Should there be an interactive version of this book?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Should there be an interactive version of this book?

Post by joycechitwa »

Toni The Superhero is targeted to children who are just learning how to read - probably in the range of 2 - 3 years old. There is a trend for books targeting this age group to be interactive so as to retain the interest and concentration of the children.

So for instance when Toni is doing dishes or rescuing that cat from a tree, there could be an extra fold on the page or sort of mini-windows that the child can open and close. These extra additions can have a "before" portion where dishes are undone, or the cat is on the tree, then an "after" portion with a clean sink or the cat safe. The "after" portion should be revealed after the child has interacted in some way with the page.

Wouldn't that draw the child in more?
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Actually, I think folds and tabs get in the way with children who are just learning to read. They can be more interested in playing with the page than learning to read the words. The only "interaction" a child needs with a picture book is a thoughtful adult who will read with them and engage them in a conversation about characters and pictures.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I love your idea of the before and after. It might not work for every activity, but I can see how it would work for most of them.
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:

Post by joycechitwa »

@kfwilson6 it's interesting to see how children take initiative to play around with the interactive aspects of the book in the process of learning whatever message the book is trying to pass across. But it's true, not all aspects would fit in the mold of "interactive".
Last edited by joycechitwa on 27 Jul 2018, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:

Post by joycechitwa »

@Dael Reader I do see your point about the children getting distracted. I'm not an early childhood expert or anything, my view stems from what I see when I visit the children's section of the library when I take my two infants to interact with the books there. Granted, they indulge more with the interactive books than just plain books. Whether that translates to actually grasping and recognizing the letters and words, I that's up for discussion.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I think this option would increase the interest of children in this book. When they will the first bad condition and then a good condition. Because children ask a lot of questions while reading such books. So this portion will satisfy their curiosity.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

joycechitwa wrote: โ†‘27 Jul 2018, 17:08 @Dael Reader I do see your point about the children getting distracted. I'm not an early childhood expert or anything, my view stems from what I see when I visit the children's section of the library when I take my two infants to interact with the books there. Granted, they indulge more with the interactive books than just plain books. Whether that translates to actually grasping and recognizing the letters and words, I that's up for discussion.
I don't think that interactive portion would distract children from reading. Rather I think it will make the read memorable for them.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I love the idea of having an interactive portion. It would be an addition which draws the children even more to the book, and reinforces the lessons and positive messages conveyed within the text in a better mode.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

I just went to buy a couple of books for a two-year-old and I was amused by the various interactive methods used. Some of them were sounds by pushing a button, others had textures like a soft piece for a duck's feathers. Lots of things to touch and do to hold the child's interest.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Dael Reader wrote: โ†‘27 Jul 2018, 07:05
Actually, I think folds and tabs get in the way with children who are just learning to read. They can be more interested in playing with the page than learning to read the words. The only "interaction" a child needs with a picture book is a thoughtful adult who will read with them and engage them in a conversation about characters and pictures.
I almost bought a book for a two-year-old yesterday with little cupcakes on the cover. But the cupcakes were thick foam pieces that stuck out from the pages. I chose not to buy it because I was worried the two-year-old would pull them off! I liked that they were textured and 3-D making them a little more interesting, but that just seemed like asking for trouble.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

kfwilson6 wrote: โ†‘29 Jul 2018, 14:04
I almost bought a book for a two-year-old yesterday with little cupcakes on the cover. But the cupcakes were thick foam pieces that stuck out from the pages. I chose not to buy it because I was worried the two-year-old would pull them off! I liked that they were textured and 3-D making them a little more interesting, but that just seemed like asking for trouble.
Dael Reader wrote:Exactly!
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

Actually I love your before and after idea. Yes it could work miracles if at all it was included in the book. It could make the book more enchanting.
โ€œA reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.โ€ โ€“ George R.R. Martin.
Carly-maricque
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-maricque.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Carly-maricque »

For a fun read, interactive flaps in the book would be awesome for young children! However, if you want to use this book to teach children to read (I am a kindergarten teacher) the flaps would be distracting and take away from your purpose. Therefore, it all depends on what your purpose is!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Carly-maricque wrote: โ†‘30 Jul 2018, 14:33 For a fun read, interactive flaps in the book would be awesome for young children! However, if you want to use this book to teach children to read (I am a kindergarten teacher) the flaps would be distracting and take away from your purpose. Therefore, it all depends on what your purpose is!
This book can be made interactive. If we divide the book for the age group 1 to 4. Then for the age group of 3 and 4, we can easily use interactive version. Because at this age children start understanding about the concepts.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Dael Reader wrote: โ†‘29 Jul 2018, 14:46
kfwilson6 wrote: โ†‘29 Jul 2018, 14:04
Dael Reader wrote:Exactly!
1 or 2 years old children have little to do with interactive version. Because they do not understand the message at it core. Yes elder one will go well with this. Because they frequently ask questions and respond to every new thing.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•

Return to โ€œDiscuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Baseโ€