Does it matter that little Tony is black?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Shraddha_rc
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shraddha-rc.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Re: Does it matter that little Tony is black?

Post by Shraddha_rc »

Miriam Molina wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 06:29 Some reviews of this book are actually comparing Toni to T'Challa of Black Panther fame. I say it's about time we shatter the myth of white superheroes.
True. Only white people can't be superheroes. That's not right to think. Black people can be the protagonists too.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

Black or not black. Toni was a charismatic character. I do not think anyone would hate him.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

It doesn't mater and it should not matter. I may be naive but I doubt the young readers even notice.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:

Maybe, racists white parents plus their kids would be aggrieved by Toni's black colour. As for me, I had no problem with him being black.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

Allyseria wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 18:49 I think it's good that Tony is black. There are very few children books out there that has the main character being from an ethnic minority. If children are reading these kind of books when they're young, they'll be more accepting of black people in the future. Also, for other black kids, it's nice to be represented in books.

I am Asian but was born in the UK. When I was younger, all the children books were about white kids. I didn't even question it - I didn't see any difference between me and them and I had no problem reading these books.
I also really appreciate the fact that Toni is black.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:

I was never bothered by Toni's skin orientation. I think he was a fantastic character.
Raya raymond

Post by Raya raymond »

David Horta Alonso wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 00:28 Black or not black. Toni was a charismatic character. I do not think anyone would hate him.
True
Raya raymond

Post by Raya raymond »

Miriam Molina wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 06:29 Some reviews of this book are actually comparing Toni to T'Challa of Black Panther fame. I say it's about time we shatter the myth of white superheroes.
I strongly agree.
Raya raymond

Post by Raya raymond »

Bookmermaid wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 08:22
cristinaro wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 05:33 Tony is a jovial little black kid always with a broad smile on his face. He is engaged in the typical activities of a kid his age.

Is he meant to defy the superhero stereotype especially since he does not seem to be doing anything extraordinary?
Did you feel the book undermines the myth of the white superhero and carries a message of inter-racial tolerance?

My fear is the message could be exactly the opposite. Little black kids can only do ordinary things like helping their mother, sweeping the floor or dusting the furniture. The superpowers still belong to the little white kids. I am wondering if Tony will actually have some superpowers in the next books of the series. What do you think?
I would also be worried if this was the message that the book ingrained in the minds of black children. It's amazing how complicated a simple story can become.
I think it's overthinking that complicates it.
Raya raymond

Post by Raya raymond »

David Horta Alonso wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 13:13 Maybe, racists white parents plus their kids would be aggrieved by Toni's black colour. As for me, I had no problem with him being black.
I don't think any sensible person would have a problem with it.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I personally don't think race is an important factor in whether someone is extraordinary. For his age his is extraordinary for his helpfulness and kindness. I'm glad that this book isn't making kids think that they can stop bullets and fly. What would superpowers really be for a child? There is definitely safety concerns and a want to make children feel special, needed, helpful, and influential.
Leyla
Currently Reading: Banished Threads
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Leyla »

I agree with all the posts above. This book comes at the perfect time when Black Panther has reached sky high at the box office. Children now a days don't normally differentiate colour when reading books. Their imaginations usually get the best of them. It's us adults that usually identify with racism as it is closer to our time. Bumblebee in DC Superhero High is an African-American girl. But the children don't single her out because of her complexion, it's not important to them.
psspcj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psspcj.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by psspcj »

This didn't matter to me and actually at first, I didn't notice it at all. I believe this will be good for a children book to have a superhero as black which will eventually help them understand the diversity in the world and accept it. I totally agree with it.
Niski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niski.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Niski »

Diversity is important in children's books. I think the fact that Toni is black makes no difference to a child reading the book.
capricornius16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-capricornius16.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by capricornius16 »

It doesn't matter. There's diversity in real life so why shouldn't it be like that in books and other mediums as well?

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”