Themes

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Re: Themes

Post by AmySmiles »

ViziVoir wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 15:05 Haven't yet read the book, but I'm so glad it tackles difficult topics like generational mimicry. So many people get fixated on doing something because that's how it's always been done, and I don't often see those themes focused on in books of this genre.
I haven't read it either, but I tend to hold this same opinion.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

I would have liked to see a little more history and mythology rather than the slightly over-the-top shapeshifting and strange magical abilities associated with the more powerful characters. I also wish the romance portion was written better.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

One of the themes was pre-arranged marriages occurred to keep the peace between countries and maintain good relationships with other kingdoms. Women roles in different cultures was another theme.
The influence of mystical beliefs on people with power was another one.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

One of the biggest themes of this book is secrets. Let's begin with the queen. She and Trystan have children together, but the king pretends that they are his. Catrin is the actual only biological child of the king and the queen. Mor and Belinus and their love affair which happens in private meetings between the two and is kept quiet from her parents. The whole circumstances of Marrock and his father-in-law conspiring against his father the king to take over the kingdom. Catrin tries to keep her abilities to herself until the Raven begins to show up more and she cannot hide what is happening to her. Marcellus is told to gain information from Catrin, and she is instructed to do the same. There are so many secrets but I liked it! I found this writing technique effective as the author only let out bits of information to certain characters so that the storyline kept on buzzing along. Much like a soap opera, there was always another twist coming as the pages turned and more family dirt was exposed.
Everything happens for a reason...
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I liked the comparison between the two societies.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I see also the theme of the downcasting of women in the Roman society as opposed to a more elevated one in the Celtic one where women had even a right to rule as is the case with Queen Rhianon.
Linnea Tanner
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Shadow of the Raven (Book I of Sons of Kings trilogy)
Bookshelf Size: 352

Post by Linnea Tanner »

I appreciate everyone's comments on what they believed the theme is in Apollo's Raven. One of the themes I wanted to explore is love vs. duty, a theme found in the tragic love story of Mark Antony and Cleopatra and Romeo and Juliet. This theme is further explored in the second book, Dagger's Destiny, when King Amren must reflect on his brutal reign and the love he holds for each of his daughters. Another theme which I will explore in the series is whether fate is pre-determined or determined by our decisions.
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

Mythology, duty to country, politics, and romance. I especially enjoyed the mythological portions of the story and found learning about some of the Celtic myths and traditions very interesting.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 20:01 I would have liked to see a little more history and mythology rather than the slightly over-the-top shapeshifting and strange magical abilities associated with the more powerful characters. I also wish the romance portion was written better.
I'm with you 100% on your comments. It seems as if many of the main take-aways were overshadowed by forced fantasy elements and a complete lack ability to maturely approach sexual content in the book.
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Culture clash and the sacrifices of women are definitely significant themes of the novel.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

Parenting is portrayed in the most negative way. It's not something anyone would want to emulate.
Shalomsamuels1
Favorite Book: Worm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalomsamuels1.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Shalomsamuels1 »

Well there is the theme of besting fate, but I felt that was underdeveloped as it really didn't give any kind of handle on fate. It seemed like just about anything could change fate making fate kind-of pointless.
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

Seemed to me there was an underlying theme of sacrifice and loyalty, or more specifically, personal selfishness when it came to these principles. While it's despicable in our perception the way the parents use their kids, as a work of historical fiction, we have to look at it in terms of the time. The arranged marriages were not unusual for securing the stability of kingdoms and their ruling families. Mor was expected to marry the son of a rival king to bring stability between the two families. Marcellus was expected to marry in order to restore his family's honor. Even Catrin is eventually called upon to secure peace. It seems, no matter what the stakes are, everyone is only thinking about themselves and what they want. Granted I'm not quite finished, so things might surprise me, but nobody is willing to do what's best for the greater good. Rhiannon seems to come the closest, marrying Amren to create a tie between her family's kingdom and his, but almost from the beginning, she seems to want to sabotage it by continuing her relationship with Trystan. It seems like the idea of true love winning out, in this story, comes at the expense of greater issues.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I liked the book because the author touches on a variety of themes such as:
- forbidden love;
- the power of love vs. the call of duty and responsibility;
- culture clash;
- abuse;
- political intrigue and its consequences;
- military confrontation;
- religion and religious beliefs;
- women's status and role in society;
- mysticism and mystical beliefs, etc.
All these themes nicely wrap up the plot and one or the other come to the forefront at the right time throughout the story.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

jjmainor wrote: 29 Sep 2018, 23:06 Seemed to me there was an underlying theme of sacrifice and loyalty, or more specifically, personal selfishness when it came to these principles. While it's despicable in our perception the way the parents use their kids, as a work of historical fiction, we have to look at it in terms of the time. The arranged marriages were not unusual for securing the stability of kingdoms and their ruling families. Mor was expected to marry the son of a rival king to bring stability between the two families. Marcellus was expected to marry in order to restore his family's honor. Even Catrin is eventually called upon to secure peace. It seems, no matter what the stakes are, everyone is only thinking about themselves and what they want. Granted I'm not quite finished, so things might surprise me, but nobody is willing to do what's best for the greater good. Rhiannon seems to come the closest, marrying Amren to create a tie between her family's kingdom and his, but almost from the beginning, she seems to want to sabotage it by continuing her relationship with Trystan. It seems like the idea of true love winning out, in this story, comes at the expense of greater issues.
I agree that one strong plot in the story is duty to family and country over personal happiness.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”