The Next Installments in the Series

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Re: The Next Installments in the Series

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I liked the book as the very first one of the series and in my opinion, the repetitive nature of sentences were good for the beginners. But I sincerely hope that the later books will show different aspects of Toni's life. That will bring a little more variation and make the books more interesting. I am also hoping that the future books will be for the next level of readers, hence will be a tad more complex. As bookowlie suggested, placing Toni in different settings will help us to further explore his story.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

kfwilson6 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 12:07
prinjeh18 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 01:07
holsam_87 wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 00:02 I think the repetitive nature of the writing will continue. It gives a chance to use sight words over and over, and it will build their confidence in their reading skills.
I'm thinking the same thing. Hoping for more valuable words will come out. Probably, outdoor games will increase.
There could be a sports book where "Toni plays" is a repetitive phrase or a vacation book where "Toni visits" if Base wanted to continue with being very simplistic and having only one verb used in each. She could also begin to add adjectives and adverbs. Toni pets a furry cat, Toni pets a colorful parrot, Toni pets a slimy lizard. :)
This is a very good idea. Gently introducing different verbs, adverbs and more nouns will bring in variation, make it more interesting and will be perfect for the next level of readers,who has already mastered the basics of reading and are looking for more.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 10:16 Do we know yet if Toni is going to still be a superhero in the follow-on books? Or was that only the first one? It might not fit in as well with what he does next.
Toni is a protagonist character. So definitely he will remain the superhero of this book.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

palilogy wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 13:40 I could see more of the same in a second book installment.
Repetitive nature.
It would be interesting to see him interact more - maybe in school or on a field trip or even a weekend with his family could be pleasant.
I agree the Toni will do some more challenging superhero tasks retain the of the readers.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

holsam_87 wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 00:02 I think the repetitive nature of the writing will continue. It gives a chance to use sight words over and over, and it will build their confidence in their reading skills.
Yes, keeping in mind young readers the author would continue the repetitive style of writing this book.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Shrabastee wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 01:43 I liked the book as the very first one of the series and in my opinion, the repetitive nature of sentences were good for the beginners. But I sincerely hope that the later books will show different aspects of Toni's life. That will bring a little more variation and make the books more interesting. I am also hoping that the future books will be for the next level of readers, hence will be a tad more complex. As bookowlie suggested, placing Toni in different settings will help us to further explore his story.
Yeah I feel that in next installments the Toni should be represented with some new angle and a bit complexity is good to keep children engage in the story.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Charlaigne wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 22:14 I noticed that a few reviewers criticised the book for its lack of plot. I also noticed that the upcoming books will address some of their concerns as in, Toni will get to go on a few more adventures and deal with different things.

Nothing wrong with that approach, but then as kfwilson6 above notes, you would expect a reasonable price for each book. Because the books are so simple, I don't see that a child will spend a great deal of time on each one. Or am I being optimistic here? Each of the books is quite short.
Of coarse, the price of the book should be reasonable so that everyone could access the book for their children.

📕📖📰📓📕
Shrabastee Chakraborty

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 10:23
Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 10:16 Do we know yet if Toni is going to still be a superhero in the follow-on books? Or was that only the first one? It might not fit in as well with what he does next.
It will be interesting to see if he is still a superhero. I thought he was actually a superhero in this book, although I see some members just thought he was dressing up as one.
In this book, the description says that Toni is indeed a superhero. The daily activities detailed are the ones he does when 'he is not busy saving the world'. But since his superhero activities are not shown here (except for one picture where he flies), I got the feel that he is considered a superhero not because of his power but because of his participation in day-to-day activities and thus having an ideal character. I am certainly hoping to see what other aspects of Toni unfold in the next books.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

kfwilson6 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 20:50 I think Toni will still be portrayed as a superhero, after all, superheroes stick with their costumes once they choose them. I think the words and sentence structure will become more complex in each book, but in very minor ways. It does seem like there are endless possibilities for books based on things and activities that Toni likes. I think this could make a great collection of books, but $9.99 per book is a little steep.
I did not know the pricing, it really seems a bit steep, especially for children's books. I liked the book and thought it perfect for the would-be-readers, but I expect more from the next installments. I am hoping the next ones will be for the next level of readers with a bit more complex sentences, just like you suggested.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

kfwilson6 wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 22:07 Here is the book description for Toni the Superhero Loves Vegetables. It definitely sounds like he's not your traditional superhero.

"Kids don’t need reasons to eat vegetables. They need the impulse to eat vegetables, because that’s what superheroes do. When Toni the Superhero eats his veggies, he gets amazing powers, like strong bones for life. With vegetables, Toni wins any fight against dastardly bad guys like germs. Show your kids that plant foods are packed with power, and soon they will be too! Toni the Superhero Loves Vegetables is the second of the Toni tales from author R.D. Base. Keep an eye out soon for book number three. The strongest eyes will see it first, so eat your carrots now!"
Okay! I take it that veggies are good for a superhero (is anyone else reminded of Popeye and his spinach?), but does he finally show some superhero streaks here? I am also hoping to see the sentence structure become a little more varied.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

kemp1kor wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 22:23 My guess would be that the lessons will progress in the later books. As the intended audience is children learning to read, it would make sense for the books to become progressively more difficult.
Exactly! I am also hoping the same. The sentence structures can be more varied, some different words can be introduced to make it suitable for the next level of readers, those who have already learnt the basics and are looking for more.
Lynsyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynsyn.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Lynsyn »

I sincerely hope that in the next installments, the author would introduce us to Toni's family, friends, relatives, his neighborhood, and the people around him in general so that it may add more variation to Toni's life and more sentences to learn and understand for kids. Also, Toni showcasing his superpowers even in his mundane life, after all, he's a superhero and that's what makes the child interested in.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Shrabastee wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 02:45
kfwilson6 wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 22:07 Here is the book description for Toni the Superhero Loves Vegetables. It definitely sounds like he's not your traditional superhero.

"Kids don’t need reasons to eat vegetables. They need the impulse to eat vegetables, because that’s what superheroes do. When Toni the Superhero eats his veggies, he gets amazing powers, like strong bones for life. With vegetables, Toni wins any fight against dastardly bad guys like germs. Show your kids that plant foods are packed with power, and soon they will be too! Toni the Superhero Loves Vegetables is the second of the Toni tales from author R.D. Base. Keep an eye out soon for book number three. The strongest eyes will see it first, so eat your carrots now!"
Okay! I take it that veggies are good for a superhero (is anyone else reminded of Popeye and his spinach?), but does he finally show some superhero streaks here? I am also hoping to see the sentence structure become a little more varied.
I get the impression from this blurb that Toni's superhero abilities are limited to things any child can do. I think those who said Toni's kindness and willingness to help are his superhero traits may be correct.
"...dastardly bad guys like germ." Sounds like he will be washing his hands and brushing his teeth regularly!!!
Starting to think Toni won't be spending much time rescuing cats from trees...
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Charlaigne wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 22:14 I noticed that a few reviewers criticised the book for its lack of plot. I also noticed that the upcoming books will address some of their concerns as in, Toni will get to go on a few more adventures and deal with different things.

Nothing wrong with that approach, but then as kfwilson6 above notes, you would expect a reasonable price for each book. Because the books are so simple, I don't see that a child will spend a great deal of time on each one. Or am I being optimistic here? Each of the books is quite short.
This book may get read a few times, but if the expectation is that this is a beginning book to guide children toward developing their reading skills, you would actually want children to quickly move on from this one and its simplicity. Might be a good keeper for a preschool teacher, daycare center, or parents with multiple young children though.
I wouldn't want to continuously buy books for $10 that my children will quickly advance past.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Lynsyn wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 06:47 I sincerely hope that in the next installments, the author would introduce us to Toni's family, friends, relatives, his neighborhood, and the people around him in general so that it may add more variation to Toni's life and more sentences to learn and understand for kids. Also, Toni showcasing his superpowers even in his mundane life, after all, he's a superhero and that's what makes the child interested in.
I want this too. We have already met with Toni's friends. And now we want to see a few more new kith and kins.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”