Repetitive Sentences vs. An Interesting Storyline

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Re: Repetitive Sentences vs. An Interesting Storyline

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I think this would only be a problem with older children. Younger children have as much of a need for a more interesting plot.
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

I think for younger, newer readers, this type of repetition is best. Children learn to read and comprehend words, with the aid of pictures. In my experience with children, they like to make up their own story just by looking at an interesting picture. This book would be great for spending time on each page, letting the children read the simple sentence and then allowing them to use their imagination to create several mini-stories.
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I think this book works. I have a young relative in preschool. It really bothers her that she cannot read yet, so I think that simple and repetitive sentences are a big help. This method can build confidence through that repetition, and confidence is important when building foundations!
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I do not believe repetitive sentences help. Kids can get bored easily reading the same stuff over and over. Maybe younger kids who do not care for the plot would not see it, but older kids will definitely be put off.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”