Happy ending or not?

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Happy ending or not?

Post by serendipity 27 »

I feel that the most realistic option is having them be apart because ultimately they are going to do what they have to for their culture and family.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

I love happy-endings but they are rare. I think happy-ending would do justice to the characters, but a bittersweet ending would be more preferable to the readers.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I think the whole forbidden romance would give the novel more of an edge in my opinion. Yet, happy ending as always nice and dreamy.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I thought the ending was realistic but not really a happy ending. I think given the opposing families it would be difficult for them to be together
CBCollinsReview
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbcollinsreview.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by CBCollinsReview »

The ending was very abrupt. I expected this to be the case somewhat since it is the first installment of a trilogy. However, there wasn't enough unresolved to keep me wanting to read. I did find the way Catrin saved Marcellus at the end to be very fitting of the overall story.
JVIRK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by JVIRK »

As much as I love happy endings, some stories would not be as magnetic and unforgettable if they had such happy endings. The most classic, iconic, and remarkable books don't have a happy ending. So, even if they don't end up together, the book will hold the same amount of influence.
Bronie
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bronie.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Bronie »

Realistically No, the relationship would not work out . And real life isn’t a Disney’s film, but who doesn’t love a happy ending . They should end out being together , for the sake of Love I guess.
LikoLovesBooks
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 728
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-likolovesbooks.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by LikoLovesBooks »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 04:25 Apparently, there is no way the Celtic Princess Catrin and the handsome Roman Marcellus can be together when both their families oppose their relationship and they come from such distinct cultures and civilizations.

Would you like Linnea Tanner to turn them into star-crossed lovers like Mark Antony and Cleopatra or Romeo and Juliet or would you like the series to have a happy ending allowing them to be together?
Which ending would you prefer? Which ending would be more realistic?
Wow, this is a great question! Of course I totally ship Marcellus and Catrin and would love for them to be together and defy all of the odds! Would it be realistic? Perhaps not, considering the political tension between the two cultures. The second book, Dagger's Destiny, is available on Amazon and I may pick it up soon to see what will become of these two. Has anyone read that yet?
Gotyourbakula
Favorite Author: Steve Cavanagh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gotyourbakula.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
fav_author_id: 42995

Post by Gotyourbakula »

PeaceLoveNature44 wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 07:07 I think they should be together. Use it as if that is what brings the Celtics and Romans together. Maybe even help the Romans appreciate women more because he is in love, even marries one?

But historically back then, no. They would of probably been killed or shamed their family and maybe shunned as well.
For real. I would have liked it better, but it would definitely not be realistic.
Abdsamad 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abdsamad 1 »

I will advice them not to married because parents benediction is very important in a couple life.
But sometimes love is crazy and blind. The truth must be said.
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

I honestly would kind of like to see both. A star-crossed happy ending. One where though great tragedy has fallen they still end up together and are happy.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

Emi_Review wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 09:03 I tend to prefer a happy ending but I do still love a bittersweet ending, it somehow seems more realistic to me. I think either way is a good way to end the book, it depends on the story leading up to the end and what tone and reaction Tanner wants to end the series on.
I agree - a happy ending would have tied everything up too neatly and not been realistic - I thought the bittersweet ending was a better ending.
rubinelli
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubinelli.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by rubinelli »

I rather liked the ending. It was an unexpected surprise. I never really saw Catrin and Marcellus lasting a long time anyway, so I thought it was a very good ending. I thought Catrin made the right decision.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

While normally I do prefer a happy ending, I don't think it would work here. I see it going more the way of ASOIAF, where not everyone is happy ever after. Some die, there is some love, some loss, the disparities of war-torn cultures, and bittersweet endings.

Sometimes even "HEA" comes at a price;
For example, LOTR. Sure Frodo destroyed the One Ring, but not without a great personal tragedy that in the end changed him. He had to leave his old life behind.

For Catrin and Marcellus to wind up together, they'd both have to leave their own respective cultures and families behind and live in exile. Otherwise, it's too disneyfied and unrealistic.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

Of course its not a happy ending with Catrin and Marcellus being separated and both of them realizing and accepting their priority of protecting their own people over their romance. But, since its a triology, we should be be able to see their happy ending by the end.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”