Repetitive Sentences vs. An Interesting Storyline

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Sdejardine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdejardine.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Re: Repetitive Sentences vs. An Interesting Storyline

Post by Sdejardine »

I see your point. It would be more interesting if there was less repetition. However, there are lots of books that do that for children. This book, I believe, was written to help children feel confident about being able to read a book. The repetition makes this possible, and gives them the ability to feel good about being able to read a book. I think the author did a good job creating a story while making the repetitiveness of the story a tool to help children read.
Kgaelsdottir
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kgaelsdottir.html
Latest Review: Final Report by Jeff Shear

Post by Kgaelsdottir »

I warmly think repetition can be useful in certain circumstances; too often and it becomes obnoxious, but in poignant ways, it can be very powerful. I think about a friend of mine, a photojournalist named Robin Hammond, who did work and won several awards for his photo book on mental illness in Africa. He did a multimedia promotion of the book, the work, and the issue itself (the issue was more important to him than any personal recognition, as it affected him deeply). His comment, after each complete thought: "...the forgotten, the ignored, the neglected, the abused."

The repetition was deeply effective.

If a children's book were, for instance, about some issue such as Alzheimer's in a parent (early onset), grandparent, or another relative, it would be effective, and especially poignant, especially since repetition is so much a part of the experience of dealing with a loved one with dementia. Even the repetition of, "I love you."
2qtvixen
Currently Reading: Twisted Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-2qtvixen.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by 2qtvixen »

Repetition is key when young children are learning to read. The story don't necessarily need a plot when young children are learning to read. It also depends on the age of the children when one discusses plots in a story.A plot would be necessary for children between the ages of 6- 12, where as a plot would not make sense for children under 6.
capricornius16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-capricornius16.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by capricornius16 »

It depends, really. If the target audience are children that are just learning to read then repetition is okay. There are certainly ways one can achieve in creating balance between them.
Bushra Nasim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bushra-nasim.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Bushra Nasim »

This book is intended for children and in my opinion, repetitive sentences would help them to grasp new words quickly but obviously, elder audience gets bored by repetition of sentences and for them, the story line is much important.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

I don't think a children's book must have a solid plot. Having repetitive sentences in such a book is helpful. Kids like repetiting words, and repetition helps them learn things fast.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I think that if a child is first learning how to read, then simple sentences may be all they can handle at the moment. But if a child already knows how to read, then they might get bored because they might be expecting a plot.
:character-ariel:
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

I think the repetitive sentences are very interesting to children. They wouldn't be a problem
Allisunny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allisunny.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau

Post by Allisunny »

I think there is an appropriate middle ground that can be achieved. Honestly, the most important thing in children's books, especially those written for very young children, are pictures. I think that if a repetitive sentence structure helps to reinforce the images the child is seeing, then it's good because they're learning to associate words with meaning.

I do think that it would be beneficial for there to be some sort of plot structure as well, though. Even if children can't fully understand every nuance of a story depending on their reading level, I'm not a fan of stories that have no substance at all.
BeatrixPotter
Favorite Book: A Higher Loyalty
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrixpotter.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by BeatrixPotter »

It didn't seem very well matched. The repetitive text seemed to be intended at helping kids to memorize the words.

But the over-simplistic story line and lack of plot or action seemed to be aimed at preschoolers.

Amazing that this book has generated so much discussion.
"There's so much more to a book than just the reading."
-- Maurice Sendak
Columbus + oche
Currently Reading: Anna and the Snowglobe
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Columbus + oche »

reading a storyline with a picture will make a child comprehend the writer thought
BeatrixPotter
Favorite Book: A Higher Loyalty
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrixpotter.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by BeatrixPotter »

I think the lack of a story line would make the book less interesting to older children.

But it's less necessary for toddlers and beginning readers. Think of books like Good Night, Moon or Sheep In a Jeep that are repetitive with little to no story line because they are aimed at younger children.
"There's so much more to a book than just the reading."
-- Maurice Sendak
ssnv893
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssnv893.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello

Post by ssnv893 »

I don't think the plot is as important in children's books as long as the pictures are captivating enough. Repetitive sentences help kids learn to read faster.
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

I both repetitive sentences and a continous story line would do. However that would depend on the age bracket. For those below the age of 5 or those that have just started school, repetitive sentences would be most suitable. This is because these are kids who are very green in the learning environment so reapting something helps the information stick for a longer period in their young minds
debbielouise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbielouise.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by debbielouise »

The book is aimed at new readers so I think the repetitive words helps them to gain confidence and enjoy reading rather than it always being a struggle. The pictures are what makes a book interesting at that age. Books with more of a plot can always be read aloud to children. That way they can engage fully with the story, rather than having to sound out each word and lose the enjoyment.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”