Toni the Superhero: Subtle Moral Lessons

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Re: Toni the Superhero: Subtle Moral Lessons

Post by Amy+++ »

I think having subtle morel lessons is great! It teaches kids something without them realizing it.
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

I think Tony is a model child. He helps with the house chores. To me, children should help their parents in carrying out their duties. He has good character.
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

I think any young child reading this would see Toni as a superhero and try to emulate him, such as helping around the house. I like books that get children engaged in real life happenings.
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

Tony as the leading character is expected to be superhuman. Notably, he exerts some influence on the readers especially the kids. His portrayal as a child who love house chores is educative on the children.
Lynsyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynsyn.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Lynsyn »

I think Toni who is a superhero can make the child more interested into his character, but what he does makes the child follow his actions that make the child think that what he/she does can make him/her a superhero. This is a very good moral lesson in the story since our childhood is where our personalities are often formed and developed.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html

Post by Nma26 »

The additional ability to do house chores and help out in the house is good. It gives a better meaning to the word 'superhero'. Other children book authors should copy it.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I would say that the author did an excellent job in conveying good subtle moral lessons. Just because Toni is a superhero, doesn't mean he has to neglect his responsibilities of doing house chores. As well as just because a person is a well-known Hollywood star, doesn't mean he is without responsibilities.

Furthermore, the illustration of Toni spending time at the swimming pool with his friends who are in diverse skin colors is a creative way of teaching the children to respect everyone equally regardless of their skin colors and to not be racist. You will surprised to know that the children also are able to notice this diversity.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

I think that it definitely teaches responsibility to its young readers
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Lolababs94 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 09:59 Did anyone else notice how the author introduced subtle moral lessons?
Your immediate perception of a superhero is someone with super powers. Toni is introduced as a superhero, not just because he has super powers, but also because he helps out in the house, does his chores, etc.

What do you think of this? And, do you think this is something that children authors can adopt in their writing?
Of coarse, doing ordinary tasks by a superhero is a big moral lesson for kids as it will make them a responsible person.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

The subtle moral lessons in the book are great - more children authors should adopt this into their stories. If I had to choose, I would definitely buy these kind of books. I think it's important for the children to equate mundane things such as helping around the house as being a 'superhero'. It encourages positive behaviour. At the very least, they'll probably imagine themselves as Toni while doing it and become more willing to help out!
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I really like this discussion. This aspect of the book reminds me of the Buddhist concept of finding satisfaction in the mundane. This is something that is very difficult to learn as an adult. I like that kids can learn from Toni the concept of appreciating and giving value to the mundane exercises in life as well as the more auspicious times. And if my kid wanted to help with chores because his favorite superhero did, happy day!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 07:17 I would say that the author did an excellent job in conveying good subtle moral lessons. Just because Toni is a superhero, doesn't mean he has to neglect his responsibilities of doing house chores. As well as just because a person is a well-known Hollywood star, doesn't mean he is without responsibilities.

Furthermore, the illustration of Toni spending time at the swimming pool with his friends who are in diverse skin colors is a creative way of teaching the children to respect everyone equally regardless of their skin colors and to not be racist. You will surprised to know that the children also are able to notice this diversity.
Excellent point. Too often people make excuses for not taking care of their responsibilities or they don't want to even claim responsibility for a task. Hopefully this book will help children see that helping around the house, eating healthy, reading, and playing with friends are responsibilities that are theirs.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

I see the true meaning of superhero here. Toni a supero indeed. I love how the author has demonstrated the meaning in this context. Thanks for writing such a beautiful story.
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 469
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

Greatness should be as a result of doing just the ordinary things in an extraordinary manner, love and touch. Toni does exactly this and he therefore deserves the title 'superhero'
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

The daily chores he does practically, making them seem like fun activities rather than tasks beautifies the book so much. I wish I had a young brother who would want to do chores to be like his superhero. I would be so happy.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”