The characters

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Re: The characters

Post by jahagen »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 10:23 The characters were truly a credential to this read. I like Catrin the most especially they way how she represented her self, but this isn't a read that I'm much pleased with.
I agree with you there. I think Catrin's chapters and her point of view were the easiest for me to bear and get through, although the other character's actions within her chapters still bothered me. Most things done by the characters just weren't that believable in my opinion.
Rodrigo Niguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodrigo-niguez.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Rodrigo Niguez »

I disliked Cartrin's mom. She wants to impose her decisions on her daughter even on the choice of man to get married to. That was unbecoming of her. I prefer a society where individuals are at liberty to choose their marriage partners.
Shalomsamuels1
Favorite Book: Worm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalomsamuels1.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Shalomsamuels1 »

It could have been Cyrwig, but he wasn't mentioned enough. Also Amren, he seemed like he might be complex but it wasn't ever explored. So I go with Vala.
koechcollins50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koechcollins50.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by koechcollins50 »

I love Catrin and Marcellus characters they are concern of each other and stand for one another. Catrin's mother had a bad attitude on the other hand
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 553
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

My favorite character is Catrin and her portrayal as an immature princess who has lost her heart for an enemy prince, but she wants to protect her kingdom.
carlyroseh
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlyroseh.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by carlyroseh »

HRichards wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 15:52
Cher432 wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 13:37 I honestly disliked every character except Catrin and Marcellus (though he did irritate me at some point) but I especially disliked Catrin's mom. Its hard enough being a woman in that era without having other women specifially your mother making it harder.
You and me both. Rhiannon drove me nuts, especially because she had flaunted the very rules she tried to enforce with her daughter. Also her insistence on repeatedly listening to every person in the wrong over and over was frustrating. As much as she claimed to love her daughter, she listened to everyone but her at almost every instance.
I’m glad to see I wasn’t the only one who couldn’t stand Rhiannon. Once she was put in charge, every decision she made seemed to be the worst decision she could make. It was maddening how quickly she mistrusted and betrayed Catrin.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I am really enjoying the characters in this novel they are multidimensional and very well defined. The author created very interesting characters and the interaction between characters is very interesting.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

My favorite character in the book was Catrin. Very strong female character except for that under developed romance with marcellus. Marrock is my least favorite character.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I liked Catrin's character. Very strong female character. Marrock was my least favorite character. He is a despicable person.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

My favorites were Catrin, Marcellus, and Trystan. I wish Trystan could find love elsewhere. I'm surprised that King Amren would even allow him to remain in the kingdom. The queen was really irritating, and Marrock was detestable.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

Catrin was my favorite character, though I feel like I would have liked the secondary ones too if they had the same level of development, they felt a bit like flat characters. Catrin's mother was the worse character for me, she never trusted Agrona but all of a sudden places her daughter life in her hands.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I like Caitlin as a character alone. She is strong and growing. She isn't perfect and that's realistic.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

My favorite character was Cynwrig. I thought his backstory was so cute and unexpected: him being a fierce axe man and war champion until he met his wife and turned into a farmer and picked wildflowers for her every day before breakfast. Hearing that brought a smile to my face.
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: What Makes You Feel Better That Starts With The Letter by Sienna L. Ambrose

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

My best character is King Anrem because he had the leadership qualities, he never allowed his emotions to take hold of him and he ruled without fear despite all threats he saw ahead.
Gena Ver
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gena-ver.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Gena Ver »

The characters described throughout this story were all highly engaging factors to the storyline development. The character’s that I liked the most were Catrin and her sister Mor. It was great to see some realism in the story in regards to their sibling interactions with each other, particularly around their family, and romantic partners. It was interesting to see how they seemed to be mainly open to each other when sharing their feelings of their romantic lovers, Belinus and Marcellus, especially later on as the plot progressed. Although at times it seemed that Mor was not too concerned with Catrin’s feelings or desires, this to me really only came across as a facet of tough love, as even with their differences aside, it still always appeared that Mor was trying to look out for Catrin and protect her from getting hurt physically and emotionally. It was great to see how this feeling was also reciprocated from Catrin, as she also was willing to keep some of Mor’s dire circumstances a secret from their family, until Mor was ready to open up to her mother about her situation with Belinus. In contrast to this great sisterly bond, I felt my least favorite character by far was Agrona and Rhan. Seeing that Rhan was possessing Agrona, and that they were consequently working with each other due to their symbiotic relationship, I felt these two characters were the most manipulative, insecure, and weak characters in the story. Both of them seemed clearly intimidated by Catrin’s potential to harness her internal mystical gifts, and they both appeared to love the power they received from deceiving and manipulating their way through King Amren. Their actions appeared to be motivated in hopes to not only seek more control, but also become more magically gifted than Catrin as it seemed they were distinctly threatened by her.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”