Catrin and Marcellus

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Catrin and Marcellus

Post by gali »

Did you think the characters' decisions/relationships were believable? I think it was.

Both Catrin and Marcellus are strong characters and they often acted against their parents' wishes. At some point, it seemed they cared more about each other, as least Catrin did, than their own people.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

The more I think about it the more confused I get. Since Agrona used that love potion and who knows what other magic, how do we know how "real" their love really was? It's probably not something that we can judge just from the first book.

But what really bugs me is that Marcellus was willing to give up his family and country for Catrin, but she didn't do the same. It's like if Juliet had said, "Capulet's rule," at the end and walked off.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

AliceofX wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 01:33 The more I think about it the more confused I get. Since Agrona used that love potion and who knows what other magic, how do we know how "real" their love really was? It's probably not something that we can judge just from the first book.

But what really bugs me is that Marcellus was willing to give up his family and country for Catrin, but she didn't do the same. It's like if Juliet had said, "Capulet's rule," at the end and walked off.
A good point about the love potion, but I do believe their emotions were real.

I don't think he was willing to give up his family and country. He didn't want to stay with her, but offered her to come with him and be his mistress. I can understand why she refused.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Their "love" just seemed too topical for me. They never fully trusted each other and Marcellus pretty much said whatever he needed to say just so he could have sex with her.
Don Pwai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-don-pwai.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by Don Pwai »

I loved their fighting spirit. They go against their parents wishes and fight for their love which they think is the best and right thing to do.
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Don Pwai wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 00:39 I loved their fighting spirit. They go against their parents wishes and fight for their love which they think is the best and right thing to do.
But what about their general distrust of each other? They seem to hardly know themselves, let alone each other. Marcellus pretty much admits to lying to sleep with her.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

The issue of Agrona's potion puts a certain framework of doubt around the legitimacy of their romance, but I found it convincing enough. Their attraction at the beginning felt somewhat forced, but as the story progresses, their relationship made more sense.
FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by FilmStar »

Yeah I think so. I feel like they were both looking for a means of escape with each other. And yes, Catrin was a very kick-ass character. I felt bad for her being stuck with her family. They really were a drag.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I think the author wants to make their relationship like Romeo & Juliet; family is against them being together, they are enemies, & their family’s try to control both of their lives. Even that Catrin is engaged by her parents decision is similar, I just hope that they have a different ending.
Valerius
Currently Reading: Violent Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Valerius »

Despite the love potion, I feel Catrin's feelings for Marcel was real. From the way she described him upon first sight, to her uneasiness during the hall heat. She expresses extra concern for the lad even before they spoke.
Catana or Catrin, I think it is Catrin because of here physical appearances - Marcrlus' thoughts paraphrased. A clear indication of admiration
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

ObsessedBookNerd wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 00:10 I think the author wants to make their relationship like Romeo & Juliet; family is against them being together, they are enemies, & their family’s try to control both of their lives. Even that Catrin is engaged by her parents decision is similar, I just hope that they have a different ending.
You hit the nail on the head with the Romeo and Juliet comparison. I doubt that this relationship will end in suicide, but I also never got the feeling that they really love each other.
TALIA ONYANGO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talia-onyango.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by TALIA ONYANGO »

Yes, I could connect with their decisions. They acted out of their love for one another. They acted rightly.
David Koreas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-koreas.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by David Koreas »

The two are in real love and nothing can stand in their way. They defy their parents due to their passionate concern for each other. I loved their fighting character.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Marcellus and Catrin both love each other going against their parents. Marcellus does more in sincerity than Catrin because Catrin is not leaving her family and country for Marcellus but Marcellus can sacrifice his family, country and his people for the love of Catrin.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Yes I think it was believable. Most times when people are in love, they tend to shut their eyes to every other thing.They are completely overtaken by their feelings.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”