Use of Questions

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Re: Use of Questions

Post by meadhbh »

I think the point of this book is to teach reading, rather than any specific message or talking point
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

Kibetious wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 08:31 Reading this book, one can realize that there are quite a number of lessons to be drawn from it. However, these lessons may prove hard to point out for the kids. Should there be a section where the reader is asked to point out lessons learned or perhaps, in the end, asked whether Toni is a superhero and give reasons for the answer?
Would like to hear get comments on this.
Not really. If a parent is with the child he or she could do it by themselves. And if the child is reading alone the wouldn't pay much attention to it.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Larry_Moen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Larry_Moen »

I think it could use more direction in the points your trying to make
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

I think this would be awesome. Parents should interact with their kids in regards to reading because it helps with their comprehension of the story. I think adding questions to the end of the book would facilitate with this and make it easier for the child and the parent.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Yeah it's right.
There should be a section at the point of special lines of story to make it meaningful.
If there is not a section included in the story at each specific point, the reader will continue to read without diverting his/her concentration.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

Questions aren't captured in the book but I'm opined that would be an excellent addition. It would boost children memory of that which has already been learnt. Children learn faster through questions and answers.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Having a simple question like 'do you like.... ' at the end of some activities could probably make the read more engaging but adding a section asking what the reader learnt may dampen the upbeat mood of the book!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I think that would be an unnecessary addition as the book is meant to be a fun way for parents to teach their kids to read. Lessons learnt should be left upto individual parents.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

kfwilson6 wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 14:13 I think the lessons are meant to be subtle. Sort of a subliminal messaging type of thing, like when a character in a movie drinks a coke, you may not realize later what made you want a coke, but it was that image of it on the screen. It's not a right in your face sort of lesson. I like it without the questions. Questions can be added by the parent during shared reading time.
I agree. Since this is a book for young children learning to read I don't think they need big discussion questions. It is those subtle messages that are going to stick in their forming mind.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

Yes such a session would be helpful especially for children.
Braunsucre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braunsucre.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Braunsucre »

I think questions for discussions would be unnecessary for a book such as this. Most would simply read it for fun.
Mumanyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumanyi.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by Mumanyi »

Yes adding questions at the end would be a good idea but also, I would suggest that the author includes those questions as part of the story to engage the child and the parent or supervised for that matter.
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

I work in education and I ultimately think a good parent or educator should know how to spot and utilise the teaching opportunities without a prompt, but for those who are just starting to read with children I like the idea of a list as an appendix. It would not hurt; those who do not like the idea could of course simply ignore it.
Kgaelsdottir
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kgaelsdottir.html
Latest Review: Final Report by Jeff Shear

Post by Kgaelsdottir »

Kibetious wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 08:31 Reading this book, one can realize that there are quite a number of lessons to be drawn from it. However, these lessons may prove hard to point out for the kids. Should there be a section where the reader is asked to point out lessons learned or perhaps, in the end, asked whether Toni is a superhero and give reasons for the answer?
Would like to hear get comments on this.
I know some authors provide a kind of "study guide" if their point is to be instructive; that seems like it might help here. But then, too, sometimes those who aren't the writer can come up with better questions--as there aren't so many preconceived notions by the author?
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

At this age of reader I think formal questions are not needed. If the child has questions or if the parents want to emphasize something, that is fine but this is not a school class . Formal questions would take away from enjoying the story.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”