Why doesn't Toni have abilities? Is it a safety reason?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Re: Why doesn't Toni have abilities? Is it a safety reason?

Post by Connie Otwani »

I believe the author's intention was to show that even superheroes do mundane stuff. The children would then happily undertake these tasks in their own lives.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

Kids tend to imitate what they see, especially if they really like it. I think it was a wise choice by the author to leave out depictions that could potentially lead to dangerous outcomes of kids imitayed them.
Calypso Terrier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calypso-terrier.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Calypso Terrier »

I think Toni may not be a real superhero, but a hero in the eyes of his parents because he is always helping them and being a good kid. This book inspires kids and delivers the theme that they don't have to have super abilities to be a superhero.
PeaceLoveNature44
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Cows I Have Known
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peacelovenature44.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by PeaceLoveNature44 »

Carly-maricque wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 09:26 I think the reason that Toni lacks "superhero abilities" is because the author wants to show children good values like reading, helping around the house, healthy eating, etc. When a superhero is doing these things it makes children want to do them too! When reading this book with my daughter, she was very excited that the superhero did some of the same things she does. It is a relatable book for children!
I agree, my son loves to clean, so it made him even more excited to read the book. :) He is just learning to read, and t was thrill to watch him want to read it himself. :D :D
“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

I think Toni not having special abilities, makes him a character you can easily identify with. It teaches children that they don't need to have special abilities to be heroes. All those superhero abilities are only in the movies.They don't happen in the real world.I think this is a commendable read for children.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I think it’s more to show the importance of everyday activities so that kids could relate & learn more by Toni’s example. Sort of like what do superheroes do when they aren’t fighting crime they are doing things that any kid can do. I think it also lets children believe that they can be superheroes too by doing the things that Toni likes to do.
Power Onyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-power-onyango.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Power Onyango »

It is much safer for children to read this book rather than other superheroes novel. The book depicts the real society and is not overrated.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

I can definitely see children more easily relating to a superhero who does chores than one who can fly or shoot lasers out of their eyes, but it definitely poses the threat of "hey that's not a superhero that's just a kid in a costume". Maybe Toni is just a young Batman or Iron Man and his "super powers" will, in the future, merely be lots of money, intellect, and ingenuity. :D
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Bushra Nasim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bushra-nasim.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Bushra Nasim »

Maybe the author wants to convey this message that for being a superhero, you don't need to have extraordinary abilities, but you should use your ordinary abilities in an extraordinary way.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I think that when the author showed Toni doing regular activities like household chores, she did this to so that young boys could relate to the story. If more young boys are inspired to help out around the house after reading this story, that would be a great thing because I grew up around boys and they didn't do any house work. They left their dirty clothes everywhere and I had to pick up after them just to walk from one end of the living room to the other.
:character-ariel:
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

Maybe Tony's superhero powers would have to be demonstrated in a way that would be unsafe for children if they decided to try those positions.
kennyoung
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kennyoung »

yeah,its good he does'nt posses lot of super powers.that could have influenced growing kids in practicing an imaginary scene, Toni is a cool kid and also helps at home!!
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

This a children book. It is important that the lessons taught be customized for them. Children being what they are, will naturally want to practice the activities carried out by their hero in the book. So if Toni were to have super abilities, things might not go well. Kids will want to do anything they see
teevic_o
Currently Reading: Paladin
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teevic-o.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by teevic_o »

I believe the most mundane humans can be heroes too. Not all heroes fly, shoot lasers through their eyes, or teleport. I guess the aim was to appreciate the regular everyday kind of heroes.
What we achieve inwardly will change our outer reality far more greatly than anything else.
~Plutarch
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

The book teaches children that they can be superheroes by being a good person. I think if he was given super powers it would of ruined the theme of the book.
:tiphat:

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”