Should there be a dad?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Should there be a dad?

Post by Manang Muyang »

Toni is shown enjoying many activities with Mom and his friends. I appreciate that family and friendship are subtly depicted as joyful experiences. But hey, we don't see Dad!

Do you agree with me that a dad would be a wonderful addition to the story? Dads should be shown as interested in their children's everyday lives. Maybe Dad could join as the dishwasher. What a resounding message that would send!
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I agree it would be good to add Dad into one of them, but maybe this book is showing diversity with only one parent, or maybe Dad’s out at work.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

Technically, it doesn't mention mom either. We see two women. Either could be an aunt, sister, or babysitter. The dancer and dishwasher look like different people to me. Also, there's a tall man in the pool that could be dad.
AKWABS90
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AKWABS90 »

:D
it has to be a dad to make harmony and Negotiable family even though is out of work
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I think the assumption by most children would be that one of the women is the mom and one is the sister. I don't think it's a big deal that Toni wasn't shown with a character that would easily be assumed to be the dad. Base didn't particularly emphasize time with family. So it would be nice, but I don't think it's any major point right now after this first book. if we keep seeing Toni's "mom" in future installments and no father-figure, that may not be good or it may be Base's way of introducing modern families that don't have the typical mom-dad-kids structure.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

Miriam Molina wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 16:01 Toni is shown enjoying many activities with Mom and his friends. I appreciate that family and friendship are subtly depicted as joyful experiences. But hey, we don't see Dad!

Do you agree with me that a dad would be a wonderful addition to the story? Dads should be shown as interested in their children's everyday lives. Maybe Dad could join as the dishwasher. What a resounding message that would send!
Miriam, I think its a superb idea to have a dad that way Dad's might be more inclined to read this story to or with their toddlers.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Yes. A dad would be a great addition to the book. It would also be good to note exactly who each character pictured is (mom, sister, uncle or otherwise.) There are plenty of children's stories that depict single parents (nearly all Disney films and many fairy tales for instance). And there are also many books that depict dads as either absent (temporarily or permanently) or uninvolved with the child's life. I like to believe that most modern dads don't just go to work, earn money, and leave the moms to do the work of taking care of the kids. So any books that could show both moms and dads being involved with their children would be refreshing.
bobbiebryner
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobbiebryner.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by bobbiebryner »

I completely support father engagement in the family. For many kids, a two-parent family living in the same home is not a reality. I think that many children would not be able to relate to the "traditional nuclear family" idea. Those children may feel that they could be "superheroes" except that they don't have a mom and dad living together. I think that a dad or a male role model should be involved. There are so many single dads out there as well. Perhaps it would be good if Tony's dad was involved in the story but not necessarily depicted with mom. If each were depicted separately, then children could draw their own conclusions about whether they were together or not.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

It didn’t occur to me that a dad was missing but now you mention it...
I think the author was promising more books. Maybe a dad will appear in a later one. I like the idea of a nuclear family.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

:cooking: I like the idea of having dad around helping with the chores.

But the more I think about it, the more I am having a hard time trying to think of books for this age group that show a whole family who isn't made up animals. Lyle Crocodile, the Berenstain Bears, Peter Rabbit (wait, did Peter Rabbit have a father?), Curious George (he had the man in the yellow hat.

Maybe it is well past time that Dad is represented.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

While having a dad involved would be a good thing, that is just one side of the coin. Having Toni do the chores may be prepping him for the more typically male based stuff. His Dad might just be the main breadwinner or even a complete workaholic
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

This is the first time I realised the dad figure was missing! For the record, a dad and some siblings would make the story more interesting. Maybe even a pet (and showing pet-related chores). We don't know what the author intended so will have to wait to see where she goes next.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

FictionLover wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 19:15 :cooking: I like the idea of having dad around helping with the chores.

But the more I think about it, the more I am having a hard time trying to think of books for this age group that show a whole family who isn't made up animals. Lyle Crocodile, the Berenstain Bears, Peter Rabbit (wait, did Peter Rabbit have a father?), Curious George (he had the man in the yellow hat.

You’re absolutely right. Kanga in Winnie The Pooh was a single parent too.
Mind you, stats say that in the UK, one quarter of families are now single parent, so it may hurt those children who feel they should be aspiring to something that’s beyond their control. Also single dad families are very poorly represented, though there is Spike and his son in the old Tom and Jerry cartoons.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Helen_Combe wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 01:11
FictionLover wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 19:15 :cooking: I like the idea of having dad around helping with the chores.

You’re absolutely right. Kanga in Winnie The Pooh was a single parent too.
Mind you, stats say that in the UK, one quarter of families are now single parent, so it may hurt those children who feel they should be aspiring to something that’s beyond their control. Also single dad families are very poorly represented, though there is Spike and his son in the old Tom and Jerry cartoons.
Very observant, I never thought of Kanga as a single parent, but a lot of children's literature seems focused on the children, and leave the parents to the side. Just like Christopher Robin, I assume he had parents, I don't remember him being an orphan, but they are not discussed.

My son loved Winnie the Pooh! We had books, tapes (now would be CDs) and videos.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I suppose that adding a dad to the story would be very important. But the story is still good as it is. Perhaps the book is communicating about what Psychology teaches as a fact that boys will normally be drawn to their mothers more easily and that the vice versa is also true. I admit however that a father would really be important because it is very probable that some kids while reading this book may raise such a question.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”