Favorite and Least Favorite Parts

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Re: Favorite and Least Favorite Parts

Post by Bianka Walter »

WendyNorth wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 15:54 Least favorite part was the news articles. At a few points I wanted to quit reading because I was so bored with those parts. I'm glad I pressed on, but I think those could definitely be refined or the main details presented in the story some other way. At first I did like that information was being presented in a different way, but ultimately it grew boring after awhile, and I was thankful to get back into the parts with action and characters to get to know.
I totally agree. The news articles were fine, but they dragged on through almost a third of the book. I think that's what made them so tedious.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Favorite: The conversations between Sliver and Franklin. The humor was needed to balance the long news article chapters.
Least: The death of Kelly. I thought she touched Sliver's buried personality and brought out the best in him. I was hoping they would form a duo to fight injustices.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I also didn't enjoy the news articles, they were boring. Sliver's struggle with his emotions and being are definitely my favorite parts. It made him much more relatable.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

kdstrack wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 20:45 Favorite: The conversations between Sliver and Franklin. The humor was needed to balance the long news article chapters.
Least: The death of Kelly. I thought she touched Sliver's buried personality and brought out the best in him. I was hoping they would form a duo to fight injustices.
I didn't know if the death of Kelly was totally necessary. I agree that it could have been better if the two of them formed some sort of team (with their crazy entourage of AI and cyborgs). It would have definitely opened it up to a sequel a well.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Iviss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iviss.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Iviss »

Definitely the least interesting and the most boring part of the book are the articles. They are significant for the book itself, but they have the opposite effect on the readers.

The best parts of the book are scenes filled with sense of humor, especially Franklin's.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Bianka Walter wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 02:30
kdstrack wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 20:45 Favorite: The conversations between Sliver and Franklin. The humor was needed to balance the long news article chapters.
I didn't know if the death of Kelly was totally necessary. I agree that it could have been better if the two of them formed some sort of team (with their crazy entourage of AI and cyborgs). It would have definitely opened it up to a sequel a well.
I wonder if the Kelly's demise isn't part of an overall schematic theme of introducing a new female character in each installment - similar to the 007 movies?? She reminded Sliver of what he was like before Ancarn (BA). She made him realize that he could be something more than a covert assassin. In the end, that was something that motivated him to not jump. She gave him hope, and that hope survived, even when she didn't
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

kdstrack wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 06:52
Bianka Walter wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 02:30
I wonder if the Kelly's demise isn't part of an overall schematic theme of introducing a new female character in each installment - similar to the 007 movies?? She reminded Sliver of what he was like before Ancarn (BA). She made him realize that he could be something more than a covert assassin. In the end, that was something that motivated him to not jump. She gave him hope, and that hope survived, even when she didn't

BA - love that.
Well, either way, I suppose you've just mentioned loads of ways that it was actually ok that she died! And it's all for the betterment of a sequel. My biggest qualm is that this book was written in 2012, I wonder where our long-awaited sequel is?
Bye, Kelly. Ala-James-Bond, you will be replaced with a better, less dressed version in the sequel :lol2:
- Dr. Seuss
Shalomsamuels1
Favorite Book: Worm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalomsamuels1.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Shalomsamuels1 »

Favorite Part:
Sliver and Rex breaking into the loan shark's office.
Least Favorite:
Sliver and Kelly trying banter. Ugh.
Shalomsamuels1
Favorite Book: Worm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalomsamuels1.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Shalomsamuels1 »

Kibetious wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 06:52 I also do support that the death of Kelly could as well be my other less favorite part. It is so hard to believe that after initiating the process that saw the transformation of Agent Silver, Kelly died. I hoped that she would have lived on.
i personally was expecting kelly to die. gariffo needed a way to add emotion in the book and he went with a cliche death.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

My least favorite parts were also the newspaper clips but what irked me even more than that was the convenient way everything seemed to fall in place for Agent Silver such as Rex suddenly discovering his free will and deciding not to kill him.
My favorite part was watching Agent Silver slowly change, it felt like peeling the layers of an onion. Just when you thought you were done, you realise there is more to be discovered.
WendyNorth
Currently Reading: My Author Is Dead
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendynorth.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by WendyNorth »

I'd have to say that the conversations between Sliver and Franklin were probably my favorite too. They were quite funny together, and I couldn't help but appreciate the dry sense of humor all around.
Sdejardine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdejardine.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Sdejardine »

I have to agree with your least favorite part. The articles were so long and mundane that I actually thought about not finishing the book. I'm glad I did, because the other parts of the book were very good. Maybe if the author would have given us a brief history lesson without news articles it would have been more palatable.

As for my favorite part, the ending was exciting and not quite what I expected. Without giving away any details, I did see some things coming, but the author made it exciting and left some things to be a surprise.
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

Least favorite for me definitely has got to be the newspaper articles. Why wouldn't the author just probably put them as a reference in the end for those who want to read the whole thing, and just stick with the summary of what it said?

Most favorite for me was the character of Franklin. He could lighten any gloomy mood with his humor!
eyespy
Currently Reading: Edgar Allan Poe
Bookshelf Size: 925

Post by eyespy »

I'm having a really hard time summoning up the interest to get past chapter 4. The big data dump of articles is not bringing me joy. Character-driven plots are my favorite and I'm not getting enough of the human element to have fun reading.

I've picked up the book so many times, read a few pages, and then switched to the cozy mystery series I've been enjoying.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

joycechitwa wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 10:22 Least favorite for me definitely has got to be the newspaper articles. Why wouldn't the author just probably put them as a reference in the end for those who want to read the whole thing, and just stick with the summary of what it said?

Most favorite for me was the character of Franklin. He could lighten any gloomy mood with his humor!
I LOVED Franklin. I can't wait till we can all have one :)
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”