What did you think of the erotic scenes?

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Re: What did you think of the erotic scenes?

Post by fredrick otieno »

Every author has a reason for including certain part in his book, and for this one the author had a reason to include the erotic scenes so to me i won't blame the author for it, i believe he had a idea to pass
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by evan1995muniz »

I generally enjoy adult scenes, sometimes the authors can put a bit too much "emphasis" on some of the phrases. I still enjoy them even if they make me cringe on occasion.
jo89220n
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo89220n.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by jo89220n »

I agree that the phrasing used for erotic scenes in this book did make me cringe at time. I have read a lot of books with heavy sex scenes, and there are ways to write about it in mature or sheltered ways without using such awkward phrases. I didn't skip the scenes, but I do wish they would've been written more plainly.
Enattah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Enattah »

The author's way of describing intimate scenes makes it quite boring as a direct description would have spiced it up a little but I feel it is that way so it can be appealing to all readers.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:

could be the author was playing safe. He didn't want to be so explicit, so he decided to use soft sexual descriptive words.
Since the book was for adult, there is no harm in use strong adult language.
carlyroseh
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlyroseh.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by carlyroseh »

The way the sex scenes were described didn’t bother me at all. It felt congruent with the language of the rest of the book. I felt that more explicit and modern language would have been jarring.
Kaven_Crimble_the_witless_71
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kaven_Crimble_the_witless_71 »

Oh goodness, I wasn't able to get all the way through the book when it came out, but seeing those sections you posted! I wouldn't have been able to, if that were the case. Cringe-inducing phrasing is really hard to get through. I can't remember the last book was that good at avoiding those tropes, but one book like that is one too many.
Jeremy0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremy0.html
Latest Review: A Thousand Seeds of Joy by Ananda Karunesh

Post by Jeremy0 »

I think they were cheesy and the book wouldn't suffer if they were omoitted.
mosael
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mosael »

AliceofX wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 02:58 To me, that was the most cringe-inducing part of the book. I can't stand when writers try to be all literary and use phrases like, "openly displaying his manly attributes," and, "She was a tight bud opening to his heat." Just use adult words for goodness sake.

But maybe that's just me. Maybe that would have made the book too adult. What did you think?
I concur that they were absolutely terrible and inadequately composed. It is feasible for an affection scene to be composed elegantly, yet with enough detail to really keep the peruser locked in. I wound up suffocating in shabby doublespeaks.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I think the author was stuck in the middle of trying to be decent yet, wanting to include some sheet heat. Unfortunately, it didn't come out well enough to be appropriately categorized under either group.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Rick Swan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rick-swan.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Rick Swan »

AliceofX wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 02:58 To me, that was the most cringe-inducing part of the book. I can't stand when writers try to be all literary and use phrases like, "openly displaying his manly attributes," and, "She was a tight bud opening to his heat." Just use adult words for goodness sake.

But maybe that's just me. Maybe that would have made the book too adult. What did you think?
I absolutely agree. Those parts were hard to want to actually read. I also felt like so much of the book was just setting up those scenes.
Osvaido009
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Osvaido009 »

I usually don't mind
erotic scenes if they are
written well, but from
the lines you quoted I'm
not sure I would enjoy
these. I think the
scenes are better if the
author focuses on the
emotions and
sensations the
characters are feeling,
rather than discussing
their "tight buds" or
"members". The
terminology they use is
sometimes comical.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

I agree with you; if you're writing an erotic scene, just go ahead and do it, don't beat about it the bush.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

I feel like writing erotic scenes is probably some of the most difficult for an author, especially those outside the romance/erotic genre. It's so hard to balance tone and action without sacrificing one for the other. Many of them are often too repetitive or too euphemistic to be really effective in the course of the story.

I personally don't enjoy really euphemistic sexual terms. Things like "his member" or "her womanhood" really take me out of the story and can actually make me put down a book or,even worse, laugh during an unintentionally funny phrase.

Sometimes I think authors feel like they *have* to include a sexually explicit scene to convey romance but it doesn't usually have to be in there for the flow of whatever story they are telling. When that happens, it feels really obvious and awkward in the book.
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:

The author might have certain reasons for executing them like he did but i think they just need to be redone.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”