SPOILER ALERT: The Reclamation

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

SPOILER ALERT: The Reclamation

Post by sharkyjen998 »

Did anyone else pick up on the subtle, yet undeniable, likeness between Agent Silver's experience before and during the Reclamation and real-world government funded projects like MK-ULTRA?

-----

MK-ULTRA was a classified CIA project that conducted experiments on hundreds of individuals (sometimes unknowing U.S. citizens) to learn more about trauma-based mind control. The controversial project lasted from 1953-1973, and details about the unconscionable projects were finally made public in 1975. The project used mind control, hypnosis, and even torture to convince otherwise 'normal' people to take part in horrific acts that they would later entirely forget. Take a look at some of the well-known projects:

Cold War Projects - human experiments involving electroshock therapy and psychedelic drugs conducted in universities, prisons, and hospitals.

"The Church Committee" - creating soldiers capable of executing plots to assassinate influential foreign leaders such as Fidel Castro

These insane experiments eventually led to an Executive Order in 1976 which prohibited U.S. intelligence agencies from experimenting on human subjects without their informed consent.

---

Similarly, in World, Incorporated Agent Silver went through some kind of torture and experimentation that he has difficulty recalling (other than during intrusive flashbacks). Eventually, he was brought out of the horrific prison-like experiment and placed into a 'reeducation' facility likely by the very same people who put him through the torturous experiment. He often mentions feeling numb and dissociated which are both side-effects of trauma and torture, but his fleeting moments of emotion seem to be slowly breaking the hold the mind-control has over him.

Thoughts?
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Thanks for the details, which I had never heard of. Anyway the transformation process made me reminded of the movie Jason Borne, which has a similar sort of story
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
sharkyjen998
Currently Reading:

Post by sharkyjen998 »

Sushan wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 09:07 Thanks for the details, which I had never heard of. Anyway the transformation process made me reminded of the movie Jason Borne, which has a similar sort of story
That's true! These "super soldiers" are a theme in many stories, but few realize the very real experiments that took place by our own government to create them! There are a lot of theories out there about Lee Harvey Oswald, John Booth, and others being victims of these mind contol projects!
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I had not heard of that experiment. Sadly, I do not think it is improbable. I expect we would be dismayed to know what many world governments are capable of.
ShareTheGift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharethegift.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by ShareTheGift »

Behavior individuals have been subjected to can definitely change them. The Stanford Prison Experiment definitely proved that. Those assigned the role of prison guards became stern and abusive and those assigned the role of prisoners became fearful and stir crazy. So even those who consent to various experiments have no idea how their behavior may change.

I had passed on reading this book but based on your question and correlation to real world events I might give it a read.
Surakshita-11
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surakshita-11.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by Surakshita-11 »

I have never once heard of such horrific experiments taking place anywhere in the world. Thanks for knowledge.I think this may have inspired thw author too to create this plot in story
sharkyjen998
Currently Reading:

Post by sharkyjen998 »

ShareTheGift wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 12:12 Behavior individuals have been subjected to can definitely change them. The Stanford Prison Experiment definitely proved that. Those assigned the role of prison guards became stern and abusive and those assigned the role of prisoners became fearful and stir crazy. So even those who consent to various experiments have no idea how their behavior may change.

I had passed on reading this book but based on your question and correlation to real world events I might give it a read.
Well thank you! That means a lot! The Stanford Prison Experiment is something that has always interested me. I was saddened to hear about recent claims that the results are fraudulent based on deceit.
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

I hadn't heard of those experiments. It made me think of the Holocaust with the twin experiments though. Yours seems like a much stronger comparison!
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

Yes they look quite similar; but I'very never heard of such horrific experiments being carried out in any part of the world untill now.The plot at the same time is quite captivating.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

It put me more in mind of A Clockwork Orange, but MK Ultra fits as well. There is another novel or movie that uses the same phrase 'The Reclamation' for a similar event but the name escapes me at the moment.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

Okay that's something to think about. Truth is there are a lot of movies featuring these super human soldiers but I hate to think things like that could ever really happen. Just the thought of it is disturbing.
Han aaron
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Han aaron »

Behavior individuals have been subjected to can definitely change them. The Stanford Prison Experiment definitely proved that. Those assigned the role of prison guards became stern and abusive and those assigned the role of prisoners became fearful and stir crazy. So even those who consent to various experiments have no idea how their behavior may change.

kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

Since I fell victim to spoilers few months ago, I have been on the alert. Its unfortunate reviewers sometimes fall victim to such circumstances. I believe everyone must fall a victim to spoilers so they learn some lessons.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I do not know much about the projects highlighted above but it seems that they are closely linked with what agent Silver went through.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

I do remember reading something somewhere about experiments like that but I can't remember where, but now that you mention it yes, it does sound similar.

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”