Outdoor Play versus Electronics

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Beth KG
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: Practice the Jealous Arts
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Re: Outdoor Play versus Electronics

Post by Beth KG »

by Beth KG

I absolutely believe children spend too much time playing with electronics and not outdoors! Screen time of any kind should be limited, especially since children use electronics at school as well as at home.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I think this was a very good way of showing how disconnected children have become with outdoor activities these days. I remember my childhood, which wasn't that far back (mid 90s), and we used to love going out to play and it was a punishment for us to stay inside. These days, I see kids stuck to phone, laptops and other gaming devices and they seem so 'plugged out' from the world. I liked that the author decided to give Toni a different, and much needed, character sketch. The children will definitely learn something from Toni's behaviour.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

I think yes. The children will be inspired to engage themselves in outdoor activities by reading the book. Nowadays, most of the children waste their time with electronics, this book would really be helpful for them.
Shilpa Paul
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-paul.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Shilpa Paul »

I have a kid, age 9 and I make sure he spends very less time watching TV or playing on cell phone. Have always encouraged him go play with friends outdoor. Have engaged him in other activities leaving hardly any room for electronic. Have other kids glued to gadgets and hardly leaving their couch. This has a very bad impact on kids. Outdoor activities helps kids to make friends, communicate better, inculcates leadership skill and sportsman spirit.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

lavellan wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 17:29 I think that a balance must be achieved between traditional activities and electronics. Children shouldn't participate solely in one activity. Encouraging children to diversify their activities allows for them to grow into more balanced adults.
I share your opinion. Electronic should not be demonized. It's all in the balance.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

booklysis wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 09:51 I think yes. The children will be inspired to engage themselves in outdoor activities by reading the book. Nowadays, most of the children waste their time with electronics, this book would really be helpful for them.
Playing with electronics is not wasting time. Different generations have different ways to have fun. I believe there should be a balance between physical activity and electronics.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I think children spend too much time on electronics, but it is the “new normal” now. I hope this book might encourage others to go outdoors and enjoy physical activities. Electronics, in moderation, aren’t bad. It just needs to be balanced with other activities.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Children should learn electronics in addition to playing and singing music outside and electronics can be learned by physical activities. Learning of Electronics can play a vital role in making the life of children.
Michael Kevin
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-kevin.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Michael Kevin »

I totally agreed with you. Kids spent too much time on electronic devices which could be harmful to their physical and mental development. They should spend more time on reading books like Tony.
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

I do believe that it is wonderful what technology has brought to young children. They can learn so much about other cultures and people. But, I did like how Toni was not seen using electronics because I think children get enough exposure to that in their everyday life. They don't need to read about it as well.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

Today its a norm that children get introduced to televisions at an early age. There are television everywhere, in every home. I support children watching television as long as it serves the correct purpose.
Marcos Vera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcos-vera.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Marcos Vera »

Children of today like like electronic games. This is attributed to technological advancement. Moreover, times have changed. I would like to see children engaged in outdoor games as it is a form of exercise and enhances brain development.
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

I don't like to see children spending too much time on electronics, for a few reasons - sitting down all day does not help with fitness, electronics can easily get broken by some very young children, and outdoor play can be enjoyed regardless of income, rather than leading to a have vs have not scenario. That being said, some computer literacy is needed for university study and many workplaces, so some educational games do have some benefits.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

I prefer to see children play outside with their peers outdoor games rather than waste their time away engaged in electronics. Playing outside is a good form of exercise and helps in body development.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

kfwilson6 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 21:05 I noticed that other than playing and singing music, none of Toni's activities included any type of electronics. Toni was not listed as liking to watch tv :) Do you think children spend too much time using electronics instead of playing with more traditional toys like balls and jump ropes? Will this book help encourage children to play without electronics and enjoy outdoor activities? Toni was even reading his books outside.
I think that this book, despite appearing to be very simple, holds a great many instances of healthy lifestyle and diversity. Children do spend too much time indoors but it’s difficult nowadays. As a child I used to roam all over the place, but nowadays, children don’t stray much farther than the back garden.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”