Is Toni Really A Superhero?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Re: Is Toni Really A Superhero?

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

kdstrack wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 20:23 I did not see Toni as a superhero. Given his age, I believe the adults in his life played along with his fantasy of being extraordinary. This is normal play for children at this age. As parents, we like to encourage positive behaviors in our children. One way to do this could be by telling them that they are our 'superheroes'.
This story delivers many positive messages which parents can use to teach children. Yes the story shares simple tasks, however it has lot of potential to learn.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Kids love to pretend to be superheros, but unfortunately, superheros (as portrayed in movies, etc) aren't real. By showing the things that little kids CAN accomplish and labeling those things as superhero accomplishments feeds a balanced and realistic mindset.
Oscar Osman
Currently Reading: Winning the war on cancer
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oscar-osman.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Oscar Osman »

Toni is a superhero since he teaches children on how to read. Besides, he also wears shorts just like the children.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

As per me, Toni is a superhero the fact that he doesn't wear his underwear outside and secondly he helps at home willingly. Well, he might not be a superhero to everyone but to his parents he is. To add on that, he is also a good kid.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

My four-year-old is very much into superheroes at the moment. I loved that I could use the actions of Toni as reference and show my son that when he helps me in and around the house, he becomes my superhero. As a parent, you use every tool you can.
Carly-maricque
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-maricque.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Carly-maricque »

Hmmm.. Good question! I think you could answer it either way. For example, he actually is a real superhero and does normal daily activities. Or he could be a boy just pretending to be a superhero.
Purity chelagat
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Purity chelagat »

I don't think he is a superhero, the story was only for motivation
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Toni may not possess special superpowers like a real superhero has, but his greatness in doing good deeds, performing house chores, and becoming a responsible person in his young age made him a personified version of a genuine superhero. He can't fly; he can't make out a single magic stunt, but the qualities he possessed are that of superheroes. He is an example for children to follow.
jay_2
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-2.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by jay_2 »

To some, he is. To me, he is. Other people probably wouldn’t view him as a superhero based on his daily activities. He gets his job done. He cleans, does chores. He is the perfect example of how children should be. And to any parent, that is their definition of a super hero.
Adediran Israel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adediran-israel.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Adediran Israel »

Toni is a superhero in my own opinion, any kid that can in one way or the other make the parent happy can be considered a superhero.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Carly-maricque wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 14:41 Hmmm.. Good question! I think you could answer it either way. For example, he actually is a real superhero and does normal daily activities. Or he could be a boy just pretending to be a superhero.
I agree. I think you can make an argument for both. There is a lot of ambiguity here. We see images of Toni flying and the back of the book says it is about Toni when he is not saving the day. He also wears the superhero costume. But we are given a list of Toni's very ordinary interests. Hard to tell so far.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Purity chelagat wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 14:46 I don't think he is a superhero, the story was only for motivation
Maybe we just need to give kids capes so they can "fly" around the house doing chores ;)
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Helen_Combe wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 03:33 When I read the book, I felt that Toni wasn’t a superhero, he was a little boy with a superhero costume. Her probably believes that he is a superhero and he probably believes that he can fly. However, from a parent’s point of view, he is a superhero because he is such a good, healthy and happy boy.
Did you think he was a superhero?
I hoped to see at least some superhero streaks in Toni, but clearly there wasn't any,not even in the second book of the series. However, his healthy habits and lively interaction with family and friends make him an ideal character for young children to follow, and there lies his superpowers.
Superhero or not, I believe children will surely love Toni and his daily activities. Nevertheless, I hope to find a little variation in the story and in the sentence structure in the next books.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I'm so amazed at the amount of skepticism over this children's book. But, I think Toni is just simply called a superhero for helping out. In other words, Toni saves the day.
Last edited by gali on 02 Aug 2018, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Self-promoting
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
v i n
Favorite Book: Roadmap to the End of Days
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-i-n.html
Latest Review: Our pastor has gone mad again by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by v i n »

I firmly agree with you. it was only from the parental viewpoint and the costumes that classify him. from the readers' viewpoint, No. ton is just a happy and healthy young boy.

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”