The Next Installments in the Series

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Re: The Next Installments in the Series

Post by Brittany J »

Since the purpose is to teach reading, I think the author has a lot of opportunity with this series since there is no real plot yet. I think for a while, it should be kept simple with the purpose of repetition and reading. The next one could be a book about what Toni can do or cannot do. Another could be about what Toni has. "Toni has a mother, a dog, etc."
Samanthajayne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthajayne12.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Samanthajayne12 »

The series could literally be about anything for this book. It's has a very wide range of options. It would be good to have Toni attend different day trips and maybe even attending school!
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I am actually quite excited for the next installment as the possibilities are endless. Maybe he could actually use his superpowers to do his chores or he could go for an adventure.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

Toni is going to Like Vegetables, Like to Read and he is going to Save the Day - according to the author. It is written on the last page of the book.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

There are limited topics to touch about if the author is to remain true to his/her aim of helping children who are of that specific age range to read. These children have a limited scope of understanding. While I think the author would be free to explore other areas, I believe the author can't go beyond the 'fun' subject matter which the child can understand...
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Here is the book description for Toni the Superhero Loves Vegetables. It definitely sounds like he's not your traditional superhero.

"Kids don’t need reasons to eat vegetables. They need the impulse to eat vegetables, because that’s what superheroes do. When Toni the Superhero eats his veggies, he gets amazing powers, like strong bones for life. With vegetables, Toni wins any fight against dastardly bad guys like germs. Show your kids that plant foods are packed with power, and soon they will be too! Toni the Superhero Loves Vegetables is the second of the Toni tales from author R.D. Base. Keep an eye out soon for book number three. The strongest eyes will see it first, so eat your carrots now!"
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

My guess would be that the lessons will progress in the later books. As the intended audience is children learning to read, it would make sense for the books to become progressively more difficult.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

holsam_87 wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 00:02 I think the repetitive nature of the writing will continue. It gives a chance to use sight words over and over, and it will build their confidence in their reading skills.
Yes , I think this too. The author continue its repetitive style. However in next installments he will introduce other aspects of Toni's personality.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
PABS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabs.html
Latest Review: This Side of Paradise: the Religious World of Elijah Muhammad by Curtis J. Tilleraas

Post by PABS »

Educators build on what came before. Dolch sight words, for example, increase in complexity over a period of years. Perhaps the complexity of the books will increase as well.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

Well, I have yet to read it, but from previous posts and threads, I would like to see where it goes. I think sticking closely to more of the same from the first book is a good idea. And depending on how many books are in the series, maybe progress each time. Not just right off the back.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 00:59
holsam_87 wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 00:02 I think the repetitive nature of the writing will continue. It gives a chance to use sight words over and over, and it will build their confidence in their reading skills.
Yes , I think this too. The author continue its repetitive style. However in next installments he will introduce other aspects of Toni's personality.
That is a possibility, especially with the other book titles.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

PABS wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 09:34 Educators build on what came before. Dolch sight words, for example, increase in complexity over a period of years. Perhaps the complexity of the books will increase as well.
Hopefully not too much, after all the age group is very young children.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

I was completely satisfied with the way the writer brought up the first installment and I hope the subsequent installments will be along the same line.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

This edition concerns itself with instilling the good attitude children should have towards work. Maybe, next time it will be about how children should behave in school, social functions or the like. It will not exactly be like the chivalry thing, but at least the kind of manners they should develop towards society in general, aside from that in the home with family.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

I'm looking forward to reading the second series of the book. Hope it will be just as nice as the first series.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”