Women's Roles

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
grace8031
Currently Reading: Rats on the train
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace8031.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Women's Roles

Post by grace8031 »

Today's world is like the Celts women are respected as well as their opinion which was contrary to what Romans practiced. In their view women were like trophies
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

There was certainly a clear difference in the depiction of the way the two camps treated women. In any case, I like the authentic way that the author treated Roman misogyny. I remember that the Roman council actually debated whether women had a soul (or whether it was ok to kill them like animals). Thank God I was born in this time and age.
Rodrigo Niguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodrigo-niguez.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Rodrigo Niguez »

Celts were a more advanced society than the Romans. They unlike the Romans respected and valued their women. They sought advice from their women. I think that isa proper portrayal of their women as strong women.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Rodrigo Niguez wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 15:17 Celts were a more advanced society than the Romans.
How so? I'm not saying we should take the Roman view that they were uncivilized barbarians a 100% seriously, but the Celts didn't even leave behind their own writings by which we could judge them. To say that they were more advanced than the Romans is a very bold statement.
Princeroland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Princeroland »

The Celt did it right by allowing the women to choose their own husband themselves, it portrays alot of equality between both genders, at least women in the novel had a great influence in the society more than Roman women, because the Romans' treated their women like trash which is not supposed to be
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

I always love a novel or any narrative which portrays women a strong and capable to hold their own ground. So, for this quality I highly commend the novel and encourage as many people as possible to read it.
Kgaelsdottir
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kgaelsdottir.html
Latest Review: Final Report by Jeff Shear

Post by Kgaelsdottir »

I would warmly have to disagree with the statement below about there being no such thing as Celts--one could say the same, from this perspective, that there were no such things as Greeks, or Gauls, or Moors, for that matter... With sincere respect, tribes are often associated across various territories--like the Lakota are in North America--the Celts indeed covered a great deal of ground, but their commonalities, traditions, spirituality, migrations, etc. are what bound them as a culture. There are considered to be six more recent Celtic "kingdoms" or territories: Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Cornwall, Brittany, and the Isle of Man--but before this they originated during the Iron age and can be tracked from the la Tene on.

Again, I warmly respect your opinion, but as someone who has both, genetically, Celt and Viking blood (Iceland and Northern Scotland) running through my veins, I have studied the cultures for many of my 46 years. ;)
So I've been doing some reading and from what I understand there was no such thing as "Celts." Instead, it was various different tribes and people from the British Isles to Anatolia. There is no answer to that question because there was no such thing as a Celtic system.

Besides that, as a history lover, I have grown extremely skeptical about claims of ancient matriarchal or gender-equal societies. There's no solid evidence for them, just wishful thinking that doesn't align with reality. I'm just sick of certain feminists who think rewriting history is going to "inspire women" or something like that when all it does is delegitimize the movement and makes them appear like quacks.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

The Romans certainly didn't seem to value the women or treat them with as much respect as the Celts. The Roman attitude reminds me of historical novel Tyrants & Poets I read recently, where women in Ancient Greece were seen very much as commodities to be traded for money or goods. A particularly repressive view which has no valid place in a world where we are all human beings and therefore all of equal value.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Kgaelsdottir wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 19:43 I would warmly have to disagree with the statement below about there being no such thing as Celts--one could say the same, from this perspective, that there were no such things as Greeks, or Gauls, or Moors, for that matter...
Looking back on my comment I realize I didn't fully elaborate on what I meant. The original poster, as well as many other commentators, seemed to imply that all Celts had the same identical culture and views on women across all of Europe. You wouldn't say Athenians and Spartans had the same beliefs about gender roles just because they were both Greek, so how can we say the same about Celts? Especially since we know so little about them compared to the Romans.
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

Zain A Blade wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 15:10 There was certainly a clear difference in the depiction of the way the two camps treated women. In any case, I like the authentic way that the author treated Roman misogyny. I remember that the Roman council actually debated whether women had a soul (or whether it was ok to kill them like animals). Thank God I was born in this time and age.
No. Kidding. There are a lot of reasons to be happy I'm not living in ancient Rome, not least of which is the deadly and rampant misogyny...
Lucas Kalinic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucas-kalinic.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Lucas Kalinic »

Roman tradition portrays the place of women in the ancient society. Women and children are second class citizens. On the other hand, I'm marvelled by the Celts civilization.
mllamisaamadi
Currently Reading: The Rock Stars of Neuroscience
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by mllamisaamadi »

Women's roles,a narration of how Romans and Celts view women,an interesting story accounts that will attracts my further reading to fully under stand the story
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Jmteachmom »

I liked how Linnea Tanner portrayed the differences in how women where treated in the Roman and Celt societies. There were definitely historical differences and it is apparent the author had done her research. Making Catrin a strong warrior in love with a Roman whose culture would not have allowed her to be who she was, is what makes this story so intriguing. I can't wait to read the next installment to see where this love story goes.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Strong women characters are always fascinating and surely that makes a book worth reading specially when the women is from ancient time this book surely has got this fascination in it
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I think that the portrayal of strong female characters added a big plus to this book. There was a clear difference between the way the Celts and Romans treated their women and I think the Celtic society was a lot more fair than the Romans.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”