Should there be a dad?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Should there be a dad?

Post by kfwilson6 »

Christina Rose wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 08:05 Honestly, I didn't even notice this until I read your question, lol. I don't think it takes away from this book that Toni's father isn't depicted, but adding him to the story wouldn't hurt anything either.

On a side-note -- most superheros have lost one or both parents. Harry Potter, Bruce Wayne, Barry Allen's mom died and his father is in jail, Victor Stone's mom died in the same accident that he was injured in, etc. I'm not saying this is the author's intention, because I don't think it is, I'm just throwing that out there.
I could see the father possibly not being depicted because he is at work, the mom is a single mom, the parents are divorced, etc. But I think it's too early in the target audiences life to introduce tragedy. Of course, some children will have already experienced tragedy, but I can't see parents wanting to introduce them to it if they don't have to. It's nice to keep children in their innocent bubbles as long as possible. For that reason, I doubt Base would make it the case that Toni's father is deceased.

Very relevant side note though. Arrow, Spiderman, and Superman also lost parents. Maybe you have to be a wounded soul to be a superhero :)
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The replies we have been getting are all interesting. I wish we could get the author's reaction. Was it an intentional decision to keep Dad away? Are we even justified to presume the dancing and dishwashing lady as Toni's mom?

It's amazing how we can read so much from such a simple book. It is actually turning out to be one profound piece of writing. I think I'll add an epilogue to the book: Toni likes to ask. I wonder how Debbie Hefke would illustrate that.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I feel like this is a rough topic. Stating that a dad would improve the book is akin to stating that a dad would improve a life.

I wasn't raised by a single mom-my dad was very much there, and I am not myself, a single mom-my husband is incredibly involved in our children's lives. So obviously, a lack of a father hasn't impacted me personally, but I do think that pushing the stereotype of perfect dads is declasse.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

kfwilson6 wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 08:28
Christina Rose wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 08:05 Honestly, I didn't even notice this until I read your question, lol. I don't think it takes away from this book that Toni's father isn't depicted, but adding him to the story wouldn't hurt anything either.

On a side-note -- most superheros have lost one or both parents. Harry Potter, Bruce Wayne, Barry Allen's mom died and his father is in jail, Victor Stone's mom died in the same accident that he was injured in, etc. I'm not saying this is the author's intention, because I don't think it is, I'm just throwing that out there.
I could see the father possibly not being depicted because he is at work, the mom is a single mom, the parents are divorced, etc. But I think it's too early in the target audiences life to introduce tragedy. Of course, some children will have already experienced tragedy, but I can't see parents wanting to introduce them to it if they don't have to. It's nice to keep children in their innocent bubbles as long as possible. For that reason, I doubt Base would make it the case that Toni's father is deceased.

Very relevant side note though. Arrow, Spiderman, and Superman also lost parents. Maybe you have to be a wounded soul to be a superhero :)
I agree that the author is likely not giving Toni a tragic origin story, but I just find that aspect of comic book superheroes to be interesting, and often wondered why. Your wounded soul theory is a good possibility :)
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I do believe that this story would have been great if there was a dad present but I also believe that is was great without one. I think it would have still been a great moral story if it was visa versa and there was a dad in it instead of a mom
Chelsea N. Hackett
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I think the author wants to portray a stay-at-home mom as the dad goes to work.
Secondly, most families are like this the kids always helping out mum around the house unless its outdoors.
Then, considering its a series there can be the incorporation of the father figure in future episodes.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

Dael Reader wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 14:43 Yes. A dad would be a great addition to the book. It would also be good to note exactly who each character pictured is (mom, sister, uncle or otherwise.) There are plenty of children's stories that depict single parents (nearly all Disney films and many fairy tales for instance). And there are also many books that depict dads as either absent (temporarily or permanently) or uninvolved with the child's life. I like to believe that most modern dads don't just go to work, earn money, and leave the moms to do the work of taking care of the kids. So any books that could show both moms and dads being involved with their children would be refreshing.
Hadn't noticed the single parent "thingy" with Disney films, but off the cuff, The Lion King has both parents albeit Mom (Sarabi- leader the lionesses) having a smaller or reduced role, but I will take your word for it. Having a Dad or having both parents in a story would always seem to be better. For Toni the Superhero, Dad helping out or supervising chore(s) wouldn't have been a bad idea.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

ea_anthony wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 18:03
Dael Reader wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 14:43 Yes. A dad would be a great addition to the book. It would also be good to note exactly who each character pictured is (mom, sister, uncle or otherwise.) There are plenty of children's stories that depict single parents (nearly all Disney films and many fairy tales for instance). And there are also many books that depict dads as either absent (temporarily or permanently) or uninvolved with the child's life. I like to believe that most modern dads don't just go to work, earn money, and leave the moms to do the work of taking care of the kids. So any books that could show both moms and dads being involved with their children would be refreshing.
Hadn't noticed the single parent "thingy" with Disney films, but off the cuff, The Lion King has both parents albeit Mom (Sarabi- leader the lionesses) having a smaller or reduced role, but I will take your word for it. Having a Dad or having both parents in a story would always seem to be better. For Toni the Superhero, Dad helping out or supervising chore(s) wouldn't have been a bad idea.
Including dad would be a wonderful idea. Especially with Toni being a boy. Having both parents in the book will reinforce the fact that both children benefit from attention from both parents. Dad could even be included in Toni’s games.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

ea_anthony wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 18:03 Hadn't noticed the single parent "thingy" with Disney films, but off the cuff, The Lion King has both parents albeit Mom (Sarabi- leader the lionesses) having a smaller or reduced role, but I will take your word for it. Having a Dad or having both parents in a story would always seem to be better. For Toni the Superhero, Dad helping out or supervising chore(s) wouldn't have been a bad idea.
LION KING SPOILER: Simba's dad dies in the beginning of the story when Simba is still a cub. So he follows the whole missing parent theme.

I just saw Incredibles 2 and the dad ends up staying home for a bit and has to take over the household duties including taking care of the baby and helping with homework. The film portrays this as if the dad staying home is unusual and Dad doesn't know quite how to handle it. But he gets better as time passes and it shows the kids bonding well with him. I like the portrayal in the movie of the closeness of the family overall.

Toni's family situation is so vague right now there could be a ton of explanations about where dad is. We will just have to see if Dad makes an appearance :)
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

True, Dad dies early in Lion King. I seriously liked Incredibles (Part 1), hope to see 2 soon. Yes again, Dad staying at home is usually newsworthy. These are all good feedback for R.D Base if the club share this.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

Supergirl1 wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 03:47
ea_anthony wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 18:03
Including dad would be a wonderful idea. Especially with Toni being a boy. Having both parents in the book will reinforce the fact that both children benefit from attention from both parents. Dad could even be included in Toni’s games.
True, this would have shown some "balance"
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Sure a dad might be a great addition. A second mom could also be a great addition! Single parents are also great. Representation for all parental situations in children's books are a good thing, in my opinion.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I never even realized that the Dad was missing from the book. Perhaps Toni does not have a Dad in the picture. That is not really unusual in today's family dynamic. It would be good to mention a Dad if the majority of the children being read to have a Dad, but if the author was going for the children that don't, then that is okay too.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

Most children's stories tend to focus on the child and fail to represent the nucleus family. I agree with you that there should be a father or rather a father figure to represent a well knit family. On the contrary the absence of dad doesn't make the story detracting at all. In fact it takes a 'sharp reading eye' to notice there is no dad in the story.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Well we don't know where dad is. Dad might be at work. Can't just assume he's not in the picture.
:techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”