The characters

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

The characters

Post by gali »

Which characters in the book did you like best? Which characters did you like least? Why?

My favorite characters were Catrin and Marcellus. I loved the developing romance between them, and the way they dealt with their trials. My less favorite characters were Catrin's mother. She was too stubborn, and I didn't like the way she treat Catrin and her unwillingness to listen to her. Of course, I didn't like Marrock and his mother, but that is a given. What about you?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

gali wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 23:47 My less favorite characters were Catrin's mother. She was too stubborn, and I didn't like the way she treat Catrin and her unwillingness to listen to her.
Same here. I really hope she dies eventually and not in a nice way. Every single one of her decisions was for the worst. She did more harm than the villains, in my opinion.

I don't really have a favorite character, but I think Marrock was the most interesting. All his scenes were so riveting. I've always liked villains who kind of have a point. I mean, I doubt I'd have a good relationship with my father if he had my mother executed.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

AliceofX wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 01:05
gali wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 23:47 My less favorite characters were Catrin's mother. She was too stubborn, and I didn't like the way she treat Catrin and her unwillingness to listen to her.
Same here. I really hope she dies eventually and not in a nice way. Every single one of her decisions was for the worst. She did more harm than the villains, in my opinion.

I don't really have a favorite character, but I think Marrock was the most interesting. All his scenes were so riveting. I've always liked villains who kind of have a point. I mean, I doubt I'd have a good relationship with my father if he had my mother executed.
I agree! Catrin's mother was just as bad as the villains.

Marrock was that, and his backstory shaded some light about his motives. He was just 7-8 years old when his mother was executed!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I really liked the relationship between the Queen and Tristan. That was one curve ball I did not see coming in the novel.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

CommMayo wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:30 I really liked the relationship between the Queen and Tristan. That was one curve ball I did not see coming in the novel.
I haven’t gotten there yet in the book but that is really interesting. The name Trystan appearing immediately got my attention and I’ve been wondering if there is a particular reason the author has a character with this name, given the association.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

DancingLady wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 15:49
CommMayo wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:30 I really liked the relationship between the Queen and Tristan. That was one curve ball I did not see coming in the novel.
I haven’t gotten there yet in the book but that is really interesting. The name Trystan appearing immediately got my attention and I’ve been wondering if there is a particular reason the author has a character with this name, given the association.
I listened to and reviewed the audiobook version, so I admit to having no idea of how to spell any of the characters names...
Don Pwai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-don-pwai.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by Don Pwai »

I loved Catrin and Marcellus. They are passionate lovers and concerned for each others well being. On the contrary, Catrin's mum attitude was disgusting.
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

CommMayo wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 16:37
DancingLady wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 15:49
I listened to and reviewed the audiobook version, so I admit to having no idea of how to spell any of the characters names...
Either spelling would be the same pronunciation, and the story of Tristan (or Trystan) and Isolde is very famous but I have no if there is any historical record of them. I will just have to finish the book as soon as I can and see how this turns out.
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

I like Catrin the most, I loved following her path of self-discovery and her awakening powers. I didn't like Lucius, his attitude towards women, his wanting to kill anyone who disrespects him and desperate attempts at gaining power make him an unlikeable person. However, I understand this is representative of attitudes at the time and the plot wouldn't be the same without these interesting characters.

I also didn't like Rihannon's disregard towards her daughter and the decisions she made. Why would she suddenly believe Agrona over her own daughter when she never trusted Agrona in the first place? When she was spying on Catrin and Marcellus, wouldn't she have been aware that Catrin was warming up to Marcellus before she was given the Apollo amulet?
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

The power that was given to Agrona was pretty disturbing. I got the feeling early on in the book that the King never fully trusted her, but then he would allow the Queen to place their daughter's life in her hands. At times, it really didn't make sense to me.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I think Catrin & Marcellus & maybe one other character are the only redeeming characters in the whole story. I found all the other characters were horrible & their attitudes/actions made getting through the book hard.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The characters were truly a credential to this read. I like Catrin the most especially they way how she represented her self, but this isn't a read that I'm much pleased with.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

CommMayo wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 09:52 The power that was given to Agrona was pretty disturbing. I got the feeling early on in the book that the King never fully trusted her, but then he would allow the Queen to place their daughter's life in her hands. At times, it really didn't make sense to me.
I agree. No doubt, he realized Agrona's power which helped him keep control of the people but it is difficult to fathom why the King would do that. I still have quite a bit of reading to do but, at the moment I have the impression that holding on to their own place of power and importance is the primary motivation for the decisions that either the King or Queen make.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Britty01 wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 11:17 I agree. No doubt, he realized Agrona's power which helped him keep control of the people but it is difficult to fathom why the King would do that. I still have quite a bit of reading to do but, at the moment I have the impression that holding on to their own place of power and importance is the primary motivation for the decisions that either the King or Queen make.
I think that is a pretty spot on assumption about the King or Queen. All of the older characters are trying to gain or keep power while the younger characters just want to live their lives.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Yes of course I like the characters of Marcellus and Catrin the most from whole of the story because they love each other from the core of their hearts and I didn't like the characters of their parents.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”