Read-A-Long of "The Diviners" by Libba Bray

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Read-A-Long of "The Diviners" by Libba Bray

Post by gali »

Read-A-Long of "The Diviners" by Libba Bray: present and ongoing.

hsimone & gali
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I actually have never heard of this series or this author, but when I read the synopsis, I became excited to start. It looks like it has a good blend of genres (supernatural/fantasy, mystery, young adult, and historical fiction?). I have yet to start it, but am planning to read some tonight.

How would you like to discuss the book? By certain number of chapters? See where we are every couple of days? Just pop in here whenever a thought occurs to us? A combination?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 12:52 I actually have never heard of this series or this author, but when I read the synopsis, I became excited to start. It looks like it has a good blend of genres (supernatural/fantasy, mystery, young adult, and historical fiction?). I have yet to start it, but am planning to read some tonight.

How would you like to discuss the book? By certain number of chapters? See where we are every couple of days? Just pop in here whenever a thought occurs to us? A combination?
The book was on my list for ever. I heard it is good.

I think all of the above. I started it and hope to finish a few chapters by tomorrow. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It does sound good. :)

Okie dokes, all of the above it is. :) I'll aim to read a few chapters by tomorrow, as well.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 13:38 It does sound good. :)

Okie dokes, all of the above it is. :) I'll aim to read a few chapters by tomorrow, as well.
Where are you in the book? I am on page 78. Have you reached the scene of Thea yet?

After a slow start, the pace picked up.

Spoilers:
-
-
-
-
-
-
I like the alternating perspectives between the characters. Evie sure likes to drew attention to herself. Her talent to read objects is cool, but her behavior was outrageous. The spirit of Naughty John was rather scary! Jericho was quit odd, Memphis the healer cool, and Theta, the chorus girl, mysterious. I wonder what her power is!

Those old ladies, Miss Addie and Miss Lilian, sure are a treat!
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Right now, I'm on page 49, chapter "It's Just the Bennington, Dear", but I do plan on reading more later. At this point, I haven't reached the part of Thea yet. I'm liking it so far. I think Evie is pretty sassy and naive, which I feel is a good combination for potential later growth. It's clear that she is a Diviner and I feel Memphis is as well, so I'll be curious how many other Diviners will be introduced and how they will use their abilities.

As a side-note, I feel this might be a good book for the Monthly Genre Discussion. :)

By the way, thank you for the advance warning about the spoilers in your post. When I get page 78/Thea part, then I'll make sure to read it. :tiphat:
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 15:10 Right now, I'm on page 49, chapter "It's Just the Bennington, Dear", but I do plan on reading more later. At this point, I haven't reached the part of Thea yet. I'm liking it so far. I think Evie is pretty sassy and naive, which I feel is a good combination for potential later growth. It's clear that she is a Diviner and I feel Memphis is as well, so I'll be curious how many other Diviners will be introduced and how they will use their abilities.

As a side-note, I feel this might be a good book for the Monthly Genre Discussion. :)

By the way, thank you for the advance warning about the spoilers in your post. When I get page 78/Thea part, then I'll make sure to read it. :tiphat:
When you reach that part, we can discuss it further. I read some more the other night and it became even better.

The spoilers are mostly about their abilities, as I didn't know where you are in the book.

I agree, it is a good book for the Monthly Genre Discussion. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 06:13
Spoilers:

I like the alternating perspectives between the characters. Evie sure likes to drew attention to herself. Her talent to read objects is cool, but her behavior was outrageous. The spirit of Naughty John was rather scary! Jericho was quit odd, Memphis the healer cool, and Theta, the chorus girl, mysterious. I wonder what her power is!

Okay, so I read up to page 84 (end of the "Passing Stranger" chapter). Oh boy! That Naughty John is so creepy! I was waiting for him to come back since the spirit was released in the first chapter, but geez, I didn't realize he'd come back like that. At first, I thought 'how thick can you be to even talk to this strange man?' when Ruta was approached by "Mr. Hobbes", but then I realized quickly that he was able to influence her to follow him. Then, the ritual that he'll perform? Gosh...so creepy :shock:

I also like the alternating perspectives. Evie is somewhat ridiculous and causing so much of a ruckus, but I do like her talent and can't wait to see what else she learns. Jericho is odd, and I wonder what role does Evie's uncle plays in all these supernatural powers? I'm curious to see if Memphis really can't heal anymore. I bet he still can and I'm curious how he will use this power later on. Theta is pretty mysterious and I want to know what her power is, too!

Miss Addie and Miss Lilian were a hoot!

I'm really enjoying the book so far! Where are you in the book?
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 22:34 When you reach that part, we can discuss it further. I read some more the other night and it became even better.

The spoilers are mostly about their abilities, as I didn't know where you are in the book.

I agree, it is a good book for the Monthly Genre Discussion. :)
That's awesome to hear that the book got even better as you continued reading! I'm excited to continue. :)
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 10:51
gali wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 06:13
Spoilers:

Okay, so I read up to page 84 (end of the "Passing Stranger" chapter). Oh boy! That Naughty John is so creepy! I was waiting for him to come back since the spirit was released in the first chapter, but geez, I didn't realize he'd come back like that. At first, I thought 'how thick can you be to even talk to this strange man?' when Ruta was approached by "Mr. Hobbes", but then I realized quickly that he was able to influence her to follow him. Then, the ritual that he'll perform? Gosh...so creepy :shock:

I also like the alternating perspectives. Evie is somewhat ridiculous and causing so much of a ruckus, but I do like her talent and can't wait to see what else she learns. Jericho is odd, and I wonder what role does Evie's uncle plays in all these supernatural powers? I'm curious to see if Memphis really can't heal anymore. I bet he still can and I'm curious how he will use this power later on. Theta is pretty mysterious and I want to know what her power is, too!

Miss Addie and Miss Lilian were a hoot!

I'm really enjoying the book so far! Where are you in the book?
I am on page 173, "Funny how things work out".

Naughty John is creepy and the ritual was chilling! I felt sorry for Ruta, silly though she was. Have you reached the John's note part?

Spoilers:
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
Have you noticed his note says she is the "fifth offering"?

It was odd Evie helped with the murder case. BTW, she did more of her parlor tricks later, and much worse, and I wanted to shake her. Her wish for attention will be the death of her! (not really, but you know what I mean).

I discovered a few more characters with more talents like Sam, Henry, and Memphis's brother. Jericho hides something as well. I wonder how many diviners there are, and how can they stop the evil power.
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 11:05 I am on page 173, "Funny how things work out".

Naughty John is creepy and the ritual was chilling! I felt sorry for Ruta, silly though she was. Have you reached the John's note part?

It was odd Evie helped with the murder case. BTW, she did more of her parlor tricks later, and much worse, and I wanted to shake her. Her wish for attention will be the death of her! (not really, but you know what I mean).

I discovered a few more characters with more talents like Sam, Henry, and Memphis's brother. Jericho hides something as well. I wonder how many diviners there are, and how can they stop the evil power.
Okay, I just reached the chapter of "Funny how things work out", though it's page 191 for me. Good thing the chapter titles are the same!

Naughty John is totally creepy! Yes, poor Ruta. She didn't deserve that, and I'm sure she suffered quite a bit.

I found the upside pentacle odd and interesting. I forget where I read or heard that the inverted shape is used for darker purposes, so I wasn't too shocked, but thought it was clever to add it in. Yes, I read the note that John left. "The Whore of Babylon" made me think of the Bible, too, but it seems that this entity isn't entirely using the Bible as its "inspiration".

Yes!! I did notice that it said it was the fifth offering! I wonder what the first four offerings were? The sixth offering was so very sad. :(

Geez! I know Evie can't seem to chill out and think before she acts. Maybe the fact that they were all pretty tipsy not many people will remember? Who knows though? A talent like that wouldn't be easy to forget.

It's funny because I had pictured Sam and Jericho to be much older than 17/18, but there's definitely something fishy about Jericho. I can't tell exactly what and is he really interested in Evie or is there something else there? Maybe he knows that she has the ability to read objects or maybe he's somehow working with Naughty John or maybe he'll bring all the Diviners together? I'm also wondering how are all the Diviners going to stop the evil...

Also, do you think the Henry in Evie's latest dream that said "Don't remember me?" was actually Henry in real-life? Something tells me yes, but maybe you already know, at this point. :)

Where are you now?
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 11:40
gali wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 11:05 I am on page 173, "Funny how things work out".

Okay, I just reached the chapter of "Funny how things work out", though it's page 191 for me. Good thing the chapter titles are the same!

Naughty John is totally creepy! Yes, poor Ruta. She didn't deserve that, and I'm sure she suffered quite a bit.

I found the upside pentacle odd and interesting. I forget where I read or heard that the inverted shape is used for darker purposes, so I wasn't too shocked, but thought it was clever to add it in. Yes, I read the note that John left. "The Whore of Babylon" made me think of the Bible, too, but it seems that this entity isn't entirely using the Bible as its "inspiration".

Yes!! I did notice that it said it was the fifth offering! I wonder what the first four offerings were? The sixth offering was so very sad. :(

Geez! I know Evie can't seem to chill out and think before she acts. Maybe the fact that they were all pretty tipsy not many people will remember? Who knows though? A talent like that wouldn't be easy to forget.

It's funny because I had pictured Sam and Jericho to be much older than 17/18, but there's definitely something fishy about Jericho. I can't tell exactly what and is he really interested in Evie or is there something else there? Maybe he knows that she has the ability to read objects or maybe he's somehow working with Naughty John or maybe he'll bring all the Diviners together? I'm also wondering how are all the Diviners going to stop the evil...

Also, do you think the Henry in Evie's latest dream that said "Don't remember me?" was actually Henry in real-life? Something tells me yes, but maybe you already know, at this point. :)

Where are you now?
I am on page 215, "The house on the hill".

The murder of Ruta was horrible. Taking her eyes for the ritual gave me the chills.

The upside pentacle was interesting, and it was good the author reminds us of its meaning.

I hope Jericho isn't evil, as I grew to like him.

I wonder what secret Sam hides.

I think she saw Henry in her dream. I think his talent is walking in the dreams, though it doesn't say so explicitly.

The book's tone reminds me of Stephen King's books, albeit not as scary.

Spoilers:
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_

It was mentioned later the the note was taken from the "Book of Revelation".

Evie cooperation with the journalist was too much even for her.

Poor Memphis lost his healing talent due to his mother's death. I wonder if he will get it back.

Have you reached the second murder yet? It was horrible! Poor kid. This time his hands were taken.

They now know that the killer follows the rituals in the book of the Brethren in order to bring the end of the world. Throwing in the Ku Klux Klan adds to the confusion.

The street beggar knows more than he tells. I wonder how he lost his sight.
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 12:18 I am on page 215, "The house on the hill".

The murder of Ruta was horrible. Taking her eyes for the ritual gave me the chills.

The upside pentacle was interesting, and it was good the author reminds us of its meaning.

I hope Jericho isn't evil, as I grew to like him.

I wonder what secret Sam hides.

I think she saw Henry in her dream. I think his talent is walking in the dreams, though it doesn't say so explicitly.

The book's tone reminds me of Stephen King's books, albeit not as scary.
Me too! It reminded me, kind of, of a movie. I think it was called Jeepers Creepers. I don't remember much since it's been a while, but I think the evil person takes the eyes of people.

Yeah, reading a bit more I don't think Jericho's evil, but Sam makes me curious. I also wonder what he's deal is.

Yep, Evie definitely saw Henry in her dreams and vice versa.
gali wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 12:18
I just reached "The house on the hill" chapter.
Spoilers:

It was mentioned later the the note was taken from the "Book of Revelation".

Evie cooperation with the journalist was too much even for her.

Poor Memphis lost his healing talent due to his mother's death. I wonder if he will get it back.

Have you reached the second murder yet? It was horrible! Poor kid. This time his hands were taken.

They now know that the killer follows the rituals in the book of the Brethren in order to bring the end of the world. Throwing in the Ku Klux Klan adds to the confusion.

The street beggar knows more than he tells. I wonder how he lost his sight.
Good point about the quote being taken from the "Book of Revelations". The anti-Christ/the Beast concept is pretty creepy. So, Naughty John is doing all of this to raise the Beast? Oh, geez. I can't imagine what the Beast will do!

Also, how can one girl be that dim-witted? Okay, so maybe since Evie's still a teenager, but I want to say that I wasn't that gullible when I was her age. Also, "Operation Jericho" just made me roll my eyes. I think Evie can be a bit too pushy sometimes and I'm not a fan of that.

You know what I'm curious about - who was the guy in Memphis's vision when he was trying to heal his mother? He seemed creepy, like he could be Naughty John, but he could also have been the Grim Reaper? I feel bad that he lost his power trying to help his mother, but I feel he'll get it back. Maybe if he has to save Isiah. What I am curious about is if the little dead bird represented more than death since his mom asked Memphis what he had done.

Oh my gosh! I know, poor kid. Those idiots who tricked him and locked him in that building already had my heart sad, but when Naughty John came (and I knew he was coming) just made everything worse. And he was only 12!

Yeah, I don't understand the Ku Klux Klan addition. Hopefully, the author will tie that in together better.

Blind Bill totally knows more than he's sharing with Memphis. He mentioned something about it was good timing that Memphis lost his ability to heal. I think he knows evil is here and worse is yet to come. I also wonder how he lost his eyesight.

I'll definitely be reading more today! Where are you at?
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 08:28 Good point about the quote being taken from the "Book of Revelations". The anti-Christ/the Beast concept is pretty creepy. So, Naughty John is doing all of this to raise the Beast? Oh, geez. I can't imagine what the Beast will do!

Also, how can one girl be that dim-witted? Okay, so maybe since Evie's still a teenager, but I want to say that I wasn't that gullible when I was her age. Also, "Operation Jericho" just made me roll my eyes. I think Evie can be a bit too pushy sometimes and I'm not a fan of that.

You know what I'm curious about - who was the guy in Memphis's vision when he was trying to heal his mother? He seemed creepy, like he could be Naughty John, but he could also have been the Grim Reaper? I feel bad that he lost his power trying to help his mother, but I feel he'll get it back. Maybe if he has to save Isiah. What I am curious about is if the little dead bird represented more than death since his mom asked Memphis what he had done.

Oh my gosh! I know, poor kid. Those idiots who tricked him and locked him in that building already had my heart sad, but when Naughty John came (and I knew he was coming) just made everything worse. And he was only 12!

Yeah, I don't understand the Ku Klux Klan addition. Hopefully, the author will tie that in together better.

Blind Bill totally knows more than he's sharing with Memphis. He mentioned something about it was good timing that Memphis lost his ability to heal. I think he knows evil is here and worse is yet to come. I also wonder how he lost his eyesight.

I'll definitely be reading more today! Where are you at?
I am now on pg 300, "A terrible choice". I can't stop reading! I hope the author won't leave us hanging at the end, just because it is the first book in the series.

Evie is acting pretty dumb and it gets worse. She is also quite selfish!

The guy in Memphis's vision is either Naughty John or the Grim Reaper, hard to tell at this point.

Apropos birds, a live crow follows Memphis around, another omen.

Poor kid indeed! A pity those idiots kids weren't punished for their dirty trick!

Maybe the author threw in the Ku Klux Klan as a red herring.

Later on we are told how Blind Bill lost his sight. I feel sorry for him.

Spoilers:
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
Isiah turned out to be one of the diviners as well!

Evie is irritating! She disobeyed her uncle and went to a night club with Mabel, Henry, and Theta, refused to leave when Mabel asked her to. Both of them were arrested when the police raided the place. Sam's talent sure helped him to escape the police! Evie was almost sent packing by her uncle, and got saved with her quick thinking. I like Mabel. She stood on her own at last, and refused to keep dancing to Evie's tone after that arrest. It was about time, too!

Jericho told his story to Evie, and I felt sorry for him as well. I think he is falling for her. Sam likes her too. Poor guys! :wink:

Theta and Memphis are a cute pair! I liked it that they met at last! It turns out they both have the same dream! Not surprising since both are diviners. I do hope they will become a couple, though it won't be easy at their environment.

The author finally gave some background on Naughty John, and it wasn't a pretty picture! There were more murders. I hope he will be stopped before doing more evil!
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 10:01 I am now on pg 300, "A terrible choice". I can't stop reading! I hope the author won't leave us hanging at the end, just because it is the first book in the series.

Evie is acting pretty dumb and it gets worse. She is also quite selfish!

The guy in Memphis's vision is either Naughty John or the Grim Reaper, hard to tell at this point.

Apropos birds, a live crow follows Memphis around, another omen.

Poor kid indeed! A pity those idiots kids weren't punished for their dirty trick!

Maybe the author threw in the Ku Klux Klan as a red herring.

Later on we are told how Blind Bill lost his sight. I feel sorry for him.
Okay I just reached "A terrible choice" (page 342 on my kindle). It's a really good book! I really am enjoying it and I'm glad that we're buddy reading this one because I don't think I would have ever discovered this book if you didn't mention it, so thank you! :)

Yes, I wonder why that crow follows Memphis. I bet it has something to do with the vision he had when he tried to save his mother and it didn't work.

I know! I wonder what the kids thought once they found out what their little stunt caused - the death of their peer. I also wonder if that has any psychologically damage to any of them. They probably would've heard the news very quickly and they probably made of a pact to never mention it again, but I can only imagine how much inner torture, at least one of them, would face.

That's a good point - maybe the Ku Klux Klan doesn't have a real significance to what Naughty John is doing.

Poor Blind Bill - I don't think he killed anyone, and it's just terrible that he lost his sight because of some accusations made and without any real proof.
gali wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 10:01 Spoilers:
Isiah turned out to be one of the diviners as well!

Evie is irritating! She disobeyed her uncle and went to a night club with Mabel, Henry, and Theta, refused to leave when Mabel asked her to. Both of them were arrested when the police raided the place. Sam's talent sure helped him to escape the police! Evie was almost sent packing by her uncle, and got saved with her quick thinking. I like Mabel. She stood on her own at last, and refused to keep dancing to Evie's tone after that arrest. It was about time, too!

Jericho told his story to Evie, and I felt sorry for him as well. I think he is falling for her. Sam likes her too. Poor guys! :wink:

Theta and Memphis are a cute pair! I liked it that they met at last! It turns out they both have the same dream! Not surprising since both are diviners. I do hope they will become a couple, though it won't be easy at their environment.

The author finally gave some background on Naughty John, and it wasn't a pretty picture! There were more murders. I hope he will be stopped before doing more evil!
I was wondering if Isaiah will be a diviner, so cool that he is! Does the author mention his age? I know he's Memphis's younger brother, and Memphis is what, 18? He does seem fairly young and young enough that Memphis doesn't want to talk about hooch/alcohol in front of him, but I can't picture how old he is. :eusa-think:

I felt sooo bad for Mabel. She always seem to get the worst of every situation. To be honest, I actually felt pretty vindicated when Evie was arrested, too, because it would've been terrible if Mabel got arrested and nobody else did. Gosh, if it wasn't for Evie's divining ability, she would've ended up back her parents. She is so frustrating sometimes. I'm hoping that now she is giving a second chance and has opened up to what she can to Will that maybe she'll start changing/maturing.

When Jericho shared his story, I also felt so bad for him and I just wanted to give him a hug! Oh yeah, him and Sam are definitely falling for Evie, and I agree, poor guys :lol: Wonder who she'll end up with... :eusa-think:

Theta and Memphis are super cute!! I knew he was going to meet someone at the club, since they were all there. I was crossing my fingers that it wasn't Evie and somehow he'd be added to the guys who are falling for this immature, ridiculous girl. So glad that's not the case! I'm really curious about that dream, though. Are Henry, Isaiah, and Evie having it too?

Yes, Naughty John. I feel his psychopathic ways were buried within him, on top of being an orphan. Not a very good combination. When we learned about Ida, Mary, and John and their interactions with each other at the Knowles' End, it gave me goosebumps. I kept screaming in my head for Ida to leave and forget about the mansion. It's not worth it! Of course she didn't and she ended up dying, but man, that's rough.

So, when I read about the seventh offering, Eugene's death, and how Naughty John took his feet, I was appalled and saddened. I think he was going to propose to his boyfriend, Edward, and now he will never get the chance to. Poor guy. :(

By the way, I have to say that I am loving how much background we are given about all these characters. It really makes me care about them and want to continue learning about them. Also, I love how the author is able to jump from one perspective to the next within the same page so smoothly. It's very easy to picture what's happening and be excited for what's to come at the same time!

Where are you in the book now?
Heidi

Return to “Read-a-long forum”