Toni's dislikes

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Re: Toni's dislikes

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

TaaraLynn wrote: โ†‘18 Jul 2018, 17:51 When I was a nanny, I tried my best to be as positive as possible. Which I feel like enhanced their thought process, in feeling like they could do whatever they set their mind to. If they brought up their dislikes or anything like that, we would discuss it and try to turn into a positive or do something they enjoyed. Of course, it's important to know both sides, but since I knew what they enjoyed or liked, why stew in their dislikes? :eusa-think:
You did absolutely right by inculcating positivity in children. You are right children need it very much. :)
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

listing Tony likes obliges the author to a corresponding duty to mention his dislikes. That would have brought out his real personality.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

kandscreeley wrote: โ†‘17 Jul 2018, 13:07 I think it could have been a good way to introduce another sentence into the mix without making the book too much more difficult. However, maybe in future books, we'll learn more about Toni and his dislikes. I know she's planning one on vegetables. I'm sure there will be veggies he doesn't like.
Oh, it's a good news. I hope, the next installment will more elaborate Toni's personality.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Jenndaviskidmin10 wrote: โ†‘04 Jul 2018, 14:39 I wouldn't mind another book with dislikes, but I think dislikes would mess with the flow of the book.
Of coarse, this step can be postponed for the next books of this series.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

kfwilson6 wrote: โ†‘03 Jul 2018, 12:59 maybe including his dislikes seems too negative? Just a thought. It's probably best to use as many positive words with children as possible and you wouldn't want to alienate parents by saying Toni dislikes something their children like or they want their children to like.

What do you think some dislikes would be that might be acceptable to parents?
I agree. When children are so young, the world is full of possibilities. They can be anything and form an interest in just about anything. So, it's best not to already deter that by giving their impressionable minds ideas of what to dislike.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Jenndaviskidmin10 wrote: โ†‘04 Jul 2018, 14:39 I wouldn't mind another book with dislikes, but I think dislikes would mess with the flow of the book.
Well, the author can add this new dimension of Toni's personality in next installments.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

pricklypurple wrote: โ†‘22 Jul 2018, 07:42
kfwilson6 wrote: โ†‘03 Jul 2018, 12:59 maybe including his dislikes seems too negative? Just a thought. It's probably best to use as many positive words with children as possible and you wouldn't want to alienate parents by saying Toni dislikes something their children like or they want their children to like.

What do you think some dislikes would be that might be acceptable to parents?
I agree. When children are so young, the world is full of possibilities. They can be anything and form an interest in just about anything. So, it's best not to already deter that by giving their impressionable minds ideas of what to dislike.
Toni is a role model character in the book for children . So he will not 'dislike' some thing which is good for children or would 'like' something which is dangerous for kids.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Zain A Blade wrote: โ†‘14 Jul 2018, 13:02 Including Toni's dislikes in the book would certainly have given the character more depth and made him more relatable. Perhaps this will be covered in the next series.
I hope so, the author will focus on this point in next books.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Sarah Tariq wrote: โ†‘02 Jul 2018, 13:26 The author has included only "likes" about the Toni's character. Do you think she ( the author) should have included "dislikes" as well to give a more thorough look of Toni's personality?
Yes, yes and yes! Sometimes what we dislike shows more about ourselves than what we like. I believe she could have included sentences like 'Toni dislikes fighting among friends', for example! Or would that be too negative to mention? Children often fight in school, so could they be made not to by citing Toni's example?
Lynsyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynsyn.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Lynsyn »

I do think that adding dislikes is a good way to tell the reader, the child in this case, to differentiate what is right and wrong. For example, "Toni dislikes fighting/violence/war," would make the child follow on what Toni says and will probably not fight amongst his other peers.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Shrabastee wrote: โ†‘23 Jul 2018, 03:05
Sarah Tariq wrote: โ†‘02 Jul 2018, 13:26 The author has included only "likes" about the Toni's character. Do you think she ( the author) should have included "dislikes" as well to give a more thorough look of Toni's personality?
Yes, yes and yes! Sometimes what we dislike shows more about ourselves than what we like. I believe she could have included sentences like 'Toni dislikes fighting among friends', for example! Or would that be too negative to mention? Children often fight in school, so could they be made not to by citing Toni's example?
Exactly, this is what I want to say. Adding dislikes doesn't mean to spell negativity rather it is to use as a positive theme to teach children.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Lynsyn wrote: โ†‘23 Jul 2018, 07:00 I do think that adding dislikes is a good way to tell the reader, the child in this case, to differentiate what is right and wrong. For example, "Toni dislikes fighting/violence/war," would make the child follow on what Toni says and will probably not fight amongst his other peers.
I 100% agree with you. Thanks for your comments. :)

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

stacie k wrote: โ†‘16 Jul 2018, 11:32
StarkidStarling wrote: โ†‘06 Jul 2018, 09:06 I think he could have disliked something to make him more interesting. "Toni dislikes cleaning his room, but he knows it's important to do."

It would help teach kids that sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.
I agree! I think that it's possible to add some dislikes without detracting from the positivity of the book. It depends on how they are presented. They could provide just as much opportunity for teaching and training as the likes.
Yes dislikes can be added to teach children from different angle. Like Toni dislikes fighting...or something like this, just to teach children that they should avoid these negative habits.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Lynsyn wrote: โ†‘23 Jul 2018, 07:00 I do think that adding dislikes is a good way to tell the reader, the child in this case, to differentiate what is right and wrong. For example, "Toni dislikes fighting/violence/war," would make the child follow on what Toni says and will probably not fight amongst his other peers.
I like the idea of pinpointing the differences between right and wrong. Maybe not using the particular word "dislike" but in another book maybe with different verbs.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

No. I think one of the great things about this book is that is shows children that they can "like" (enjoy or have fun with) activities that might not seem so likable--such as dusting and sleeping. Kids have no problem articulating what they don't like. And there are plenty of TV shows, books, and other forms of entertainment to give kids the idea that washing dishes. Toni the Superhero sets a subtle example that every activity can be enjoyable if it helps someone else--and you do it with a smile!

Return to โ€œDiscuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Baseโ€