Technological advancements

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
thebookaholic1
Currently Reading: Brave New Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 529
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebookaholic1.html
Latest Review: In Pursuit of The Pale Prince by Mark Wallace

Re: Technological advancements

Post by thebookaholic1 »

Sophia, Sophia, Sophia. Have you seen it? Or should I say seen 'her'? That debate she had with the other robot?

That technology is already here
SammiArch
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammiarch.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by SammiArch »

This advancement is absolutely plausible. Look at the technology we already possess. Cars stopping and parallel parking themselves; AI, like Alexa, turning off the lights and ordering pizza. The developments we have today, greatly surpasses anything imaginable 40 years ago. Realistically, we can't even fathom what is in store over the next 4 decades.
Sammi Arch
grace8031
Currently Reading: Rats on the train
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace8031.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by grace8031 »

Technology is the way to the future some of this are within our reach.
teevic_o
Currently Reading: Paladin
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teevic-o.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by teevic_o »

Much as technological advancements are impressive and improving fast, they tend to be also somewhat scary. Maybe that's just me
What we achieve inwardly will change our outer reality far more greatly than anything else.
~Plutarch
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 07:34 This book is set 40 years into the future. There are various technological advancements including one of the main characters, Franklin, who is an onboard computer. He is capable of intelligent conversation, decision making, and driving agent Sliver's airship. I'm not sure if this type of advancement is achievable within the next 40 years. Based on the other technologies in the book, which ones do you think are possible in the foreseeable future?
Technology is advancing by leaps and bounds and hence, it can never be said concretely that the type of advancement seen in this book is not achievable in the next 40 years. it is difficult to achieve but not impossible.

I think a computer who is able to engage in intelligent conversation is achievable since already AI-driven robots are making the headlines frequently these days.
Ashley Cremer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-cremer.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Ashley Cremer »

I am unsure about these technological advancements in the next 40 years. We do advance everyday, however, some of these advancements are so far-fetched that I am not sure if they will ever happen.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

Technology is truly advancing even before now, so by now- anticipating even more advanced technology is never a mirage.
Robby Chandra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Robby Chandra »

seeing current technological advancements, in my opinion anything can happen in the next 40 years.
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

At the rate we are going, I wouldn't be surprised. Technology is becoming much more advanced in shorter amounts of time. I don't know about 40 years, but nothing should ever be ruled out when it comes to technology. Some people are willing to go the distance.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m not sure that I can see any of the technologies in particular being used regularly. I do, however, think that a lot of the things in the novel will be seen. For instance, we already have self-driving, self-parking cars, and that at least relates to Franklin. There are also things (drinks, pen & paper) that appear automatically in offices. This technology doesn’t seem to be as far off as sometimes perceived.

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”