Should there be an interactive version of this book?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Adediran Israel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adediran-israel.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re: Should there be an interactive version of this book?

Post by Adediran Israel »

If this book is going to have an interactive session then it is well suited to them in the school because there is no way age 2-3 years age group will get themselves involve in meaningful interactive session.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Adediran Israel wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 11:32 If this book is going to have an interactive session then it is well suited to them in the school because there is no way age 2-3 years age group will get themselves involve in meaningful interactive session.
I don't think most children would be looking at this book alone. It is targeted at such a young age group, I'm sure it is intended to be read by an adult with the child. I imagine the interactions would be minimal such as opening a flap or petting the fur on a cat. Authors have found many simple ways to add interaction to books. I picked up one the other day that had a duck and you could rub its feathers and a lizard and you could touch its scaly skin. It was simple but fun for children.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

joycechitwa wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 02:45 Toni The Superhero is targeted to children who are just learning how to read - probably in the range of 2 - 3 years old. There is a trend for books targeting this age group to be interactive so as to retain the interest and concentration of the children.

So for instance when Toni is doing dishes or rescuing that cat from a tree, there could be an extra fold on the page or sort of mini-windows that the child can open and close. These extra additions can have a "before" portion where dishes are undone, or the cat is on the tree, then an "after" portion with a clean sink or the cat safe. The "after" portion should be revealed after the child has interacted in some way with the page.

Wouldn't that draw the child in more?
Yes, this was the very first thought that crossed my mind while reading the book. To engage the young readers there is nothing better than an interaction section. I even mentioned this in my review. Your idea of including the 'before' vs 'after' scenario soumds very interesting and will be perfectly suitable for the young children,I believe.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

I think interactive elements would be a great inclusion! I remember that when I was young, I really loved books that I could interact with. Different textures and flaps to flip could help to engage young readers.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I agree! Books that provide opportunity for interaction always seem to be the favorites for young children. With an adult's involvement, more teaching/training/discussion could be stimulated through this format. At first, it might just serve as entertainment, but upon multiple readings, more of the processing could take place.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I think it would keep a child's attention if it was interactive. I also think that it would be great idea to have the interactive also teach the child that is reading the book something as well. That way it is like a two in one. It keeps their attention and teaches them something.
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

The age bracket targeted by the book wouldn't really appreciate or understand the concept of an interactive session. It would just be more work on the parents.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

I remember reading a lot of interactive books when I was little. They didn't distract me. In fact, they started my love for books. It makes it fun for the kids. It keeps them interested. Making this book interactive is not a bad idea.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
simplymica26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplymica26.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by simplymica26 »

I love interactive book! Even I'm at my age, I still have fun reading on it. And I know kids will enjoy it too!
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Yes there should be an interactive version of the book for the children. Also I will recommend this book should be in the form of a movie to be more amazing.
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

I know when I was younger I always gravitated towards the books that had fold-outs or things I could play with. This question also reminded me of leapfrog, a system I had when I was younger that would read the words to me when I pointed to it with a stylus. The system also had games and it made reading really fun for me. I think an important goal for young children is ensuring that they are calm and entertained while reading, to avoid frustration.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

The illustrations and drawing in the book are to me interactive. They best pass the message home to children. Most children I know of get amused by pieces of artistry.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

An interactive version will need an age adjustment to be made. Maybe the author should do two versions, an original version and an interactive version. This will certainly make the book more interesting.
PeaceLoveNature44
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Cows I Have Known
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peacelovenature44.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by PeaceLoveNature44 »

Dael Reader wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 07:05
Actually, I think folds and tabs get in the way with children who are just learning to read. They can be more interested in playing with the page than learning to read the words. The only "interaction" a child needs with a picture book is a thoughtful adult who will read with them and engage them in a conversation about characters and pictures.
I agree with you. Also, the book is simple, and the adult reading can make it fun. It's short and sweet to keep the childs attention. Illustrations are great as well ro help them stay focused.
“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

I'm not sure if there should be an interactive version of the book. It might distract the kid from reading. Or if they start to love interactive version of books, they might end up disliking traditional books. :no-spoil: Just the illustrations should be fine :)

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”