Did the book accurately portray the Celts?

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Did the book accurately portray the Celts?

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Lil Reads wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 22:59 One thing to remember about Celtic history is that the Romans wrote extensively on them with a clear bias and political aim. To the Romans, many Celtic customs seemed odd. For example, Celtic women did have a more important role both inside the family and in politics than Roman women. Archaeologists have noted that Celtic images and figurines of their deities show a distinct divide into pre-Roman and post-Roman influence. Prior to Roman interaction, male and female deities were usually depicted as being of similar height and with equivalent power; post Roman, the female deities are depicted as smaller and subservient.
That is fascinating! Thank you so much for posting this. I knew that Celtic women were respected more than Roman women, but I had never thought of how heavily Roman rule influenced even the building blocks of the Celtic civilization. Again, very cool post and a great example.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
stelyn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by stelyn »

Of course the book cannot capture their entire history. But, I think the author did a good work in unravelling a piece of their history.
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Jmteachmom »

From what research I have done on the Celtic tribes, I think the author has a basic understanding of the culture. She portrays the Romans as they really were. As a reader and lover of history, I do have to remind myself this is a fiction novel. Overall, I believe the author has done some research and portrays these societies well.
Shalomsamuels1
Favorite Book: Worm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalomsamuels1.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Shalomsamuels1 »

Definitely the protrayal of the Romans feelings toward them. They called them Barbarians and thought very little of them.
rd7ht
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rd7ht.html

Post by rd7ht »

I think it is important to note that being Celtic was a religion not a region. Depending on where a Celt was from and how much outsiders had influenced the region determined how much freedom women maintained. Several people have referenced Boudicca, the whole reason she raised a revolt was because Rome did not support her daughters inheriting their father's throne, and had soldiers publicly rape the three of them to show them their place. Brittain tradition allowed free women to inherit, rule, and divorce as they pleased until Rome conquered the region.
Celts practiced human sacrifice. They continued this tradition when working as mercenary troops for Rome. Mass graves of ritually sacrificed people have shown this.
There are essences of truth in this book, its easier to sympathize with the characters when they are toned down so I understand why this was done.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I found the lack of depth in description to be questionable. Most historic novels will at least render the setting and this book was entirely lacking. I have strong doubts as to the author's research and representations.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

The book seems to have only touched a part of the Celts history though the parts touched are accurate.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

I don't have enough knowledge about Celts so I am not sure if Celts were potrayed accurately or not in this book.
---
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

This whole thread has made me realize that I should read more about the history of the Celts.
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by A G Darr »

I'm not sure if they were accurately portrayed, but I thought it was awesome the women were not looked down upon. They were treated equally in the book and respected, at least in some of the tribes.
Vitter Krane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vitter-krane.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Vitter Krane »

Celts are a fantastic people. Unlike many traditional communities, their women and girls are granted liberty from an early age. I loved that. Women and girls could participate in many spheres of life.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

It seemed as though the author did a significant amount of research into the celts. They had a cleandiscriptikn that was based on fact and then I think the author creatively moved forward with the Corey using the history as a backdrop.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I'm not that knowledgeable about the Celts but overall the culture's seemed represented accurately.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

Lil Reads wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 22:59 One thing to remember about Celtic history is that the Romans wrote extensively on them with a clear bias and political aim. To the Romans, many Celtic customs seemed odd. For example, Celtic women did have a more important role both inside the family and in politics than Roman women. Archaeologists have noted that Celtic images and figurines of their deities show a distinct divide into pre-Roman and post-Roman influence. Prior to Roman interaction, male and female deities were usually depicted as being of similar height and with equivalent power; post Roman, the female deities are depicted as smaller and subservient.

For a more specific example, Boudicca was written about by two main Roman historians, both after her death. Both write about her as a very physically intimidating figure and describe how brutally she attacked Roman settlements, graphically describing what the soldiers did to the Roman women and children. She even gets a grand speech before her final battle, almost like a Shakespearean soliloquy. By portraying her this way, the Romans emphasize how terrifying they perceived the Celts and made themselves look better since they took on Boudicca and won.

So in short, most of our perceptions about Celts are filtered through Roman perspectives and we are still learning more about Celtic civilization.
I firmly concur
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

It was historically accurate. I didnt have prior knowledge of the celts, so i google it after i read the book and was impressed by the detail.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”