What do you think of Agent Silver and his AI?

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
BookDragon100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookdragon100.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

What do you think of Agent Silver and his AI?

Post by BookDragon100 »

What do you think about the relationship between Agent Silver and his ship's AI interface? Did you see him as an additional character or as a tool within Agent Silvers life?
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I viewed Franklin as more of another character and less as a tool. This was easy to discern from the personality he showed.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Hmm... Smart question! I see Agent Silver's electronic computer board as both: an essential and ally.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Beth KG
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: Practice the Jealous Arts
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Beth KG »

BookDragon100 wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 22:14 What do you think about the relationship between Agent Silver and his ship's AI interface? Did you see him as an additional character or as a tool within Agent Silvers life?
Oh, I most definitely viewed Franklin as a character. I thought Franklin would be the one to overcome his programming (rather than Rex). I loved his witty comments to Sliver and Rex.
BookDragon100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookdragon100.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by BookDragon100 »

Me too! I honestly think he was my favorite!
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

The AI of ship of Agent Silver is an additional character in the life of Silver. He does not has an active part in the life of Silver rather he is an extra part of the story by which the concentration of the readers divert from the main story line and the conversation of the story extends because of it.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Franklin is more of a character than a tool. I liked his conversation with Silver especially at the start of the book.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 13:09 The AI of ship of Agent Silver is an additional character in the life of Silver. He does not has an active part in the life of Silver rather he is an extra part of the story by which the concentration of the readers divert from the main story line and the conversation of the story extends because of it.
This is true. I support this view also. Franklin could be treated as a character rather than a tool.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Beth KG wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 17:24
BookDragon100 wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 22:14 What do you think about the relationship between Agent Silver and his ship's AI interface? Did you see him as an additional character or as a tool within Agent Silvers life?
Oh, I most definitely viewed Franklin as a character. I thought Franklin would be the one to overcome his programming (rather than Rex). I loved his witty comments to Sliver and Rex.
Wow, this is great. Had not thought of Franklin overcoming his programming although it seems that Agent Silver knew how to make Franklin lie by hiding information such about Kelly at the beginning of the story.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

At first, I thought Franklin was just in the book to give Sliver someone to interact with. However, as the book progressed he took on a more interesting role and provided some humorous touches.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
chukwudi james
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by chukwudi james »

At first, I thought Franklin was just in the book to give Sliver someone to interact with. However, as the book progressed he took on a more interesting role and provided some humorous touches.
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

I certainly took Franklin to be a character in his own right, no doubt! He brings a very interesting and humorous twist to the whole story. This is probably how AI robots will be in the (near) future. Computers will think for us as we just hang around and hit buttons. :lol:
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

joycechitwa wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 10:10 I certainly took Franklin to be a character in his own right, no doubt! He brings a very interesting and humorous twist to the whole story. This is probably how AI robots will be in the (near) future. Computers will think for us as we just hang around and hit buttons. :lol:
I agree the fact that they two interact more and not just the issuing of commands shows that Franklin can be treated as a character
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

The relationship definitely added some spark to the book. Given their interaction, I found it easier to see the AI as a character rather than just a computer.
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

From the way interacts with Agent Silver, Franklin has proved to be more of an additional character than an aiding tool. The roles he plays are fascinating and add intrigue to the story.

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”