Read-A-Long of "The Diviners" by Libba Bray

Members of the forum read the same book at the same time and discuss it.
Warning: discussions here will contain spoilers.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Read-A-Long of the "The Diviners" by Libba Bray

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 14:43
gali wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 10:01 I am now on pg 300, "A terrible choice". I can't stop reading! I hope the author won't leave us hanging at the end, just because it is the first book in the series.

Evie is acting pretty dumb and it gets worse. She is also quite selfish!

The guy in Memphis's vision is either Naughty John or the Grim Reaper, hard to tell at this point.

Apropos birds, a live crow follows Memphis around, another omen.

Poor kid indeed! A pity those idiots kids weren't punished for their dirty trick!

Maybe the author threw in the Ku Klux Klan as a red herring.

Later on we are told how Blind Bill lost his sight. I feel sorry for him.
Okay I just reached "A terrible choice" (page 342 on my kindle). It's a really good book! I really am enjoying it and I'm glad that we're buddy reading this one because I don't think I would have ever discovered this book if you didn't mention it, so thank you! :)

Yes, I wonder why that crow follows Memphis. I bet it has something to do with the vision he had when he tried to save his mother and it didn't work.

I know! I wonder what the kids thought once they found out what their little stunt caused - the death of their peer. I also wonder if that has any psychologically damage to any of them. They probably would've heard the news very quickly and they probably made of a pact to never mention it again, but I can only imagine how much inner torture, at least one of them, would face.

That's a good point - maybe the Ku Klux Klan doesn't have a real significance to what Naughty John is doing.

Poor Blind Bill - I don't think he killed anyone, and it's just terrible that he lost his sight because of some accusations made and without any real proof.
gali wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 10:01 Spoilers:
Isiah turned out to be one of the diviners as well!

Evie is irritating! She disobeyed her uncle and went to a night club with Mabel, Henry, and Theta, refused to leave when Mabel asked her to. Both of them were arrested when the police raided the place. Sam's talent sure helped him to escape the police! Evie was almost sent packing by her uncle, and got saved with her quick thinking. I like Mabel. She stood on her own at last, and refused to keep dancing to Evie's tone after that arrest. It was about time, too!

Jericho told his story to Evie, and I felt sorry for him as well. I think he is falling for her. Sam likes her too. Poor guys! :wink:

Theta and Memphis are a cute pair! I liked it that they met at last! It turns out they both have the same dream! Not surprising since both are diviners. I do hope they will become a couple, though it won't be easy at their environment.

The author finally gave some background on Naughty John, and it wasn't a pretty picture! There were more murders. I hope he will be stopped before doing more evil!
I was wondering if Isaiah will be a diviner, so cool that he is! Does the author mention his age? I know he's Memphis's younger brother, and Memphis is what, 18? He does seem fairly young and young enough that Memphis doesn't want to talk about hooch/alcohol in front of him, but I can't picture how old he is. :eusa-think:

I felt sooo bad for Mabel. She always seem to get the worst of every situation. To be honest, I actually felt pretty vindicated when Evie was arrested, too, because it would've been terrible if Mabel got arrested and nobody else did. Gosh, if it wasn't for Evie's divining ability, she would've ended up back her parents. She is so frustrating sometimes. I'm hoping that now she is giving a second chance and has opened up to what she can to Will that maybe she'll start changing/maturing.

When Jericho shared his story, I also felt so bad for him and I just wanted to give him a hug! Oh yeah, him and Sam are definitely falling for Evie, and I agree, poor guys :lol: Wonder who she'll end up with... :eusa-think:

Theta and Memphis are super cute!! I knew he was going to meet someone at the club, since they were all there. I was crossing my fingers that it wasn't Evie and somehow he'd be added to the guys who are falling for this immature, ridiculous girl. So glad that's not the case! I'm really curious about that dream, though. Are Henry, Isaiah, and Evie having it too?

Yes, Naughty John. I feel his psychopathic ways were buried within him, on top of being an orphan. Not a very good combination. When we learned about Ida, Mary, and John and their interactions with each other at the Knowles' End, it gave me goosebumps. I kept screaming in my head for Ida to leave and forget about the mansion. It's not worth it! Of course she didn't and she ended up dying, but man, that's rough.

So, when I read about the seventh offering, Eugene's death, and how Naughty John took his feet, I was appalled and saddened. I think he was going to propose to his boyfriend, Edward, and now he will never get the chance to. Poor guy. :(

By the way, I have to say that I am loving how much background we are given about all these characters. It really makes me care about them and want to continue learning about them. Also, I love how the author is able to jump from one perspective to the next within the same page so smoothly. It's very easy to picture what's happening and be excited for what's to come at the same time!

Where are you in the book now?
I am now on page 460, "Solomon comet".

I am so glad you like the book. It was on my list more than a year. I needed a push to start it, so thank you. :)

The author doesn't mention those kids again. Anyway, they belong to a street gang, so I don't think the death of their friend affected them that much. I don't think they liked him very much.

I believe Isaiah is 8 years old.

Henry and Evie are having similar dream and Isaiah has some visions about it.

The history of Ida, Mary, and Jone was enlightening. Later we learn more about Mary, but I will wait for you to reach that part. I felt bad for Ida as well. The two took advantage of her innocence.

I also love that the characters are complex and that we learn so much about them. A good story creates an emotional connection and this story indeed managed that admirably. I agree that the author did an excellent job portraying and humanizing the characters. The book was better than I expected, and the narrative that made me feel as though I was right there alongside the characters. I wonder how the story will end!

Spoilers ahead:
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
It turns out the Ku Klux Klan does have a significance and they support the murders.

It also turns out Blind Bill isn't that innocent. The way he treated Memphis's brother, Isiah, was terrible. I think Bill lost his sight after her was forced to overuse his powers.

Jericho shared more of his story later, and it was a bit too much. It did stretch the credibility.

Have you reached the part of the reading of the ring, and the scene where Theta were alone at the night club? Both were breathtaking scenes.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali

Post by gali »

I finished the book. I will wait for you to finish it before commenting.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 09:54

I am so glad you like the book. It was on my list more than a year. I needed a push to start it, so thank you. :)

The author doesn't mention those kids again. Anyway, they belong to a street gang, so I don't think the death of their friend affected them that much. I don't think they liked him very much.

The history of Ida, Mary, and Jone was enlightening. Later we learn more about Mary, but I will wait for you to reach that part. I felt bad for Ida as well. The two took advantage of her innocence.

I also love that the characters are complex and that we learn so much about them. A good story creates an emotional connection and this story indeed managed that admirably. I agree that the author did an excellent job portraying and humanizing the characters. The book was better than I expected, and the narrative that made me feel as though I was right there alongside the characters. I wonder how the story will end!

Spoilers ahead:

It turns out the Ku Klux Klan does have a significance and they support the murders.

It also turns out Blind Bill isn't that innocent. The way he treated Memphis's brother, Isiah, was terrible. I think Bill lost his sight after her was forced to overuse his powers.

Jericho shared more of his story later, and it was a bit too much. It did stretch the credibility.

Have you reached the part of the reading of the ring, and the scene where Theta were alone at the night club? Both were breathtaking scenes.
Haha, no worries! It's really a fun read. :)

Yes, I guess that's a good point that the kids were part of a gang, so maybe they wouldn't be as affected by the child's death.

I thought Isaiah was around that age. Maybe the author mentioned it, and I just forgot. :)

So, I think I missed some of the other Ku Klux Klan information. Was it the same as the Brethren?

Okay, so I am at page 513, "Solomon's Comet" now, and oh boy, so much has happened! Poor Mary! At first, I thought, "okay, crazy lady. John is bad news and you stay away from. Also, there is no way he loved, or still loves, you." I just couldn't believe she killed her husband and acted like it was no big deal. Then, when her final moment arrived and she was realized what a fool she has been, I felt so bad for her. Can't believe most of her life was being controlled by this one person :(

Oh my gosh! Blind Bill? What in the world? I did not see that coming. At first, I thought that maybe Naughty John was able to control his body and he wanted Isaiah's powers, but it looked like John was working on other plans, so like you said, Blind Bill doesn't seem so innocent.

Yeah, I found that whole half-human/half-robot thing kind of odd and out-of-place. Maybe it will come up more in the next book, but since apparently he's the only one alive, I'm not sure about that. So odd, and I agree, it stretched credibility.

Yes! Both reading the ring scene and Theta in the theater were so exciting! I really was hoping that Theta's wasn't able to die. Not only with all that she went through, but poor Memphis - losing his best friend and if he lost Theta on top of everything else? It would've been too much.

I was somewhat relieved when Evie finally understood that she can't trust Woodhouse, the reporter. It took her longer than it probably should, but I'm glad that she opened her eyes to his untrustworthy character.

Can't believe I'm about to read the last stretch of the book!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 21:34 I finished the book. I will wait for you to finish it before commenting.
Whoa, nice! I plan to finish the book by tomorrow. I'm nearing the end, and I do want to find out how the book ends. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 21:28
gali wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 09:54

Spoilers ahead:

Haha, no worries! It's really a fun read. :)

Yes, I guess that's a good point that the kids were part of a gang, so maybe they wouldn't be as affected by the child's death.

I thought Isaiah was around that age. Maybe the author mentioned it, and I just forgot. :)

So, I think I missed some of the other Ku Klux Klan information. Was it the same as the Brethren?

Okay, so I am at page 513, "Solomon's Comet" now, and oh boy, so much has happened! Poor Mary! At first, I thought, "okay, crazy lady. John is bad news and you stay away from. Also, there is no way he loved, or still loves, you." I just couldn't believe she killed her husband and acted like it was no big deal. Then, when her final moment arrived and she was realized what a fool she has been, I felt so bad for her. Can't believe most of her life was being controlled by this one person :(

Oh my gosh! Blind Bill? What in the world? I did not see that coming. At first, I thought that maybe Naughty John was able to control his body and he wanted Isaiah's powers, but it looked like John was working on other plans, so like you said, Blind Bill doesn't seem so innocent.

Yeah, I found that whole half-human/half-robot thing kind of odd and out-of-place. Maybe it will come up more in the next book, but since apparently he's the only one alive, I'm not sure about that. So odd, and I agree, it stretched credibility.

Yes! Both reading the ring scene and Theta in the theater were so exciting! I really was hoping that Theta's wasn't able to die. Not only with all that she went through, but poor Memphis - losing his best friend and if he lost Theta on top of everything else? It would've been too much.

I was somewhat relieved when Evie finally understood that she can't trust Woodhouse, the reporter. It took her longer than it probably should, but I'm glad that she opened her eyes to his untrustworthy character.

Can't believe I'm about to read the last stretch of the book!
The Ku Klux Klan and the Brethren are the same.

Mary was fanatic just as John and I felt she got her just deserts.

Bill was a disappointment. He above all people should have known better.

Evie didn't really learn her lesson and her carve for attention got the better for her.
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 21:29
gali wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 21:34 I finished the book. I will wait for you to finish it before commenting.
Whoa, nice! I plan to finish the book by tomorrow. I'm nearing the end, and I do want to find out how the book ends. :)
Great! I will wait for you to finish it. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 22:50

Evie didn't really learn her lesson and her carve for attention got the better for her.
Ah, okay. That makes sense, then.

I don't know. I guess I interpreted Mary's realization at the end as John letting go of his hold on her. Maybe it was because she killed her husband so easily that I thought John was just possessing her in a way and at the end he didn't need her to be under his spell anymore.

Gosh, you're right. Evie hasn't learned!
Okay, so I'm done!

Evie as the eleventh offering did not really surprise me, but I'm glad it didn't work. I did find the wrap up of Naughty John a bit too easy and convenient, but I guess it worked. I wonder how big of a role James will play in the next book - Naughty John mentions him and Evie has that dream at the end where he speaks to her for the first time.

So about Evie...she doesn't learn. Can't believe (well, no, I can believe) that she told the reporters about her gift. What is wrong with her? Can't wait to see the repercussions of that.

I don't like Blind Bill at all and I don't like how he seemed to have changed so much compared to the beginning. However, I am glad to know that Isaiah is doing better. I wonder what Memphis's mom meant when she spoke to him in his last dream?

As a side note, I could have done without the scene of Addie cutting up a cat.

Wonder what Project Buffalo is? I also wonder who the man in the stovepipe man was? Is he Naughty John's father? Another Brethren member? Someone completely new?

Evie and Jericho...oh man. Too bad for Mabel, once again.

Can't believe we're done with the first one! It was really a fun read and I loved checking in with you while reading. It helped me stay focused and it helped me think about the book a bit more.

What were your overall impressions of The Diviners?
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 00:32

Ah, okay. That makes sense, then.

I don't know. I guess I interpreted Mary's realization at the end as John letting go of his hold on her. Maybe it was because she killed her husband so easily that I thought John was just possessing her in a way and at the end he didn't need her to be under his spell anymore.

Gosh, you're right. Evie hasn't learned!

Okay, so I'm done!

Evie as the eleventh offering did not really surprise me, but I'm glad it didn't work. I did find the wrap up of Naughty John a bit too easy and convenient, but I guess it worked. I wonder how big of a role James will play in the next book - Naughty John mentions him and Evie has that dream at the end where he speaks to her for the first time.

So about Evie...she doesn't learn. Can't believe (well, no, I can believe) that she told the reporters about her gift. What is wrong with her? Can't wait to see the repercussions of that.

I don't like Blind Bill at all and I don't like how he seemed to have changed so much compared to the beginning. However, I am glad to know that Isaiah is doing better. I wonder what Memphis's mom meant when she spoke to him in his last dream?

As a side note, I could have done without the scene of Addie cutting up a cat.

Wonder what Project Buffalo is? I also wonder who the man in the stovepipe man was? Is he Naughty John's father? Another Brethren member? Someone completely new?

Evie and Jericho...oh man. Too bad for Mabel, once again.

Can't believe we're done with the first one! It was really a fun read and I loved checking in with you while reading. It helped me stay focused and it helped me think about the book a bit more.

What were your overall impressions of The Diviners?
I am glad you enjoyed the book. I enjoyed our collective reading as well. :)

Evie was too much! I liked her at first, but she irritated me with her selfishness and thoughtlessness. She had her moments, but she has a lot of growth to do yet.Another thing that bothered me was her overuse of " pos-i-tute-ly". While it was cute at first, its overuse grated.

I also dislike Blind Bill! He was bad!!!!

As far as I get it, Project Buffalo gathered all the diviners and used them to its ends. Blind Bill was one of those men, and lost his sight as a result.

I don't know who is man in the stovepipe man either, but the second book probably tell us that.

I enjoyed the book very much and gave it 4 out of 4 stars. It was well written, well plotted, and kept me interested throughout the book. The pace of the story was slow at some points, but there was enough tension to lure you back into the story. The wrap up was indeed too easy, but it didn't bother me too much. There were a lot of unanswered questions, which will probably be answered in the second book.

Overall, I thought the plot was successful in propelling the story forward and I enjoyed the diversity of the characters. I also liked how the author put a lot of details into the characters and their personalities. The book was very atmospheric and I could imagine the setting and the period. The premise was brilliant, but the protagonist was lacking to put it gently.

Are you going to read the other books? I will probably read them, but right now I need a break from Evie. She was infuriatingly irritating! Btw, her nickname 'evil' suits her...
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 09:27

Evie was too much! I liked her at first, but she irritated me with her selfishness and thoughtlessness. She had her moments, but she has a lot of growth to do yet.Another thing that bothered me was her overuse of " pos-i-tute-ly". While it was cute at first, its overuse grated.

As far as I get it, Project Buffalo gathered all the diviners and used them to its ends. Blind Bill was one of those men, and lost his sight as a result.

I don't know who is man in the stovepipe man either, but the second book probably tell us that.

I enjoyed the book very much and gave it 4 out of 4 stars. It was well written, well plotted, and kept me interested throughout the book. The pace of the story was slow at some points, but there was enough tension to lure you back into the story. The wrap up was indeed too easy, but it didn't bother me too much. There were a lot of unanswered questions, which will probably be answered in the second book.

Overall, I thought the plot was successful in propelling the story forward and I enjoyed the diversity of the characters. I also liked how the author put a lot of details into the characters and their personalities. The book was very atmospheric and I could imagine the setting and the period. The premise was brilliant, but the protagonist was lacking to put it gently.

Are you going to read the other books? I will probably read them, but right now I need a break from Evie. She was infuriatingly irritating! Btw, her nickname 'evil' suits her...
Yes, she annoyed me too! Also, I thought "pos-i-tute-ly" was too much.

I will be curious to read more about Project Buffalo and the stovepipe man in the next book.

Your reflection is very similar to mine. I gave it a 4 out of 4 stars, too. The story was well-written and well-developed. I agree that there were slower parts, but the tension in other parts kept the story interesting and moving along. The ending gets to me a bit, but at the same time, I wouldn't have wanted one that dragged on forever, so maybe the author chose well.

I also enjoyed how much information we were given from each character; it made the plot even more exciting. Evie, I felt, was a weak protagonist, but maybe she'll grow more in the other books? Hopefully! Anyway, I also liked the diversity in characters and how they were connected to each other.

A break from Evie sounds good to me, but I would buddy read the other books with you if you'd like? I'm not picky when we would start, but would also understand if you wanted to read those on your own. No pressure either way :)

Yes, "evil" does suit her! I must admit every time Theta said it, I chuckled because I thought it was so fitting. :lol:
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 14:18
gali wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 09:27

Yes, she annoyed me too! Also, I thought "pos-i-tute-ly" was too much.

I will be curious to read more about Project Buffalo and the stovepipe man in the next book.

Your reflection is very similar to mine. I gave it a 4 out of 4 stars, too. The story was well-written and well-developed. I agree that there were slower parts, but the tension in other parts kept the story interesting and moving along. The ending gets to me a bit, but at the same time, I wouldn't have wanted one that dragged on forever, so maybe the author chose well.

I also enjoyed how much information we were given from each character; it made the plot even more exciting. Evie, I felt, was a weak protagonist, but maybe she'll grow more in the other books? Hopefully! Anyway, I also liked the diversity in characters and how they were connected to each other.

A break from Evie sounds good to me, but I would buddy read the other books with you if you'd like? I'm not picky when we would start, but would also understand if you wanted to read those on your own. No pressure either way :)

Yes, "evil" does suit her! I must admit every time Theta said it, I chuckled because I thought it was so fitting. :lol:
I do hope Evie will grow more in the other books!

I would be happy to read the other books with you. :)

Maybe next weekend, after we finish "Norma"?
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 15:25

Nice! :)

Starting the second one next weekend, after "Norma", sounds good to me!
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 16:42
gali wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 15:25

Nice! :)

Starting the second one next weekend, after "Norma", sounds good to me!
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
A retired Admin/Mod

kelcheri93
Currently Reading: Night Film
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelcheri93.html
Latest Review: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959) by David J Castello

Post by kelcheri93 »

I was not a member on the site when this read-a-long was going on, but I have recently read this book and I loved it! Evie is feisty, fun, and outgoing. I also loved the setting of the book.
gali

Post by gali »

kelcheri93 wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 13:12 I was not a member on the site when this read-a-long was going on, but I have recently read this book and I loved it! Evie is feisty, fun, and outgoing. I also loved the setting of the book.
Nice! I disliked Evie. Have you read the second book?
A retired Admin/Mod

kelcheri93
Currently Reading: Night Film
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelcheri93.html
Latest Review: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959) by David J Castello

Post by kelcheri93 »

If Evie were a real person that I encountered, I don’t see myself clicking with her well. She would be too overwhelming and she was shelfish. As a character, she kept the novel interesting. Who was your favorite character?

I have not read the second one yet. But I want to!!

Return to “Read-a-long forum”