Overall rating and opinion of "Apollo's Raven"

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of "Apollo's Raven"

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the September 2018 Book of the Month, "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner. What is your overall opinion of the Apollo's Raven? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on Bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali

Post by gali »

I finished the book a couple of days ago and liked it. I liked story line, the interactions between the characters, the world building, the magic system, and the historical details. Although I liked the romance angle, at times I felt it overshadowed the plot line. Therefore, I gave the book 3 out of 4 stars.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

gali wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 23:36 This is a discussion topic for the September 2018 Book of the Month, "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner. What is your overall opinion of the World, Incorporated? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

I haven't read the book but I have seen so many people read and love it. So I'll be checking it out.

Also, I think you made a slight error Gali,
What is your overall opinion of the World, Incorporated?
Just letting you know :tiphat:
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
gali

Post by gali »

Fuzaila wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 04:28
gali wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 23:36 This is a discussion topic for the September 2018 Book of the Month, "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner. What is your overall opinion of the World, Incorporated? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

I haven't read the book but I have seen so many people read and love it. So I'll be checking it out.

Also, I think you made a slight error Gali,
What is your overall opinion of the World, Incorporated?
Just letting you know :tiphat:
Thank you, I fixed it. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I loved the book. It was a travel in time and I admired the author's detailed descriptions of ancient civilizations. I didn't like the way the romance between Catrin and Marcellus was built, but perhaps I'm too fussy when it comes to romance. Nevertheless, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars and I recommend it to people who love historical books with a twist of fantasy.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Unfortunately, I didn't think that the characters were very believable and had a hard time connecting with this novel. I think the author needed to decide if this was a young adult fantasy novel or one aimed at a larger audience.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I tried to make this a topic in the forum, but it was deemed too general. So, I'm asking it here even though I can't include the poll I made:

Who is the intended audience for this book? I feel like it straddled young adult and adult fantasy...doing neither particularly well. Do you think it falls under Young Adult, General Adult, Historical Fiction, Science Fiction, or another genre?
gali

Post by gali »

CommMayo wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 13:11 I tried to make this a topic in the forum, but it was deemed too general. So, I'm asking it here even though I can't include the poll I made:

Who is the intended audience for this book? I feel like it straddled young adult and adult fantasy...doing neither particularly well. Do you think it falls under Young Adult, General Adult, Historical Fiction, Science Fiction, or another genre?
I think it is a mix of genres and fit both adults and YA.
A retired Admin/Mod

Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I like that this book combines so many elements, such as history, mythology, and fantasy. I don't come across many books that blend all those things so well. It's also well-researched, so it seems like a great book for learning more about Celtic and Roman mythology.
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

I really liked this book because I’m a huge fan of historical fiction. This book delved not only in to one historical culture but two, highlighting the passion the author has for her own work. This certainly came across in the writing and I would therefore give this book 4 out of 4 stars.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I haven't read the book yet, and even though historical fiction is my least favourite genre, I like the fact that the book comprises a little bit of romance.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I liked the book. But again, historical fiction is one of my preferred genres. I was not satisfied with the build up of the romance, though. I give it 3 out of 4 stars.
Norina23
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 56

Post by Norina23 »

Travel back to a time where strong Celtic women find themselves influencing Clansmen, Kings and Queens. This ancient time is set in Rome a very good idea for this type of book and ALSO on the Southeast Coast of Britannia where fantasy, mythology, medieval practices, politics, religion, Celtic culture, the Roman Empire So we have two action spaces and they make the book more interestinf .The most important factor is the romance that brings about this fictional tale tailored by well researched history, archaeological evidence supported with a cast of fictional and non-fictional characters artfully woven in by a very skilled writer like Linnea Tanner.
hardex123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by hardex123 »

i love the book. It was a travel in time and I admired the author's detailed descriptions of ancient civilizations. I didn't like the way the romance between Catrin and Marcellus was built, but perhaps I'm too fussy when it comes to romance.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

historical fantasy is not my favourite genre, but the plot definitely captured my attention. I will make sure to add it to my reading list, but in the meanwhile I will recommend it to others who would enjoy it.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”