Similarites between World Inc. and Wall-E

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Re: Similarites between World Inc. and Wall-E

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Bianka Walter wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 01:18
ValBookReviews wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 23:55 ooh, I wish I had seen the film Wall-E to participate.
You should! It's very sweet (in direct contrast to World, Inc) :)
Okay! Thank you! Maybe I'll give it a shot. :tiphat:
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
xBibliobibulix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1638
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xbibliobibulix.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by xBibliobibulix »

I definitely think there are similarities. Most science fiction is derivative now, very rarely is a concept brand new (not that there is anything wrong with that it just is). The idea of a big corporation taking over and turning the masses into mindless drones is a recurring theme in a lot of Sci-Fi so I'm not surprised you made a connection but it was a good one! :D
"There are people who read too much: bibliobibuli. . .They wander through this most diverting and stimulating of worlds in a haze, seeing nothing and hearing nothing." -H. L. Mencken
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

xBibliobibulix wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 23:41 I definitely think there are similarities. Most science fiction is derivative now, very rarely is a concept brand new (not that there is anything wrong with that it just is). The idea of a big corporation taking over and turning the masses into mindless drones is a recurring theme in a lot of Sci-Fi so I'm not surprised you made a connection but it was a good one! :D
There are a lot of connections between all sci-fi/dystopia these days. I suppose coming up with something new is not easy. Although, corporations taking over at least hasn't been done to death. I feel like nuclear war and global warming are concepts that are a little redundant now.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

True. I think, however, that we haven't gotten enough Terminator-esque movies. There's still some good stories to be told on that front.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

AnnaKathleen wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 09:49 Now that you mention it, I see it a little too. I think similarities are bound to happen when the genre is shared - especially when big corporations are a controversial and loaded topic sometimes. However,the author did a good job with the differences, keeping the story from being stale.
It's good when authors take the time to properly work a story and create a unique experience.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

JHuschle519 wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 16:23
Bianka Walter wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 12:00 I know that the two stories couldn't be more different, but I couldn't help noticing some big similarities between World Incorporated and the Pixar film Wall-E.
In both, the big corporations take over, and the somewhat mindless people go about their everyday lives without much stimulation.
Did anyone else notice a slight connection between the two? Was there anything else from the book that shared themes from Wall-E?
I'll admit that I can see the similarity between the two, but only because you've mentioned it. I'm not sure I see any other similarities, however. Yes, they both have big corporations in charge, but I would say that in Wall-E the corporations took control due to lack of any other choice, and there was really nothing malicious about what they were doing. The behavior of the supercorporations in World Incorporated was drastically different. Still, I love that you noticed that one slight connection. Finding those little similarities has always been one of the fun parts of reading for me.
Nice observation. It's true that the corporations in Wall-E were not malicious, and they eventual collapse of society was unintended.
― Charles William Eliot
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

ayoomisope wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 04:29 True. I think, however, that we haven't gotten enough Terminator-esque movies. There's still some good stories to be told on that front.
Oh great idea. Maybe we should write a strongly worded letter to Spielberg and tell him to sort that out for us.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

Bianka Walter wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 05:11
ayoomisope wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 04:29 True. I think, however, that we haven't gotten enough Terminator-esque movies. There's still some good stories to be told on that front.
Oh great idea. Maybe we should write a strongly worded letter to Spielberg and tell him to sort that out for us.
Hmm. Maybe. I'm really up to it. James Cameron might not be so glad about it though.
― Charles William Eliot
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

ayoomisope wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 05:13
Bianka Walter wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 05:11
Hmm. Maybe. I'm really up to it. James Cameron might not be so glad about it though.
Cameron's far too busy with Avatar 2.
- Dr. Seuss
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

I as well noticed similarities in government take over by corporations. This could be fatal in the long run. Corporations are businesses entities he'll bent on making profits and not addressing the societal problems.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I did not occur to me to make this comparison but I think you are onto something. I think maybe both critique the modern’s world obsession with consumerism. In World, Incorporated everyone is just a consumer and the corporations compete for their loyalty. There are personalized ads everywhere. In Wally, we see that the people aboard the spacecraft spend all days sitting in front of a screen and eating junk food. In other words, in both novels people live only to consume products and use technology. Also, in both stories everyone behaves the same way.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

I didn't really think about that comparison but I can definitely see the similarities. Especially with the mindlessness of the citizens.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

Yes, the corporations are taking over governments while the people go about their daily business. The people do not know what is going on in the society.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Yolimari wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 15:11 I did not occur to me to make this comparison but I think you are onto something. I think maybe both critique the modern’s world obsession with consumerism. In World, Incorporated everyone is just a consumer and the corporations compete for their loyalty. There are personalized ads everywhere. In Wally, we see that the people aboard the spacecraft spend all days sitting in front of a screen and eating junk food. In other words, in both novels people live only to consume products and use technology. Also, in both stories everyone behaves the same way.
It's the people that get to me the most. Imagine living in a world where you are controlled by what you buy. Everyone says that the corporations give freedom from government, but I wouldn't like to like in a world where I'm governed by what products I purchase.
- Dr. Seuss
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

Bianka Walter wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 01:32
Yolimari wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 15:11 I did not occur to me to make this comparison but I think you are onto something. I think maybe both critique the modern’s world obsession with consumerism. In World, Incorporated everyone is just a consumer and the corporations compete for their loyalty. There are personalized ads everywhere. In Wally, we see that the people aboard the spacecraft spend all days sitting in front of a screen and eating junk food. In other words, in both novels people live only to consume products and use technology. Also, in both stories everyone behaves the same way.
It's the people that get to me the most. Imagine living in a world where you are controlled by what you buy. Everyone says that the corporations give freedom from government, but I wouldn't like to like in a world where I'm governed by what products I purchase.
I agree. People would not have an identity.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”