Why doesn't Toni have abilities? Is it a safety reason?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Re: Why doesn't Toni have abilities? Is it a safety reason?

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I suppose that is precisely the reason Toni doesn't show any superhero streaks. A lot of accidents have been reported to occur while little children have tried to mimic the actions of their favourite superheroes. However, one drawing shows Toni flying, and the same photo is shown as a framed one on his walls. That might be counterproductive.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

It is a safety factor, no doubt. It is also because of the age old sentiment that with a lot of power comes a lot of responsibility. If Toni was to fly all over the place fighting villains, it would mean that he should also be able to clean up any mess that he might make. This makes it difficult for him to simply be allowed to fly and fight villains.
MA
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

I think is mostly because any children can identify with Toni. He does things that everyone can do.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

I think the author's aim was to teach children that you don't need special abilities to be a superhero.They can be a superhero by helping out in the house and carrying out their daily chores.For me, that is quite commendable.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

To be fair, there are precedents for the safety thing. For example, in Peter Pan, it was originally just happy thoughts that enabled you to fly. After various nannies and governesses wrote in to complain about their charges flinging themselves merrily off the tops of wardrobes, the whole "fairy dust" thing was hastily written in.

For those of you thinking that it was so long ago, and children these days are far more sophisticated, there were similar problems with the 1966 Batman TV series ("Holy broken bones, Batman!")

All that said, I don't think this is the case here. I agree that the focus on this is to show how normal people can be superheroes too, even without having/using cool powers ;)
MishM1
Favorite Book: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Currently Reading: Five Knocks
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishm1.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by MishM1 »

I'm not sure that it's a safety issue. I do believe that the author's intention is to influence children to enjoy the everyday activities. I think that the book presents a very realistic, doable way to teach children how to be a "superhero".
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

Why do we need more superheroes with super powers? Super hearing, super speed, flight? Why can't we all be superheroes? I'd say being able to read is the best super power ever!!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Brittany J wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 21:35 I don't think it was for safety reasons. I think it was to encourage children to be good kids, live a healthy lifestyle, and help around the house. Kids look up to superheroes, so the child may be more motivated to do these normal activities when asked. I don't think shielding children from superhero activities such as flying or jumping off of buildings is beneficial to a child. They are still going to try things that may be dangerous regardless of seeing it in media or not, and I think by seeing these things in books or movies, they get the idea that these are not things they can or should be doing.
I think they also realize that superheroes are special in some way that gives them strength, the ability to fly, webbed toes, etc and that because they have "special" abilities, only those superheroes can do those particular things. Kids have a good grasp of what they are and are not capable of. I think they will realize that superhero status usually grants an individual abilities that most of us don't possess.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

MishM1 wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 15:09 I'm not sure that it's a safety issue. I do believe that the author's intention is to influence children to enjoy the everyday activities. I think that the book presents a very realistic, doable way to teach children how to be a "superhero".
I think you are right. I think Toni is more playing dress up and demonstrating to children valuable lessons.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

JudasFm wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 11:34 To be fair, there are precedents for the safety thing. For example, in Peter Pan, it was originally just happy thoughts that enabled you to fly. After various nannies and governesses wrote in to complain about their charges flinging themselves merrily off the tops of wardrobes, the whole "fairy dust" thing was hastily written in.

For those of you thinking that it was so long ago, and children these days are far more sophisticated, there were similar problems with the 1966 Batman TV series ("Holy broken bones, Batman!")

All that said, I don't think this is the case here. I agree that the focus on this is to show how normal people can be superheroes too, even without having/using cool powers ;)
Hmm, maybe the origin of Toni's powers is important then if he has any superpowers that is. It sounds like children need to know that if they see someone fly, leap 10 feet, lift a car, they need to be told that there is something unique about that person that allows him to do that so they won't also attempt it. But Toni is just like them and so they can do what he does.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Melchi Asuma wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 09:16 It is a safety factor, no doubt. It is also because of the age old sentiment that with a lot of power comes a lot of responsibility. If Toni was to fly all over the place fighting villains, it would mean that he should also be able to clean up any mess that he might make. This makes it difficult for him to simply be allowed to fly and fight villains.
Toni is a little young to be fighting villains anyway. It sounds like the only villains he will be fighting are germs!
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Shrabastee wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 07:30 I suppose that is precisely the reason Toni doesn't show any superhero streaks. A lot of accidents have been reported to occur while little children have tried to mimic the actions of their favourite superheroes. However, one drawing shows Toni flying, and the same photo is shown as a framed one on his walls. That might be counterproductive.
The images of him flying were quite confusing. I'm not sure how that and the blurb on the back of the book play in. Will it turn out that Toni has superhuman abilities or not? We will have to wait and see.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

No doubt this book offers good moral lessons in a form it portraits a leading character as avoid child who take interest in all positive activities. The term superhero is used here to teach children they can also become a superhero if they follow good deeds of Toni. It is not a typical superheroes book in which we see villain or something like this.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

This book is absolutely safer for children. Because we see a number if books in the market which do not focus on moral values but this book has focused on moral values to much extent.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The book wants children to behave well in every form. I think if parents properly guide children in this regard it can proof a game changer.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”