Contribution to Diversity

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Re: Contribution to Diversity

Post by Mercelle »

When I noticed that the book's cover contained an illustration of a person of color, my curiosity heightened, and I couldn't wait to lay eyes on its contents. In that light, Toni being a person of color will encourage children to play well with each other.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

Diversity in a children's book is wonderful. This book will show others to not be afraid or to treat others differently just because they don't look the same as you. Prejudice is a learned trait. Reading books like this to children is a good way parents can show children what it means to accept others. Parents and adults are the building blocks to keeping children open to diversity.
Mac :techie-reference:
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

It is lovely to see black and white kids incorporated into the book. That surely aided its diversity and acceptance across the racial divide.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

Allyseria wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 19:17
ereason wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 05:22 I noticed that Toni had all sorts of friends, boys, girls, diverse cultures, and also that it wasn't just Mum=chores, friends=fun. I don't think very young children will be conscious of the message, but it will (subtly, as you say) show them that friends don't have to be identical. It turns it into a non-issue before they're old to realise that once upon a time it may have been an issue.
This is exactly what I thought! I think the book is great in this aspect and I wish that more children books would do the same. I have great hopes for the next book in the series :D
I'm also anxious for the next one.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

Recognition of black character surely is a recognition of equality of all races. Whites and blacks are all equal.
Mee_maw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mee-maw.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Mee_maw »

It's the first time I have considered the children's ethnicities. The author has done a good job showing that people of all racial backgrounds matter.
kelvinmwaniki17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinmwaniki17.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by kelvinmwaniki17 »

Mee_maw wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 11:18 It's the first time I have considered the children's ethnicities. The author has done a good job showing that people of all racial backgrounds matter.
I agree with your sentiments
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

David Horta Alonso wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 13:10 It is lovely to see black and white kids incorporated into the book. That surely aided its diversity and acceptance across the racial divide.
I think so too.
Babarino
Currently Reading: Factory Man
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babarino.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Babarino »

It is wonderful to have a protagonist in a children’s book that isn’t white. All children deserve to have a character that they can identify with.
palmerNgozi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palmerngozi.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by palmerNgozi »

This book moderately illustrates that social inclusion irrespective of race is of high relevance, well racism can be learnt it can be imbibed, we should rather learn to accept anyone irrespective of skin color and others.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
VJohnson0615
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vjohnson0615.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by VJohnson0615 »

I like that the book celebrates diversity. My children are in the demographic for this book. I don’t necessarily believe they’ll realize the children have different ethnicities, but it helps normalize inclusion. It’s important to me that they be accepting of everyone, and this book helps demonstrate that to them.
SMwathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smwathi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by SMwathi »

The author aimed at creating cohesion with people of different diversities despite the indifference that exist between us.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Even though diversity and social inclusion are non issues to the book's target age, parents can use it to reinforce the same as they read the story to the children.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Yerenzhu
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yerenzhu.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Yerenzhu »

The main protagonist is an African-American, sure that is fine. No doubt about that. If it is appealing to a younger audience, most children do not see color or race they just see someone that looks "cool" and looks to them because they want to be like them. I don't think the color of the skin that Toni is matters, I think it is the idea and what Toni practices and beliefs matters. As long as they are a good role model for children, it doesn't matter if Toni is black, brown, white, or purple.

I understand what you're saying though, usually, it is portrayed with a white person, and you're right. There are not enough African-American protagonists out there.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I was very happy that diversity was a central part of the book as children grow up imitating what they see around them. If they learn from an early age to be tolerant and accepting of others, they will always keep those lessons in mind.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”