Toni's dislikes

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Re: Toni's dislikes

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Dael Reader wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 20:29 No. I think one of the great things about this book is that is shows children that they can "like" (enjoy or have fun with) activities that might not seem so likable--such as dusting and sleeping. Kids have no problem articulating what they don't like. And there are plenty of TV shows, books, and other forms of entertainment to give kids the idea that washing dishes. Toni the Superhero sets a subtle example that every activity can be enjoyable if it helps someone else--and you do it with a smile!
Interesting point. Toni performs the simple chores very diligently and develop interest in those tasks from which children usually abstain.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

PABS wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 19:18 This is an interesting question. Since the author's goal is to teach, juxtaposing "I like" and "I don't like" might have been useful.

How difficult to be a writer, especially of children's books, no? There are so many things to consider and prioritize. I'm interested to read future books to see the direction the author takes.
In next books the author will definitely add some new things in the book, like she is going to write about veggies. And perhaps more in next books.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

kdstrack wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 16:40 Some of the likes already imply a dislike. Toni likes to dust (he dislikes a messy room). I wouldn't mind seeing some dislikes. I believe in trying to prepare children for the real world. The important thing is their attitude. "Toni dislikes a messy room. Toni likes to dust."
Yes some of the likes and dislikes complement each other. Maybe in next books we see some new hobbies of Toni.

📕📖📰📓📕
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Dael Reader wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 20:29 No. I think one of the great things about this book is that is shows children that they can "like" (enjoy or have fun with) activities that might not seem so likable--such as dusting and sleeping. Kids have no problem articulating what they don't like. And there are plenty of TV shows, books, and other forms of entertainment to give kids the idea that washing dishes. Toni the Superhero sets a subtle example that every activity can be enjoyable if it helps someone else--and you do it with a smile!
I agree that children already know how to articulate their dislikes. The word, no, is one of the first words children learn. I see nothing wrong with there being no dislikes in this book.

Also, it was the author’s intention to be repetitive. Repetition provides children the practice they need to learn new skills. It also helps to improve speed, which can increase confidence, which promotes the desire to continue reading and learning.

Sure, the next book can introduce a bit more variety in the words and phrases being repeated, but I don’t think it’s necessary in the first book.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 13:26 The author has included only "likes" about the Toni's character. Do you think she ( the author) should have included "dislikes" as well to give a more thorough look of Toni's personality?
I think the author was trying to be positive throughout the book. I don't know that children will sit around wondering what his dislikes were and why they weren't included in the book. Sure it might have given him a more relate-able appeal, but he's supposed to be a superhero right?
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Chandler_Greg
Currently Reading: Beneath the Kauri Tree
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandler-greg.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Chandler_Greg »

I agree with the several posts that prefer to keep the tone positive and with those that prefer to keep the reading level simple. By always starting with the same phrase, the author allows the young readers to quickly be able to "read" the book. They know each sentence starts with Toni likes, and the action can be determined from the visual clues in the pictures.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Excellent points. I love that you emphasized that he helped with a smile. Hopefully children will learn that helping others is a reward in itself even if there is no other personal gain.

I wonder how you all feel about the idea of an allowance. Should children be taught to help around the house and learn to take enjoyment from helping others, having their stuff clean and neat, and knowing their parents are happy with them, or should they receive that little bit of compensation?
I think allowances can help teach children other lessons like the value of money and budgeting to a very limited extent. Maybe not all chores are worthy of an allowance? For instance, cleaning one's own room, putting one's toys away, and such that involve the child's own belongings are granted an allowance while activities that help others with their things or that are shared by the household are allowance worthy?
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

kdstrack wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 16:40 Some of the likes already imply a dislike. Toni likes to dust (he dislikes a messy room). I wouldn't mind seeing some dislikes. I believe in trying to prepare children for the real world. The important thing is their attitude. "Toni dislikes a messy room. Toni likes to dust."
Attitude is definitely key. I was pretty against adding the dislikes, but I really like your take on it. If done carefully, dislikes could have been presented in a positive, encouraging manner that still guides Toni toward the right activities.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

Yes, including Toni'so dislikes would have made it more real.The truth is that, children don't like everything.They do have dislikes.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Nma26 wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 07:11 Yes, including Toni'so dislikes would have made it more real.The truth is that, children don't like everything.They do have dislikes.
Of course they HAVE dislikes. I think a lot of the respondents to this question are hoping to guide children to have a positive attitude about things. Even realizing they WON'T like everything, we want children to be encouraged to look at things in a certain way. Or to have dislikes that we want them to have. Such as disliking a messy bedroom! But to me it is better to say that Toni likes to have a clean bedroom, rather than Toni dislikes having a messy bedroom.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by SparklesonPages »

This is a valid question and I agree with others, the balance of likes and dislikes may have created a more developed character. Is it absolutely needed though? The answer to me is a resounding no. The plot is simple enough and gets the point across as is.
MishM1
Favorite Book: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Currently Reading: Five Knocks
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishm1.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by MishM1 »

kfwilson6 wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 12:59 maybe including his dislikes seems too negative? Just a thought. It's probably best to use as many positive words with children as possible and you wouldn't want to alienate parents by saying Toni dislikes something their children like or they want their children to like.

What do you think some dislikes would be that might be acceptable to parents?
I agree with this. It's also necessary to consider the complexity of the language used to express dislikes.
The aim of the book is to reinforce positive attributes. Children instinctively know how to express displeasure that's why they cry and throw tantrums, its necessary to reinforce that it's okay to like things that would typically be considered "boring" things or "chores". Why not associate helpfulness with being a superhero?
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Nma26 wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 07:11 Yes, including Toni'so dislikes would have made it more real.The truth is that, children don't like everything.They do have dislikes.
Yes , it is quite real that children have dislikes. But Toni is super hero of this so we can use these dislikes in a positive way like "Toni dislikes fighting." So children like fighting will learn from this this line.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

SparklesonPages wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 08:17 This is a valid question and I agree with others, the balance of likes and dislikes may have created a more developed character. Is it absolutely needed though? The answer to me is a resounding no. The plot is simple enough and gets the point across as is.
Yes it gives a more balanced look to characters. And the author can add in next stages of the book, when children move towards learning a bit more complex thoughts.

📕📖📰📓📕
Oscar Osman
Currently Reading: Winning the war on cancer
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oscar-osman.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Oscar Osman »

Dislikes will slow the flow of a story.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”