Repetitive Sentences vs. An Interesting Storyline

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Re: Repetitive Sentences vs. An Interesting Storyline

Post by haleygerstenberg »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 10:24 This was my biggest problem with this story. I don't think it needs to be one or the other. Especially if there are follow-on books. There could have been a bit more depth to the story, while keeping the sentences simple enough to read and understand.
If Dick and Jane could do it, I'm sure Toni can too.
That's a really good point about Dick and Jane, I was trying to think of a good example of simplistic writing + interesting enough story, and you hit the nail on the head.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

haleygerstenberg wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 14:55
Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 10:24 This was my biggest problem with this story. I don't think it needs to be one or the other. Especially if there are follow-on books. There could have been a bit more depth to the story, while keeping the sentences simple enough to read and understand.
If Dick and Jane could do it, I'm sure Toni can too.
That's a really good point about Dick and Jane, I was trying to think of a good example of simplistic writing + interesting enough story, and you hit the nail on the head.
You know, as much as Dick and Jane get put down, they are a duo that EVERYONE knows. The sentences are simple to the point of, "Run, Dick, run."
How can that possibly be interesting?
But their story had pulp. I don't think there is a comparison, really.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I think that having repetitive sentences is more important than an interesting plot in a children's book. Or better still, a balance between the two is the best choice I will go with. Both repetitive sentences, to help with their vocabulary development and interesting plot to prevent boredom.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

This book has a purpose other than what adults expect in their reading pleasure. The repetitive sentences are there to appeal to the rote memory of a child. Mastery of words is one goal of the book for every child reader. In my opinion, a child should not be expected to be yet analytical as to look for a plot being configured as he reads along.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I think for a children's book, a repetitive structure is important for the kids to learn to read. Since this book has follow-ups the child may be potent enough later on to understand and indulge in the story, so the author should try making her upcoming books more focused on plot and make it interesting.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

I think that repetitive sentences is a plus for children's book as it will help them be familiarised with the story easily. It is also a way of emphasising the main theme of the book.
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

dflanky247 wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 02:52 I think for a children's book, a repetitive structure is important for the kids to learn to read. Since this book has follow-ups the child may be potent enough later on to understand and indulge in the story, so the author should try making her upcoming books more focused on plot and make it interesting.
Exactly my opinions, I second you.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I thought that the book was excellent for kids learning how to read as the author used sight words, simple sentences, and repetition. I would not recommend it to kids who already know how to read because they might lose interest for how easy it is for them.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

We are talking about children that are from 1 years old to about 4 years old. They are not old enough to follow a long plot. They like repetition and this book does that wonderfully.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
AnorakFr0st
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anorakfr0st.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by AnorakFr0st »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 08:34 Having simple repetitive sentences in a children's book helps kids learn to read. However, it makes the story less interesting because there is either a weak plot or no plot at all. In this case, there wasn't even steps in the plot such as a character baking a cake from beginning to end. Instead, there were just a different activity shown on each page. Would the lack of a traditional plot make a child less interested or would the child love the book even more because they could master the words quicker and gain confidence?
When children are first beginning to transition from baby books to chapter books, repetitive sentences are quite useful for them. For books like this, I believe that the author was more interested in helping the child learn how to read instead of putting together an actual plot. Not having much of an interesting story can bore you, I understand that completely. It tends to make the book drag on and doesn't leave an impression on you. However, for this book I do believe that the way it was written was better for education purposes than entertainment. :techie-studyinggray:
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

An adult reader could find the book boring as a result of the excessive repetition. But believe your me, such is what is needed to get the child's mastery of the book.
Lynsyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynsyn.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Lynsyn »

The repetitive sentences may be quite boring, but it sure helps the child understand more on what he/she is reading. And that is basically the main objective of the author and the parents.
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

I hate so much repetitions. They make an otherwise interesting novel sound boring.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I agree there is a weak plot and repetition may make the reading less interesting. However, this book is designed for kids who have just started reading. So using simple sentence is enough for them.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Anthony Martial Tata wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 00:21 An adult reader could find the book boring as a result of the excessive repetition. But believe your me, such is what is needed to get the child's mastery of the book.
I agree with your point. The book may not be as interesting for adults as it is for children because of repetition. We can hope that in next books the author will come up with a new style and topics regarding Toni's personality to ward off this boredom.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”