Catrin and Marcellus

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Re: Catrin and Marcellus

Post by winecellarlibrary »

AliceofX wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 01:33 The more I think about it the more confused I get. Since Agrona used that love potion and who knows what other magic, how do we know how "real" their love really was? It's probably not something that we can judge just from the first book.

But what really bugs me is that Marcellus was willing to give up his family and country for Catrin, but she didn't do the same. It's like if Juliet had said, "Capulet's rule," at the end and walked off.
I believe their emotions were real, and the potion only pushed them toward having sex sooner than they probably would have otherwise.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

The whole 'couple going against their parents and their society' is an overused narrative for a while now, after all, Romeo and Juliet was written centuries ago. But I feel like Catrin and Marcellus relationship was to quick to be believable. I was never really sure if they truly love each other.
McCrimmonal_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mccrimmonal-91.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by McCrimmonal_91 »

All of the outside forces and demands on their relationship seemed to affect how they regarded each other over the course of the story. The connection they experienced at the beginning, though, appeared to be so powerful that it became everlasting. It's almost like a forbidden love. It will always be there, even though circumstances won't allow them to be together.

Any distrust was probably the product of them being from opposing sides with feuding and influential parents :angry-boxing:
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

I would've believed in their love way more if Marcellus wasn't constantly talking about how beautiful Catrin was and how badly he wanted to sleep with her. So I don't think I would go as far as to say that he loved her.
But then again, they were both pretty young, and that reckless kind of passionate relationship is pretty realistic for young people in their first relationship. So I think the portrayal was done well.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I guess when it comes to love, many characters (and even people) forget about the people around them. I think that's why they devoted themselves to each other in terms of attention.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”