senator Lucius Antonius clearly shows his disdain for women being treated as equals multiple times during his meetings with King Amren. The two genders may not always hold have equal footing in the Celt culture, but it is a lot closer than the Roman culture.
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

I think there's kind of a romantic idea that Celtic society was incredibly non-biased against women, although I don't think this is necessarily true.
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by evan1995muniz »

As a woman, I am always drawn to other strong women. You can learn from them. I have always loved strong important female characters.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I loved that there were strong women characters in the book. They were well defined and powerful characters that really propelled the story.
GretchenLee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gretchenlee.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by GretchenLee »

This was actually one of the first things I noticed when reading the novel. The first time we meet the king and queen, the king speaks very highly of his wife and daughters, as if their virtues and successes were as important as his own. I liked this--and I felt it was pretty ahead-of-their-time. When I realized the Romans were judgmental of the women and "did not recognize them" (or something along those lines) as possible heirs, I figured -this- was much more accurate to the time/setting of the novel. I felt as though the Celtic system was pretty nice. The king looked to his wife, and taught his daughters to fight for themselves.
ochiengjr01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochiengjr01.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ochiengjr01 »

In the story i think the Celts tried to understand the role of women in the society not just for sex and other irritating roles. Unlike the Romans who undermined the efforts of women in achieving what they wished.
CBCollinsReview
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbcollinsreview.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by CBCollinsReview »

I agree that there were several strong and well-established women characters in this book. Indeed, it appeared that the Celtics encouraged woman leadership, while the Roman's did not. This was suggested multiple times when Catrin's mother told her she would be nothing but a common whore if she went to Rome with Marcellus. It would have been interesting to know how the Celtic's viewed Vala's preference towards women. This would have not only showed insight into the society of Catrin's people but could have possibly established Vala as a more prominent character in the novel.
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

There is a great difference in the way these two civilizations treated the fairer sex. I think most of it had to do with old age traditions and customs. The Celts women played a much bigger role in society almost with equal footing as men. The Romans were the exact opposite. Believing that females should be submissive.
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

I think it accurately showed that Celtic women were more respected than the Roman women.
rubinelli
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubinelli.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by rubinelli »

I had mixed feelings about the portrayal of strong women in this novel. At the beginning of the book, I was so happy that it featured strong, independent, warrior women. I liked that Catrin undertook weapon training. I cheered when I read that Queen Rhiannon had the same political power as the king in their society. However, as I read more of the book, I started to feel that these women were not being given the respect that they deserved. Queen Rhiannon clearly did not share the same power as the king except when dealing with knights and servants. Catrin constantly tried to go past her mother and told the queen that she had to listen to the king who ordered her to watch Marcellus. The king didn't treat Rhiannon with much respect. He won her after he invaded her homeland and stole her away from Trystan and drugged her, which resulted in the birth of Catrin. Trystan shows more respect for Rhiannon but still treats her as a prize to be won in some ways. Marcellus was no better. In the beginning chapters, he leered at Catrin commenting on her appearance through his thoughts. He even caressed her butt against her consent. When Catrin glares at him to stop, he treats it as a joke, laughing and continues to think about how "cute" she is. I find this behavior repulsive and I think Catrin should have stabbed him for such behavior.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

Yes, her portrayal of strong female characters like Queen Rhiannon and Catrina is very good. Romans did treat women as their inferiors. Clearly, in comparison, Celtic women had more freedom and power

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”