Outdoor Play versus Electronics

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Keevan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keevan.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Re: Outdoor Play versus Electronics

Post by Keevan »

Mjgarrison wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 01:20 I definitely think children spend way to much time on electronics and I hope this story along with some encouragement from parents will get them outside doing more physical activities.
I definitely agree with you. Electronics are now the in thing for kids and going outside is not. Parents should definitely encourage their children to do more physical activities. This book is a great starting point for beginning such encouragement.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

There are some educational and social benefits to electronic use. However, too much time online can be distracting. I can see why a book that is promoting reading would not have electronics featured. Personally, when I am online a lot I know my reading time suffers greatly.
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

For me I think it all depends on the culture the parent(s)/guardian sets around the kid's environment. A balance should be reached so that kids do not engage in one type of play which might cause poor child development.
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

I liked how the author used that. We need our children playing outside! :)
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I try to limit my children's time on electronics. I am lucky in that they enjoy riding bikes and playing outside. I have family members who do not allow TV or video games in their homes, and their children either spend time playing outside or they play board games together as a family. I think this is a good thing, but also feel that some exposure to technology is also good for them. It's all about balance I think.
Lia4rmHtown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lia4rmhtown.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Lia4rmHtown »

I didn’t realize it before but it’s a great point of subject. Technology has taken over and books like this one will help get back to basics. This makes me excited to check out the next book in the series about vegetables.
Sdejardine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdejardine.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Sdejardine »

I do sometimes think kids spend too much time using electronics. But then again so did parents and adults. I think it may be a bit unrealistic that the child does not use them at all. Rather, I think the author has chose to focus on doing things other than use electronics.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

Yes it will encourage children to enjoy outdoor activities since Toni spent much of his time outdoors.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

We definitely live in a different age now. Even adults are constantly on their phones. Kids need to be encouraged to play outside, but parents should put down their phones and join them.
capricornius16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-capricornius16.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by capricornius16 »

Yes, it would encourage kids to go play outside.
Lia4rmHtown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lia4rmhtown.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Lia4rmHtown »

I definitely think this book will help kids get out if the annoying habits of electrical devices.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

Honestly I don't see electronics as being such a big negative in a child's life, but it depends entirely on the child and how much they use it. Yeah maybe they shouldn't be on them all day, watch R-rated movies, or play M-rated games, but something A LOOOOT of parents forget is that if they want their children to get off electronics, they should really get off of them and spend actual time with their children. I see people randomly tell my nephew he spends too long on electronics, sending him outside to play by himself. I'd be bored as heck with that too, especially on 90 degree days...

Also, electronics can be a very positive thing: games can de-stress and even teach, and YouTube can be great for wholesome entertainment just as well as it can lead to things kids really don't need to watch. Just like anything else, monitoring what children do is vital.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I agree most young people today spend too much time with electronics. Fresh air and nature is good for their minds and bodies.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
Raksha Rakhecha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raksha-rakhecha.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Raksha Rakhecha »

kfwilson6 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 21:05 I noticed that other than playing and singing music, none of Toni's activities included any type of electronics. Toni was not listed as liking to watch tv :) Do you think children spend too much time using electronics instead of playing with more traditional toys like balls and jump ropes? Will this book help encourage children to play without electronics and enjoy outdoor activities? Toni was even reading his books outside.
I think children spend too much time on electronics than playing outside. Their lives are stuck there without they can't even blink their eyes. Children should definitely spend more them doing activities. I hope this book encourages children to look around.
Wael El-Manzalawy
Favorite Book: Raven's Peak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wael-el-manzalawy.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Wael El-Manzalawy »

I think that children cannot abandon electronics completely but the book is sending a message that running, jumping, eating healthy food and sleeping are very important. We actually need to understand this message.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”