Technological advancements

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Technological advancements

Post by David Horta Alonso »

Computerisation of various sectors is highly possible. Most transaction and businesses today are being performed through computers.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

ea_anthony wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 19:31
ea_anthony wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 16:35
ea_anthony wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 18:20
The Elon Musks of this world and the thousands of less attention seeking innovators are there to ensure we are surprised. I have read snippets of Alvin Toffler's Third Wave (published in 1980), he had a good idea of how technology would shape the future (our present). Moore's law about chip capacity doubling in size every year or two can also explains the exponential growth in technology growing over the years and into the future.
Let's also not forget that the AI race is on. In 2017 The UAE appointed a Minister of Artificial Intelligence and they plan to build a colony on Mars by 2117. In my home country, the commercial banks have all started launching AI assistants on call 24/7.
I just read an article estimating AI generated business value will be about $1 Trillion this 2018 and about $4 Trillion in 2022 (That means a quadrupling in under 4 years), at this rate nothing will stop AI. Another interesting thing was the prediction by a research firm Gartner that AI will create 2.3 million jobs and eliminate 1.8 million — a net increase of 500,000 jobs — by 2020.
Technology is on the march.
That is very interesting. I suppose those are only entry numbers, I wonder what the increase will be. I wonder if the created jobs will always outweigh the eliminated jobs? I doubt it. One thing's for sure, it's companies like this that we should buy shares in today!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 07:34 This book is set 40 years into the future. There are various technological advancements including one of the main characters, Franklin, who is an onboard computer. He is capable of intelligent conversation, decision making, and driving agent Sliver's airship. I'm not sure if this type of advancement is achievable within the next 40 years. Based on the other technologies in the book, which ones do you think are possible in the foreseeable future?
Franklin the on board computer
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

Application of computers is already being witnessed today. This can be seen in Uber cars.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

Bianka Walter wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 01:41
ea_anthony wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 19:31
ea_anthony wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 16:35
Let's also not forget that the AI race is on. In 2017 The UAE appointed a Minister of Artificial Intelligence and they plan to build a colony on Mars by 2117. In my home country, the commercial banks have all started launching AI assistants on call 24/7.
I just read an article estimating AI generated business value will be about $1 Trillion this 2018 and about $4 Trillion in 2022 (That means a quadrupling in under 4 years), at this rate nothing will stop AI. Another interesting thing was the prediction by a research firm Gartner that AI will create 2.3 million jobs and eliminate 1.8 million — a net increase of 500,000 jobs — by 2020.
Technology is on the march.
That is very interesting. I suppose those are only entry numbers, I wonder what the increase will be. I wonder if the created jobs will always outweigh the eliminated jobs? I doubt it. One thing's for sure, it's companies like this that we should buy shares in today!
Lol, super investment tip and I do believe you could turn out very right. Technology has always created more jobs, always.
See the following tech coys and their staff strength -2018 ( culled from wikipedia)
Google 85,050
Facebook 30,275
Apple 123,000
Microsoft 131,300
Tesla 37,543
Samsung 489,000 (2014)
Intel 106,000
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Raya raymond

Post by Raya raymond »

David Horta Alonso wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 09:53 Application of computers is already being witnessed today. This can be seen in Uber cars.
Yeah hadn't thought of that.
Raya raymond

Post by Raya raymond »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 12:57
JHuschle519 wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 08:56 Well, I think the first on ewe would see would be the watch that Agent Sliver uses to access all of his mission data. It's obviously far more advanced than today's smartwatches, but not by that much.

The other technology in this book that I see as possibly in the near future, although I hope to God it never comes to be, is the personalized advertisements throughout the cities. We already have facial recognition, and databases full of our consumer information, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to make this type of technology happen.
Absolutely. When I was reading, I actually thought about how the internet tracks your movements and shows you adverts according to what you have been surfing. I suppose this is the same premise.
Yeah I think it's the same.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

The paranoid in me thinks robots like Franklin or Rex are already on the move without the knowledge of the general public. I am more of a traditionalist and quite uncomfortable with technology, but I cant't stand in the way of progress as troubling as the idea of an over-computerized future may seem to me. :)
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

cristinaro wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 10:02 The paranoid in me thinks robots like Franklin or Rex are already on the move without the knowledge of the general public. I am more of a traditionalist and quite uncomfortable with technology, but I cant't stand in the way of progress as troubling as the idea of an over-computerized future may seem to me. :)
The worst part is, I don't think you're paranoid. I think we know nothing about what scientists have achieved. I'm also not a fan of technology moving forward so quickly, but without knowing it, we get used to it. Change is easy as long as it's introduced slowly as far as I'm concerned.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

If we look around the world today, we will see that artificial intelligence (AI) is slowly becoming a thing. So the existence of an entity like Franklin in the forseeable future is not very farfetched. Apart from that, I believe the existence of things like retina identification, Agent Silver's watch etc are very much possible.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Kajori50 wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 12:02 If we look around the world today, we will see that artificial intelligence (AI) is slowly becoming a thing. So the existence of an entity like Franklin in the forseeable future is not very farfetched. Apart from that, I believe the existence of things like retina identification, Agent Silver's watch etc are very much possible.
Retina identification must be a thing already? If the Iphone can use facial identification to unlock, I'm sure the serious vaults of the world should have retina id? Or do I watch too many movies?
- Dr. Seuss
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

AI is probably achievable in the next few years. It will be interesting how ethics will play a role when it we do get to that point.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Bianka Walter wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 08:08
Kajori50 wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 12:02 If we look around the world today, we will see that artificial intelligence (AI) is slowly becoming a thing. So the existence of an entity like Franklin in the forseeable future is not very farfetched. Apart from that, I believe the existence of things like retina identification, Agent Silver's watch etc are very much possible.
Retina identification must be a thing already? If the Iphone can use facial identification to unlock, I'm sure the serious vaults of the world should have retina id? Or do I watch too many movies?
Even I have seen it in many movies and movies are supposed to be inspired by real life. I am not sure but perhaps you are right and it is already a thing.
palmerNgozi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palmerngozi.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by palmerNgozi »

I totally disagree, this technology is very visible and would visualize soon. with artificial intelligence, machine learning even crypto world anything is possible.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

The technological advancements portrayed in the book do not sound farfetched to me. They are totally attainable, if not already existing.

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”