Toni the Superhero

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Anthony Martial Tata
Posts: 158
Joined: 08 Jul 2018, 23:44
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Toni the Superhero

Post by Anthony Martial Tata » 21 Jul 2018, 00:02

Traditionally, participating in girls chores would have made Tony an object of ridicule and mockery. However, time have changed and today there is no strict line drawn between activities performed girls or boys. Children should be prepared to do whatever comes their way from an early age.

User avatar
Shrabastee
Posts: 1236
Joined: 23 Mar 2018, 00:38
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 126
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 185
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 495
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Shrabastee » 23 Jul 2018, 05:14

In my culture, these household chores used to be considered typical for girls or women of the house. In recent years the idea has changed much, yet not to that extent as should be ideal for gender equality in the society. With respect to that, I believe the boy children should learn from an impressionable age that there should be no 'boy job' or 'girl job'. I hope this book can serve that purpose.

Nma26
Posts: 202
Joined: 26 Apr 2018, 09:40
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 » 24 Jul 2018, 05:58

Yes, it could be a deterrent or a catalyst, depending on the way the mother or father sees responsibility carried out by each gender.Sometimes, the culture of a people, also influences how parents see these responsibilities; and may influence their subsequent recommendation of the book to their child.

User avatar
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 2061
Joined: 14 Feb 2018, 15:30
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 101
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 » 24 Jul 2018, 12:16

stacie k wrote:
14 Jul 2018, 00:44
For me, I love to see all kids doing all types of chores. It will better prepare them for life, to be a better spouse and a better member of society.
Yes! Let's help make those men better husbands. I'm personally quite grateful that my husband has more cooking skills than I do, in the kitchen and on the grill. And women should know how to fix things so they can contribute in that way too. The more skills one learns in the household, the more skills one may grow for a career one day (mechanic, chef, construction worker).

User avatar
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 2061
Joined: 14 Feb 2018, 15:30
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 101
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 » 24 Jul 2018, 12:18

Shrabastee wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 05:14
In my culture, these household chores used to be considered typical for girls or women of the house. In recent years the idea has changed much, yet not to that extent as should be ideal for gender equality in the society. With respect to that, I believe the boy children should learn from an impressionable age that there should be no 'boy job' or 'girl job'. I hope this book can serve that purpose.
Absolutely! If there is work to be done then everyone should be helping to get it done. If you don't know how to do something, learn from someone who does and eventually you can contribute to that task. Hopefully those sharing a household will all feel the same way about this so chores can be divided equitably.

User avatar
CinWin
Posts: 565
Joined: 29 Apr 2018, 18:42
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin » 25 Jul 2018, 21:17

Um... there are 'girl's' chores and 'boy's' chores? OMG we haven't gotten over even that yet? Doesn't bode well for our society if we are still thinking in those veins!
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----

User avatar
Raya raymond
Posts: 273
Joined: 09 Jul 2017, 05:48
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond » 26 Jul 2018, 06:46

Yes I think the fact that Tony does all this chores that were traditionally believed to belong to girls could either encourage or deter parents from getting this book for their boy child. In my opinion, parents should get this book for their boys because it could be a start to raising better men

User avatar
Shrabastee
Posts: 1236
Joined: 23 Mar 2018, 00:38
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 126
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 185
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 495
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Shrabastee » 26 Jul 2018, 07:18

kfwilson6 wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 12:18
Shrabastee wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 05:14
In my culture, these household chores used to be considered typical for girls or women of the house. In recent years the idea has changed much, yet not to that extent as should be ideal for gender equality in the society. With respect to that, I believe the boy children should learn from an impressionable age that there should be no 'boy job' or 'girl job'. I hope this book can serve that purpose.
Absolutely! If there is work to be done then everyone should be helping to get it done. If you don't know how to do something, learn from someone who does and eventually you can contribute to that task. Hopefully those sharing a household will all feel the same way about this so chores can be divided equitably.
I agree, that is what should prevail in an ideal society. However, what happens in real life is far from ideal. Suppose both the husband and the wife are working and at the end of the day both reach home exhausted. In most cases (there are exceptions), the wife now has to cook meals or take care of children while the husband might relax. This is a sad fact yet true.

User avatar
onixpam
Posts: 317
Joined: 14 Feb 2018, 00:19
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 33
Currently Reading: The Bishop's Legacy
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam » 26 Jul 2018, 15:20

Some cultures may be, but in my family, every activity is made by any gender. All is about perspective.

User avatar
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 1912
Joined: 18 Nov 2017, 11:21
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Homeward by Denis Pickwell

Post by EvaDar » 27 Jul 2018, 01:16

Gravy wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 03:57
I feel so badly for kids whose parents can't see the pain they put their kids through. And even worse for those whose parents just don't care, as long as they don't go against the status quo.
This is one of the things I love about these books. In many ways, they defy tradition. The diversity, the non-traditional gender roles. I really like it and I think this age is the right time to start promoting the acceptance and normalization of differences and individuality. I do love Toni! Even his name is spelled using the more usual spelling for a girl Toni.
When I am afraid to speak is when I speak.
That is when it is most important.
-Nayyirah Waheed

User avatar
Amy+++
Posts: 694
Joined: 12 Apr 2018, 17:49
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 700
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Dark Ghost
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ » 27 Jul 2018, 02:13

Wheather they are inside chores, or outside chores. Boy or girl. It is a good idea to teach kids to do all sorts of things, that way when they get older and live on their own they know how to clean the kitchen or do their own laundry. For a parent not to do that because they think that cleaning the house is a girl's job or vice versa doesn't really help the child. My mom taught me how to change the tires and check the oil, change the oil. How to do plumbing and electrical work along with cleaning and maintaining the house. I don't always enjoy it but if I was ever by myself and something happened I would know what to do. But in the end I guess it just depends on who raised you.

User avatar
Dolor
Posts: 2292
Joined: 07 Nov 2017, 14:41
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12570
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: Evinall by Adam Witkowski
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor » 30 Jul 2018, 21:56

Responsibility should be taught at a young age and it doesn't matter which chores are for girls or for boys. Both should learn to be independent so both should learn all chores.

User avatar
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 2061
Joined: 14 Feb 2018, 15:30
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 101
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 » 31 Jul 2018, 18:50

Amy+++ wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 02:13
Wheather they are inside chores, or outside chores. Boy or girl. It is a good idea to teach kids to do all sorts of things, that way when they get older and live on their own they know how to clean the kitchen or do their own laundry. For a parent not to do that because they think that cleaning the house is a girl's job or vice versa doesn't really help the child. My mom taught me how to change the tires and check the oil, change the oil. How to do plumbing and electrical work along with cleaning and maintaining the house. I don't always enjoy it but if I was ever by myself and something happened I would know what to do. But in the end I guess it just depends on who raised you.
This is an excellent perception on life. I absolutely agree with you. Parents should give their children as many advantages in life as they can. The more skills one has, the better I think.

User avatar
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 2061
Joined: 14 Feb 2018, 15:30
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 101
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 » 31 Jul 2018, 18:52

Dolor wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 21:56
Responsibility should be taught at a young age and it doesn't matter which chores are for girls or for boys. Both should learn to be independent so both should learn all chores.
Yes! independence is so important in today's society. If you are living alone before marriage or never get married, you will either have to learn how to cook, clean, take care of the lawn etc. or hire someone to do those things. Those aren't tasks most people can hire out. So everyone should learn basic tasks and chores to live alone.

User avatar
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 2061
Joined: 14 Feb 2018, 15:30
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 101
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 » 31 Jul 2018, 18:57

Eva Darrington wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 01:16
Gravy wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 03:57
I feel so badly for kids whose parents can't see the pain they put their kids through. And even worse for those whose parents just don't care, as long as they don't go against the status quo.
This is one of the things I love about these books. In many ways, they defy tradition. The diversity, the non-traditional gender roles. I really like it and I think this age is the right time to start promoting the acceptance and normalization of differences and individuality. I do love Toni! Even his name is spelled using the more usual spelling for a girl Toni.
It is never too early to learn good values. I wish more people would have noticed the spelling. I hate when people say or spell my name incorrectly when they should know better. Poor Toni keeps getting called Tony all over the forum.

Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”